HD Radeons are now decoding .mkv's too in hardware

Yes, I agree with you. It is awesome they have added support for matroska.

You said earlier that you shouldn't need Haali's matroska splitter to play matroska files in WMP because ffdshow can decode MPEG-4 AVC, but this is weird since ffdshow doesn't contain ANY splitters or parsers. ffdshow connects to the appropriate pin (audio or video) where it gets the appropriate stream. It cannot read the file, thus you need a splitter filter that reads the file and outputs each stream to the appropriate pin. Run graphedit and drop a file in there and you'll see how a directshow graph is made.

Windows comes with splitters for AVI and MPEG-1 (MPEG-1 decoders too), but not splitters for Matroska, MP4, MOV, VOB, MPEG-PS, MPEG-TS etc.

I hope that was understandable.

Yes, I agree with you. It is awesome they have added support for matroska.

You said earlier that you shouldn't need Haali's matroska splitter to play matroska files in WMP because ffdshow can decode MPEG-4 AVC, but this is weird since ffdshow doesn't contain ANY splitters or parsers. ffdshow connects to the appropriate pin (audio or video) where it gets the appropriate stream. It cannot read the file, thus you need a splitter filter that reads the file and outputs each stream to the appropriate pin. Run graphedit and drop a file in there and you'll see how a directshow graph is made.

Windows comes with splitters for AVI and MPEG-1 (MPEG-1 decoders too), but not splitters for Matroska, MP4, MOV, VOB, MPEG-PS, MPEG-TS etc.

I hope that was understandable.

Well, one thing at least came clear - you should really re-read what I've written
I said if it was about just supporting codec x I shouldn't need Haali Media Splitter with WMP, but it's not only about codecs, but also about container support.
Go and re-read that comment of mine + the quote in it ;)

Oh btw, Vista Home Premium & Ultimate (at least) include support (splitter and codec) for MPEG2 too (including MPEG-TS etc AFAIK)

Back