Haswell vs Kaveri

I meant no more than what you said :)
It is a bit over my head but it is about what D. Kanter discusses here:
http://www.realworldtech.com/haswell-cpu/4/
So more executions ports but also more 'resources', and how that going to affect existing multi-threaded code. As to me it looks like the 2 thread will have more room to play / the core will have more room to dispatch instruction of the two cores.
So you kind of answered me wrt to the SIMD, as they added only another Multiply alu (FMA doesn't exist before AVX).
Though I still wonder about the overall "results" on multi threaded code and if could get greater than the 10% increase in single thread performance, I think it should though I do not the extend.

EDIT
D. Kanter says, and he knows what he is speaking about, that existing applications should see a boost of ~10%. But looking at the scope of applications he might be looking at I wonder what would be the impact on for example games /multimedia apps. I would think that when it says 10% that includes plenty of workloads that may not or barely touch the SIMD.

10% includes all of the above mentioned improvements. Unless your application uses a specialized bit of ISA and that bit was jacked up, there isn't going to be a lot of improvement.

From The Tech Report: "Trusted source confirms soldered-on Broadwell CPUs."

Main points:
  • Some Broadwell chips will be soldered and some may only be available soldered
  • Intel has a roadmap for socketed chips "until at least 2016"
  • Larger board manufacturers have an advantage over smaller manufacturers since they are better equipped to pick high-performing chips and replace broken chips

I don't see the big deal about the soldered chips. Let the low end go soldered while keeping the enthusiast and high end socketed. That way intel can reduce tdp for oems while enthusists can keep their chips.

As it is now you only get one maybe two cpus out of an intel motherboard.

Where would be the profit in that?

I would like an Intel graphics card, it would be low power and well supported. They have the best open source graphics drivers for linux/unix (best does not mean good in that context, it just means less sacrifice).

But they don't care. They even rather have you update the whole platform, or switch to an Intel based platform from an AMD one. If they did release, it might be overpriced so killing the interest people may have in it or decently priced so gives less incentive into buying a has/broad well.
But that's ignoring the fact the GPU is too tied down into the CPU so they would have to make a special variant for a card, and it might be slower as well.

You need an account to see free articles? Oh well.

Register and save $50. Not too bad, eh? It's cheaper than an offer I've seen on a laptop, "Spend $1000 and you save $300". (No, it doesn't mean you spend $700, it means you spend $1000 and your reward is looking at a crossed out "$1300" number written in a different color)

I have a honest deal to propose you. Save $2000 by not sending it to my paypal account. You're free to not accept my deal.

Register and save $50. Not too bad, eh? It's cheaper than an offer I've seen on a laptop, "Spend $1000 and you save $300". (No, it doesn't mean you spend $700, it means you spend $1000 and your reward is looking at a crossed out "$1300" number written in a different color)
Except you're giving out personal information, which I may not want to do.

There are throw-away mail boxes which (supposedly) self-destruct after a short time.
It would be funny if you could have throw-away virtual machines (some stupid text mode linux with 32MB ram in a datacenter somewhere) with a random IPv6 address.
- Log in to one (after jumping through multiple ssh hoops so you can't be traced back easily) and using a text mode browser try to register and access the website.
- Copy paste the text from your terminal window into a text editor.
- ???
- Profit
or feel free to use a throw-away credit card number

Back