Harddisk defragger

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
Who knows a good freeware harddisk defragger for XP? I could really use one.

I found a great free combo: BuzzSaw and DirMS. DirMS defragmented my whole drive in a few minutes, while BuzzSaw will keep a watch on it and do that in the background. Although the registration is non-intuitive.

BlueTsunami said:
Whats wrong with the built in defrager :(

You have to run it about 25 times, after which it has done about a fraction of what you want: defragment ALL files, and make the free space continuous. And it does nothing with the most important stuff, like the swap file and registry.

DiGuru said:
You have to run it about 25 times, after which it has done about a fraction of what you want: defragment ALL files, and make the free space continuous. And it does nothing with the most important stuff, like the swap file and registry.

Hmmmm...I HAVE had issues with XP defragmenter not moving certain blocks of files. I guess i'll investigate an alternative.

My opinion...avoid getting too obsessive about what gets defragmented and what does not. As long as you get most of it (99%?), the 1% that refuses to defrag isn't going to affect your world, at all. A lot of times these are just active cache files the system uses. So even if you did defrag them, they would be refragged the very next moment you did something on your computer, anyway.

Now if you really must have your way, you could always try booting from a 2nd partition or 2nd HD, and then defrag your original HD. That often does the trick for that last stubborn 1%, once the system that would be using those files is not active during the defrag process. Mind you, this will likely just get refragged when you boot-up in normal configuration, but at least you got a complete defrag once, right? ;) After that, you have to just let it go that the system is going to want it's own way on a few things. It will still run just as well, either way. So just let it have it's way. You can still find gratification in keeping everything else routinely defragged as you like, thereon.

You should also be aware that there is some consensus (but not overwhelming consensus) that the modern HD is making its own data location optimizations in the physical domain, anyway. This is in contrast to a defragger app performing data location optimizations in the logical domain (which may end up being completely arbitrary in the physical domain). So some say that defragging is indicative of absolutely nothing. Take it for what you will, or not at all. Just don't freak out over the impact of that "last 1%", given that the whole physical vs. logical domain issue likely will be a far more influencing factor, ultimately. :D

Now here's something that I would be interested to hear some HD experts weigh in- if you have a 3 partition drive (also assuming single platter), with 1 smaller partition on each "end" and the big one in the middle, is it more advantageous (speed and access-wise) to install your OS at the small partition in the beginning or the small partition at the end of the HD? ...or does it matter, at all? ...or maybe the one in the middle ends up better than either end? :O

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK placing the OS on the outer part of your drive will make it faster to boot but that's about it.
Once you've booted into your OS, the majority of it is in memory.

Now here's something that I would be interested to hear some HD experts weigh in- if you have a 3 partition drive (also assuming single platter), with 1 smaller partition on each "end" and the big one in the middle, is it more advantageous (speed and access-wise) to install your OS at the small partition in the beginning or the small partition at the end of the HD? ...or does it matter, at all? ...or maybe the one in the middle ends up better than either end? :O

Yeah, but which part of the partition window on the screen corresponds to the "outer edge"? I could guess, but w/o any real indicators, it could just as well be completely the opposite of what you would expect.

randycat99 said:
My opinion...avoid getting too obsessive about what gets defragmented and what does not. As long as you get most of it (99%?), the 1% that refuses to defrag isn't going to affect your world, at all. A lot of times these are just active cache files the system uses. So even if you did defrag them, they would be refragged the very next moment you did something on your computer, anyway.

Yes, but I had this file (newgrp.grp, the data file for Boiling Point), which had more than 3000 fragments. And after running the build-in defragmenter about 10 times (which should run in the background and do that automatically, AFAIK), it still consisted of over 3000 fragments.

Oh, and the swapfile consisted of hundreds of fragments as well.

A few words about defragmenters: Diskeeper Diskeeper Diskeeper Diskeeper Diskeeper.

Worth each and every penny. $20 that's fairly cheap, if you ask me.

DiGuru said:
Yes, but I had this file (newgrp.grp, the data file for Boiling Point), which had more than 3000 fragments. And after running the build-in defragmenter about 10 times (which should run in the background and do that automatically, AFAIK), it still consisted of over 3000 fragments.

Something like that definitely seems to fall into the category of "oddball" files which seem to exist to soley to defy the user. ;) Have you tried to manually copy the file into another directory, then back into the original to replace it? Trust me- I'm not trying to be facetious, as I am just as curious to test my meddle with little things like this as I imagine you are. :)

Set your swapfile to something tiny (like 64 MB), restart, defrag, and then set the swap file back to normal setting, and restart again. Does that do the trick?

DiGuru said:
Tip for the performance freak:

Set cache file to a separate harddrive from your OS (and games), make it fixed size, and make sure it is the first file on the drive. That puts it at the outer edge of the disks, where data density is the greatest (fewer seeks) and data rates are the fastest.

randycat99 said:
Something like that definitely seems to fall into the category of "oddball" files which seem to exist to soley to defy the user. ;) Have you tried to manually copy the file into another directory, then back into the original to replace it? Trust me- I'm not trying to be facetious, as I am just as curious to test my meddle with little things like this as I imagine you are. :)
Yes, that was the first thing I tried. It helped, but not by much. I suspected that Windows thought it was a system file of some kind. But it is definitely the fault of the build-in defragger. It is a big file (2.6 GB), so if the defragger doesn't try to make free space continious, it just doesn't fit. And it didn't even try to defrag it.

Set your swapfile to something tiny (like 64 MB), restart, defrag, and then set the swap file back to normal setting, and restart again. Does that do the trick?
Yes, that's what I normally do (I just turn it off), but as it is 2 GB, it has the same problem as the file above.

Guden Oden said:
Tip for the performance freak:

Set cache file to a separate harddrive from your OS (and games), make it fixed size, and make sure it is the first file on the drive. That puts it at the outer edge of the disks, where data density is the greatest (fewer seeks) and data rates are the fastest.
Yes, that's what I normally do as well. But this was on my laptop. Then again, any serious defrag software should do that as well as put all the free space and directories together.

All the old ones (DOS) did that, but it changed the moment Microsoft declared that NTFS doesn't need to be defragged, ever.

Back