Haswell vs Kaveri

Haswells new main competitor is Richland. We will see lots of comparisons next month.

The news were about Richland. This thread is about Haswell and Kaveri.
Richland isn't Haswell or Kaveri. Richland is but a slightly (is at all) modified Trinity. There's a thread about Trinity, so the news about a chip that does NOT resemble Haswell or Kaveri should be in Trinity‘s thread IMO.

Unfortunately Richland is what gets launched against Haswell, and only exists because of Kaveri's delays. So it deserves at least a mention, and probably a new thread.

Unfortunately Richland is what gets launched against Haswell, and only exists because of Kaveri's delays. So it deserves at least a mention, and probably a new thread.

Richland is such a minor release i don't even think that it deserves it's own thread, instead just change this thread to include richland(for the reasons you listed).

The news were about Richland. This thread is about Haswell and Kaveri.
Richland isn't Haswell or Kaveri. Richland is but a slightly (is at all) modified Trinity. There's a thread about Trinity, so the news about a chip that does NOT resemble Haswell or Kaveri should be in Trinity‘s thread IMO.

Blazkowicz understood the point:

Since Kaveri is a 2014 product, 4GB of system+video memory doesn't look appealing anymore next year for a next-gen APU. Maybe for real low-end Notebooks in the 300€ range. It is unlikely that Kaveri with GDDR5 is targeted for low-end only. They have Kabini.

Different sites say it will be released later this year, H2 2013. Can't wait to see what it will look like

Dunno if H2 2013 means "availability to select reviewers on 29th december and listed in a few online stores" or if it's more of a hard launch.

Will it be released along Hainan/Curaçao GPUs and do these support HSA?

I've just asked myself whether Kaveri uses a new socket. According to this piece of news from january it does (FM3) yet is backwards compatible to FM2, as with AM3 and AM2 sockets.
http://lensfire.in/25341/news/amd-kaveri-apu-will-use-fm3-socket-but-supports-fm2/
It sounds like it's just rumours and I don't remember reading about it. So FM3 would be a DDR4 socket and would bring PCIe 3.0, probably with coherency extension.

With Kaveri on FM2 you might have HSA between the on-die GPU and CPU, and with FM3 you would have have HSA between CPU and external GPU as well. Kaveri launching before FM3 could be possible, I think the Phenom II first launched on AM2+.

Dunno if H2 2013 means "availability to select reviewers on 29th december and listed in a few online stores" or if it's more of a hard launch.

The reason AMD decided to make Richland is that they weren't confident Kaveri would make it for the important back to school season. Since this is more or less late August, I think we can reasonably expect Kaveri to show up some time after that, but not 4 months later. At least I hope so. I would bet on October/November.

Haswells new main competitor is Richland. We will see lots of comparisons next month.

Even if Kaveri is early 2014, Haswell will be competing vs Kaveri for a lot longer than it will be vs Richland.

image.php

Will it be released along Hainan/Curaçao GPUs and do these support HSA?

I've just asked myself whether Kaveri uses a new socket. According to this piece of news from january it does (FM3) yet is backwards compatible to FM2, as with AM3 and AM2 sockets.
http://lensfire.in/25341/news/amd-kaveri-apu-will-use-fm3-socket-but-supports-fm2/
It sounds like it's just rumours and I don't remember reading about it. So FM3 would be a DDR4 socket and would bring PCIe 3.0, probably with coherency extension.

With Kaveri on FM2 you might have HSA between the on-die GPU and CPU, and with FM3 you would have have HSA between CPU and external GPU as well. Kaveri launching before FM3 could be possible, I think the Phenom II first launched on AM2+.

There are whispers about FM3 bringing quad-channel memory interface to enable future APU's growth. Makes sense when you look at next gen consoles as both will come with 256-bit memory buses and besides, buying 4xDDR3/4 should be considerably cheaper than adopting hight speed GDDR5 for desktop (laptops and embedded are different story).

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes you believe mobile will be much different?

Mobile Richland will be shipped later - in 2014. Richland started shipment in late 2013 and have a look how many notebooks are available. Nothing. Mid-2014 is a very optimistic target for mobile Kaveri. And furthermore there won't be any LGA Broadwells, this is BGA only. If there is a Broadwell for desktop, then these are BGA parts just as Haswell BGA for desktop.

Mobile Richland will be shipped later - in 2014. Richland started shipment in late 2013 and have a look how many notebooks are available. Nothing.

You mean early 2013 for Richland yes?

Right so you're basing Kaveri's mobile availability on Richland as opposed to Llano and Trinity which were mobile first by a long shot. That makes no sense at all. Richland is simply a speed bump of Trinity and it will still be available in mobile before desktop.

Mid-2014 is a very optimistic target for mobile Kaveri.
You think? Why would AMD release desktop first?

You mean early 2013 for Richland yes?

Right so you're basing Kaveri's mobile availability on Richland as opposed to Llano and Trinity which were mobile first by a long shot. That makes no sense at all. Richland is simply a speed bump of Trinity and it will still be available in mobile before desktop.

With Llano it was the same. You can't expect notebooks a couple of weeks after shipment started. This process takes a couple of months until we finally see notebooks in stores. That works for CPU only products in the desktop segment but not for mobile where validating is time-consuming and lots of other hardware parts play a large role. AMD launched mobile Richland in March, paper launch you know.

You think? Why would AMD release desktop first?

AMD expects to start shipping Kaveri in a late Q4 timeframe this year. These parts will be desktop at first and will transition to mobile in 2014. AMD wants (and needs) to get these parts out in a timely manner, and they are pulling in the launch as much as possible. Hence the desktop first release while they refine production to be able to adequately address the mobile space. Achieving good bins and yields at the higher TDP is easier than trying to hit those numbers for a 35 watt and below product line.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Shows-and-Expos/AMD-CES-2013-Temash-Kabini-and-Kaveri-side-Sea-Islands

I don't see it happening, but if mobile Kaveri is set for 2014, why not make it 20nm? Desktop can wait for 14/16nm hybrid which should be viable in 2015, but mobile could use the shrink now.

Back