Haswell E

This may be the next q6600. That chip was a work horse , the first reasonably priced quad core at a time when many people claim that it wasn't worth the performance decrease in games over the faster dual cores. However in the long run the q6600 became a better value. I know people who ran that chip for years

Using handbrake a lot, I think the 5820K will find a place in my machine by the end of the year... I'm weak :(

I feel like I should drop in here and add my $0.02...

I bought a 3930k when the C2 stepping first came out. I went batshit crazy with it: 32GB of ram (all eight channels at 1666mhz / 7-8-9-1T timings), a PCI-E RAID card that drives six 240GB SSD drives in RAID0, and the CPU itself runs at 4.5GHZ along with a 7970 OC edition card that can run reliably at 1150/1550 speeds. This thing is stupidly fast at basically anything you throw at it. I spent probably $$3000 on it including the Dell U2711 monitor, the 1KW platinum efficiency modular PSU and the cooling setup.

I bought this rig to be a multitasker. I certainly wanted to play games, but I also do a moderate amount of video transcoding -- ripping my DVD's and Blurays to H.264, or converting video or raw photos taken from my various family digital recording devices. I also wanted to do some VM work and wanted plenty of breathing room to do it all at the same time.

Well, to be honest, it didn't turn out that way. I ended up building a completely separate rig for my virtualization host -- actually, an i7-3770 with 32GB of ram and a bunch of commodity drives in varying RAID configs. All it does is VM's, and it has more storage than my "big rig". Handbrake still happens on my rig, but it also ends up happening on my i5-540m laptop when my wife is doing it (which is most of the time.) Sure, it takes longer on four threads rather than twelve, but she knows how to use the laptop and doesn't really care.

So, it ended up just being a gaming rig, which is utter overkill in every sense.

If I were going to do it all over again, I'd just rather buy the top-end "K" processor from the general consumer line, deal with a bit longer encode times in Handbrake, and pick up even better gaming performance. I considered swapping my i7-3770 for gaming duty and putting all the VM's in the 3930k rig, but the power draw (even at idle) is an order of magnitude higher on the x79 platform. And really, I just don't need the extra compute anyway.

I dunno , now that the consoles have 8 cores we should see more games at first take advantage of it. I think when star citizen goes 64bit over 32bit and increases the size of the zones I think we will see cpu usage go up.

Anyway i'm sure once skydale comes down the pipe we will see 4 /6 / 8 cores be the norm and the phasing out of dual core at the desktop level

I dunno , now that the consoles have 8 cores we should see more games at first take advantage of it. I think when star citizen goes 64bit over 32bit and increases the size of the zones I think we will see cpu usage go up.

Sure, but you're talking eight very low performance (in a relative sense) cores on a console, versus four very high performance cores PLUS SMT capability on those cores from a modern PC. I agree that threading is going to get better; I don't agree that it's going to get 12++ cores better.

Anyway i'm sure once skydale comes down the pipe we will see 4 /6 / 8 cores be the norm and the phasing out of dual core at the desktop level

Nah, dual core four thread CPUs will be around for a very long time. At least from Intel. Because the honest truth is, even a modern i3 is overkill for 95% of users.

When a customer asks me how best to configure their machines, I say get the cheapest desktop Intel CPU with 4-8GB RAM and an SSD. Even the slowest Celerons are more than fast enough for office use and Internet duties.

I feel like I should drop in here and add my $0.02...

I bought a 3930k when the C2 stepping first came out. I went batshit crazy with it: 32GB of ram (all eight channels at 1666mhz / 7-8-9-1T timings), a PCI-E RAID card that drives six 240GB SSD drives in RAID0, and the CPU itself runs at 4.5GHZ along with a 7970 OC edition card that can run reliably at 1150/1550 speeds. This thing is stupidly fast at basically anything you throw at it. I spent probably $$3000 on it including the Dell U2711 monitor, the 1KW platinum efficiency modular PSU and the cooling setup.

I bought this rig to be a multitasker. I certainly wanted to play games, but I also do a moderate amount of video transcoding -- ripping my DVD's and Blurays to H.264, or converting video or raw photos taken from my various family digital recording devices. I also wanted to do some VM work and wanted plenty of breathing room to do it all at the same time.

Well, to be honest, it didn't turn out that way. I ended up building a completely separate rig for my virtualization host -- actually, an i7-3770 with 32GB of ram and a bunch of commodity drives in varying RAID configs. All it does is VM's, and it has more storage than my "big rig". Handbrake still happens on my rig, but it also ends up happening on my i5-540m laptop when my wife is doing it (which is most of the time.) Sure, it takes longer on four threads rather than twelve, but she knows how to use the laptop and doesn't really care.

So, it ended up just being a gaming rig, which is utter overkill in every sense.

If I were going to do it all over again, I'd just rather buy the top-end "K" processor from the general consumer line, deal with a bit longer encode times in Handbrake, and pick up even better gaming performance. I considered swapping my i7-3770 for gaming duty and putting all the VM's in the 3930k rig, but the power draw (even at idle) is an order of magnitude higher on the x79 platform. And really, I just don't need the extra compute anyway.

True. >99.99% of people don't need it.

But for those who do, why no edram? May be, they'll fix it for broadwell.

Sure, but you're talking eight very low performance (in a relative sense) cores on a console, versus four very high performance cores PLUS SMT capability on those cores from a modern PC. I agree that threading is going to get better; I don't agree that it's going to get 12++ cores better.

I haven't looked in awhile , perhaps its changed but more physical cores are allways faster than hyper threading.

I certainly see a need for more than 4 cores. I also think once we get the power we will see more and more cores used. There are games out there that wont rely on the console advancements.

Nah, dual core four thread CPUs will be around for a very long time. At least from Intel. Because the honest truth is, even a modern i3 is overkill for 95% of users.

When a customer asks me how best to configure their machines, I say get the cheapest desktop Intel CPU with 4-8GB RAM and an SSD. Even the slowest Celerons are more than fast enough for office use and Internet duties.

The hexacore is at $300 . This is a 22nm chip. When Skydale hits at 13nm next year I expect the entry level 6 core to be less than $300. So where does the quad core go in the price range ? Then where do the dual cores go ?

At some point dual cores would slot in at less than it would cost to make them.

I bought a 3930k when the C2 stepping first came out. I went batshit crazy with it: 32GB of ram (all eight channels at 1666mhz / 7-8-9-1T timings), a PCI-E RAID card that drives six 240GB SSD drives in RAID0, .

Has your RAID config and all six SSDs worked flawlessly all this time? I had one SSD die on me a little while ago, but that was quite an old drive.

The tricky thing is they are pushing BayTrail as a Celeron now and those aren't exactly super fast. I mean it rocks in a tablet but I wouldn't want a full PC with that performance. Not when Haswell costs $20 more or something like that.

Why do people transcode blu-rays in this age. Why just not remux them if you want a more practical container?

Has your RAID config and all six SSDs worked flawlessly all this time? I had one SSD die on me a little while ago, but that was quite an old drive.

No problems so far *finding wood to knock on*...

Still performs like a rock star too :)

Why do people transcode blu-rays in this age.
Storage space, perhaps. If you can fit more movies on your easily portable flash stick, then why not? Mayhaps, I dunno. :) H.265 alledgedly being able to cut off 50% of the weight of a BR movie with the same quality preserved also is pretty major...

The tricky thing is they are pushing BayTrail as a Celeron now and those aren't exactly super fast. I mean it rocks in a tablet but I wouldn't want a full PC with that performance. Not when Haswell costs $20 more or something like that.

I don't typically recommend Bay Trail for desktops. The cheapest Real Core CPU is what I meant.

Nowadays the vast majority of "desktops" we sell are NUCs. Mostly i3 based but the Bay Trail ones are fine for light office work, and really cheap. We've been selling more of those lately. As long as they have an SSD (they all do) they're not bad at all. Much faster than what people are used to (people coming from HDDs). But still if they can afford it I recommend i3.

I am aiming for the 5820k, for me it's the new 920, my current very old cpu that never let me down.

4 ghz should be possible with air cooling.

Real time transcoding can be used for that. It could possibly be where QuickSync makes most sense. I had movies files, mostly xvid and stuff on a NAS ; some GUI server software (automated, nothing special to do) running on the Athlon II X2 desktop to transcode and be a DLNA for compatiblity reasons, serving a Playstation 3 for playback. It was funny to use three computers to do a job that one computer would be able to deal with :p, but it worked well and I think the most CPU load I saw on the desktop was 80% (HD movie software-decoded and re-encoded at 480p)

5820k with a NH15 stays below 60 degrees when all 6 cores are running at 4ghz. Noone could tell me how it would do, so i had to find out myself :)

5820k with a NH15 stays below 60 degrees when all 6 cores are running at 4ghz. Noone could tell me how it would do, so i had to find out myself :)

I just installed the NH-D15 on my 5960X and hoping to achieve the same clock rate. :smile:

With any luck, this may be the Q6600's (greatest cpu of all time) last post!

Back