HDCP monitors

infinity4

Veteran
hi, currently considering buying a HDCP monitor to use it as primary HD display for PS3. does anyone know of any good HDCP supporting monitors that they would definitely recommend???

The BenQ FP241W with upgraded firmware should be ideal.

It has HDMI, HDCP, VGA, DVI, is 24", 1920x1200 and with the upgraded firmware it will correctly scale non-PC input.

The Samsung SM-226BW and LG L226WT are both 22" 6-bit TN panels with good specs and 1680x1050 max resolution with HDCP support. The Samsung retails for about £250-270.00 and the LG is about £160 - 170.00 +VAT.

The Samsung SM-226BW and LG L226WT are both 22" 6-bit TN panels with good specs and 1680x1050 max resolution with HDCP support. The Samsung retails for about £250-270.00 and the LG is about £160 - 170.00 +VAT.

We just got the older spec 225bw, and it takes 1920x1080p signal and makes it look very good in its 1600x1050 resolution (decent scaler). The only niggle is that it keeps warning you when your PS3 switches to a resolution other than its native resolution, that the currently resolution isn't 'optimal'.

Other than that though it looks great, DHCP works (i.e. I can playback 1080p BluRay discs), and I use a simple DVI-HDMI conversion plug. We bought it for the PC, but I consider it an added bonus that I now have a second PS3 capable screen in the house, so if I need a longer session on the PS3 out of the living room, this is an option. ;)

But I've also come to realise that for many this means a cheap hi-def screen is actually available for a decent price. This 22" screen cost us 299 euros (I remember I bought a 14" .25 pitch Seiko or something 20 years ago for double that, though hey, it still works!), and I'm sure you can get it for less in the US. Good news, all in all!

I have some pictures too:

225bwps3bluray.jpg

And here's full-size (camera isn't great though)

http://www.niwra.nl/ps3/225bwps3bluray_large.jpg

so anyone know how much contrast ratio is important realistically??? :cry:

Well, more is better I guess. ;) I'll say though that on the screen above, the current contrast levels are good enough (though they're maxed out now already, so I wouldn't want a monitor that is much worse than this).

The difference between 5000:1 and 10000:1 contrast ratios is only marketing. It isn't visible. There are other things that are more important. Anything from 1000:1 or more is fine. A little lower can be very acceptable.

Anything below 700:1 isn't that great for high fidelity images IMO. For web browsing etc it's fine.

I can agree on this. My screen is 700:1, which I think is a good baseline.

hi, currently considering buying a HDCP monitor to use it as primary HD display for PS3. does anyone know of any good HDCP supporting monitors that they would definitely recommend???

Gate way has an Awesome HD 24" HDCP monitor for around 600. Go to their website and check it out. Has more connectors than most other HD monitors it size.

Gate way has an Awesome HD 24" HDCP monitor for around 600. Go to their website and check it out. Has more connectors than most other HD monitors it size.

But that's twice what the 22" Sammy above will set you back though. ;)

oh my, i should have stated my budgets. it seems everyone here has high disposable income :cry:

my preferred range is 160-180GBP, i may consider up to 200 if it justifies its value. i guess i need to see how price changes, but thanks anyway for posts that widened my knowledge :smile:

how can you consider 6bit good specs ?

you wouldnt play a game at 16bit yet you'll run a monitor at 18bit

Unless I'm missing something, SM-226BW is 8bit (24bit color in the specs), as is its predecessor (225BW).

225BW cant get 1080P

We just got the older spec 225bw, and it takes 1920x1080p signal and makes it look very good in its 1600x1050 resolution (decent scaler). The only niggle is that it keeps warning you when your PS3 switches to a resolution other than its native resolution, that the currently resolution isn't 'optimal'.

Other than that though it looks great, DHCP works (i.e. I can playback 1080p BluRay discs), and I use a simple DVI-HDMI conversion plug. We bought it for the PC, but I consider it an added bonus that I now have a second PS3 capable screen in the house, so if I need a longer session on the PS3 out of the living room, this is an option. ;)

But I've also come to realise that for many this means a cheap hi-def screen is actually available for a decent price. This 22" screen cost us 299 euros (I remember I bought a 14" .25 pitch Seiko or something 20 years ago for double that, though hey, it still works!), and I'm sure you can get it for less in the US. Good news, all in all!

Hello Arwin,

I just got my PS3 today and connected it to my 225BW and the max resolution I could get was 720P 8-(. If I tried either 1080I or 1080P i am getting a blank screen (like if the LCD couldnt get the signal).

I am currently using the ASID Tech cable which is a HDMI to DVI
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10082074&catid=24673

The only difference between 1080I and 1080P setting is that if I choose 1080I I am getting the small pop up window from the LCD complaining about non optimal resolution (which I couldnt make go away). Also it seems when I am in those mode I cant access the LCD menu anylonger (I can switch source but that about it).

Did you have to do something particular to get it working in 1080P?

Thanks for your collaboration in advance.

Back