HD-DVD Launch Set Back

mckmas8808 said:
What risk are you talking about?

Umm having a higher price, launching a year behind your competitor, playing catch up from behind rather than being market leader, and losing their grip on the majority of 3rd party support...

Take your pick.

scooby_dooby said:
Umm having a higher price, launching a year behind your competitor, playing catch up from behind rather than being market leader, and losing their grip on the majority of 3rd party support...

Take your pick.

1. Ummm. I didn't think Sony announced a price yet.

2. Sony always has to play catch up. They are never the first generation console out the gate.

3. And Sony's first and second party teams seem to be getting better and better every damn year. To me I would put them on the same level as Nintendo.

mckmas8808 said:
1. Ummm. I didn't think Sony announced a price yet.

2. Sony always has to play catch up. They are never the first generation console out the gate.

3. And Sony's first and second party teams seem to be getting better and better every damn year. To me I would put them on the same level as Nintendo.

1. Are we not talking about the risks associated with a HD drive? That means a higher pricepoint period, which is a risk.

2. It's still a risk, and they've never once faced a competitor with a game library as strong as the x360 will have.

3. So? Sony's biggest advantage last time was it had 4times as many games for the console, 99% of these are from 3rd party developers. By delaying launch and allowing your competitor to gain a 10million unit install base they run a very real risk of losing alot of that 3rd party exclusive support.

scooby_dooby said:
1. Are we not talking about the risks associated with a HD drive? That means a higher pricepoint period, which is a risk.

2. It's still a risk, and they've never once faced a competitor with a game library as strong as the x360 will have.

3. So? Sony's biggest advantage last time was it had 4times as many games for the console, 99% of these are from 3rd party developers. By delaying launch and allowing your competitor to gain a 10million unit install base they run a very real risk of losing alot of that 3rd party exclusive support.

I agree with everything you just said, but those to me aren't the big risk. To me the big risk for Sony is hoping that Blu-ray catches on at all. Besides that (and maybe price of the console we'll see 11/11/06) doesn't every console released have some sort of risk?

Mythos said:
Try again.....

Toshiba Delays HD-DVD hardware release.
Toshiba delayed the hardware to avoid releasing it with no software, so the hardware was indeed ready.

Of course, the original poster whom you responded to had it wrong as well. Blu-ray movies will launch with Blu-ray players--just not the PS3.

mckmas8808 said:
I agree with everything you just said, but those to me aren't the big risk. To me the big risk for Sony is hoping that Blu-ray catches on at all. Besides that (and maybe price of the console we'll see 11/11/06) doesn't every console released have some sort of risk?

Of course every console has its own set of risks.

The point is, going with a bleeding edge format carries specific risks. Why anyone would have to ask what they are is beyond me....the risks are obvious as scooby laid them out.

Whether or not the potential rewards are realized for taking the risks remain to be seen.

Joe DeFuria said:
Of course every console has its own set of risks.

The point is, going with a bleeding edge format carries specific risks. Why anyone would have to ask what they are is beyond me....the risks are obvious as scooby laid them out.

Whether or not the potential rewards are realized for taking the risks remain to be seen.

My whole point from the beginning was where is this new revelation that Sony is now paying for the risk of having a blu-ray drive in the PS3? The risk of the blu-ray drive really hasn't shown itself so far as of yet. Unless you believe Ken when he said the delay was due to the delay of AACS and some other crap.

mckmas8808 said:
My whole point from the beginning was where is this new revelation that Sony is now paying for the risk of having a blu-ray drive in the PS3? The risk of the blu-ray drive really hasn't shown itself so far as of yet. Unless you believe Ken when he said the delay was due to the delay of AACS and some other crap.

For one it's NOT a new revelation to anyone that has been thinking about it before now. there's always a risk in using new technology. In this case, the risk is giving too much room to your competitor.

If you want to ignore the obvious risks, I doubt anyone will spend much time trying to convince you.

Qroach said:
For one it's NOT a new revelation to anyone that has been thinking about it before now. there's always a risk in using new technology. In this case, the risk is giving too much room to your competitor.

If you want to ignore the obvious risks, I doubt anyone will spend much time trying to convince you.

Okay like you said it's obvious what the risk is. A higher price is inevitable. But what if they launch the system for $400? And even still the bigger risk to for Sony should be hoping that Blu-ray catching on at all. If it does then that clears/answers the risk of a higher console price.

mckmas8808 said:

lol, BR being adopted is the reward FOR the risk!

Back