Heartbeat Sensor on Dualshock 5

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Could be used for Kinect-like Yoga game, where you attempt to obtain peaceful meditation.
Could be used for Kinect-like Fitness game, where you attempt to obtain cardio or burn zones.

All while holding this controller.

Or strapping it to your tights, like switch adventure fit thingy

Btw currently, on PS4, even the gyro was left unused although it would be awesome to use with shooters.

Nintendo showed that really well. Or if you use pc, try using it to play shooters on pc. Ds4 Gyro works well.

Btw currently, on PS4, even the gyro was left unused although it would be awesome to use with shooters.

Nintendo showed that really well. Or if you use pc, try using it to play shooters on pc. Ds4 Gyro works well.
Awesome is subjective. When mellowing on my couch or in my easy chair, waving my arms about is not ideal. Now if you are making it a kinect like experience where that's part of the game it's fine but...

How much effort do you put into a niche feature that not everyone wants to use? Or do you make it a core focus feature that will put it on some no buy lists and limit your target market?

Same with this heartbeat monitor... how much money should be spent putting this in every controller so that the smallest fraction of games can use it. If we took a poll a $399.49 ps5 without might well beat a $399.99 ps5 with a heartbeat monitor.

Awesome is subjective. When mellowing on my couch or in my easy chair, waving my arms about is not ideal. Now if you are making it a kinect like experience where that's part of the game it's fine but...

How much effort do you put into a niche feature that not everyone wants to use? Or do you make it a core focus feature that will put it on some no buy lists and limit your target market?

Same with this heartbeat monitor... how much money should be spent putting this in every controller so that the smallest fraction of games can use it. If we took a poll a $399.49 ps5 without might well beat a $399.99 ps5 with a heartbeat monitor.

if you wave your arms around to aim a gun using gyro, the game deveolper need to be slapped hahaha.

EDIT:
btw for those with certain needs, maybe limited motor capabilities, they still can aim without gyro.

Could be used for Kinect-like Yoga game, where you attempt to obtain peaceful meditation.
Could be used for Kinect-like Fitness game, where you attempt to obtain cardio or burn zones.

All while holding this controller.

Microsoft Band started as Kinect-like accessory that continuously tracked your heart rate. It was created by a few folks on the Xbox accessories group.

Tommy McClain

Microsoft Band started as Kinect-like accessory that continuously tracked your heart rate. It was created by a few folks on the Xbox accessories group.

Tommy McClain
that is an interesting tidbit!

btw now i remember Kienect also can do rough heart rate readings right? But i dont think any game ever used it.

So the sentiment here is:
- Screw innovation, we all just want moar frames and moar pixels. It's better to never try something innovative than to risk ever failing at all. We're content with our 15 year-old gamepads leave us alone.

Got it.
What a load of baloney. Improvements like the haptic feedback are things people seem to be looking forwards to. People are in favour of improvements and progress. When it comes to gimmicky stuff though, history has shown time and time again it's a waste of hardware and expense (much of that being on Sony for not doing anything with their controller additions). Just chucking hardware at something to make isn't a good idea - it needs to be considered hardware. A big, fat light on the front draining battery - how useful was that actually in retrospect? About as useful as everyone complained when it was first shown.

At the moment, the general gaming populace isn't seeing much this idea could add to. It'll be down to Sony to convince people it adds something (or you doing their job for them) and to get devs to go to the effort of implementing it on PS titles alone (what's the economic sense there? Even if the sensors add to PS games, are devs really going to bother?). If you want to discuss it and highlight the real improvements it could bring to games, go for it, but also be open to people discussing the negatives like battery drain instead of whinging and moaning that people don't see the world the same way you do. Pointing out all the bad ideas out there or all the things one thinks dumb is part and parcel of discussion. ;)

Days Gone had gyro aiming.

A big, fat light on the front draining battery - how useful was that actually in retrospect? About as useful as everyone complained when it was first shown.

I'm pretty sure that is critical for PSVR.

Wow the arrogance to think that all great ideas weren't preceded by a bunch of ideas that were crap, oh yes the geniuses here know exactly what's going to be a great idea and would never have one that doesn't pay off.

Lots of people thought the share button was a waste.

I suppose you would rathe have it be a select button which had almost no purpose?

I prefer the additional backside buttons and ability to customize the mappings, like the Elite controllers allow.

Maybe for you but I use it all the time.

I suppose you would rathe have it be a select button which had almost no purpose?

I also used it. If only ps camera also have "record that" command.

Btw select is still there. Most games binds it to the touch pad press

I'm pretty sure that is critical for PSVR.
Which didn't exist when the console was released, and isn't owned by the vast majority of PS4 players. When it was announced, the use cases were things like showing the player colour or health status. This light is poorly positioned for player feedback (changed in version 2), apart from the fact it was so bright the glare was very visible on the TV. The criticism against the light-bar had been proven valid as everything gamres complained about came to pass - poor battery life, glare on screen, no benefits.

Wow the arrogance to think that all great ideas weren't preceded by a bunch of ideas that were crap, oh yes the geniuses here know exactly what's going to be a great idea and would never have one that doesn't pay off.
Mate, just discuss things. We're allowed to think ideas are rubbish only to be proven wrong later. Maybe biosensors will be the greatest thing to come to gaming? Until then, I'm going to argue they're a waste of money and effort. ;)

Lots of people thought the share button was a waste.
Really? Even if sharing wasn't a thing, another button isn't particularly bad. Ideas that weren't great because they saw almost no functionality in games were:

Motion controls - I was a huge advocate of Sixaxis and talked at length about the applications it could have had, but none of that happened.
Touch pad - Some people use it for keyboard input. I think that's about it. It's basically a huge button to open inventory.
Light bar - only of value for camera tracking. Again, largely unused.
Kinect 2
Voice control - been an option for years, but it's not popular by any stretch.
Pressure-sensitive face buttons - barely used, so Sony ended up removing them.
I think there's plenty more on NSW not used much either.

How many controller additions have actually had meaningful value? Second stick. Shoulder buttons. Analogue triggers...all stuff that's logical and makes sense. Under-side paddles will be another valuable addition. Haptic feedback on triggers and sticks, possibly.

So now, instead of getting snuffy about it, actually look back at 30 years of consoles and analyse how controller features are and are not used, and get back to me with a decent argument in favour of bio sensors instead of an angry rant that people aren't excited by a possbility. Be realistic. How viable, really, are biosensors in a single platform? How many games will benefit and to what degree? You can list a load of possibilities like, "imagine a horror game where it can tell how scared you have and you have to control you sweaty palms," just like I excitedly listed a whole loads of games that'd benefit from Sixaxis back when that was announced, but features aren't adopted on possibility but on practicality and economics.

I wasn't stating that all these things are fantastic but without at least the attempt at something new there would be complete stagnation and at a possibly cheap cost knowing someones pulse rate could be quite interesting data to incorporate into some feature.

Once again the light on the front of the controller was so it could be tracked by the camera that was it's main functionality yes PSVR didn't exist yet commercially but Sony knew they would need to track the controllers at some point.

This is what I was responding to not the discussion of said feature but you calling someone else's point of view crap.
ToTTenTranz's position was that everyone was poo-pooing innovation because all they care about is moare pixles, which is baloney and I point to innovations that people have welcomed. ToTz called everyone's opinion crap because it didn't agree with his, rather than being happy to have people express their own perceptions.

Back