Half-life 2 uses per-pixel lighting on everything?

According to this Q&A with developer, half-life 2 will use a combination of static and dynamic lightsources.
We use a combination of dynamic and static lighting. Objects that move cast dynamic shadows whereas static objects cast, well, static shadows that are cheaper. On DX9 you get soft dynamic shadows as well. We also have a full radiosity solution for static bumped lighting (bump maps work with static lights). If you were to put a static light next to a bump-mapped object, the light direction would be correct (traditionally light maps and bump maps have been mutually exclusive).

Now, does anyone know if Half-life 2 lights every pixel procedurally or will some pixels use precomputed light values? I know that the water, special materials, shadows, etc. will require advanced per-pixel techniques, but will every object, model, etc. be lit with such accuracy?

World object shadows are done staticly and models ect are done dynamicly. I believe. Specular light and everything is done per pixel if you use shaders I belive.

Anyone else well aware of the lighting scheme?

Given the Valve presentations/benchmarks does it seem to all of you that every surface is procedurally lit with per-pixel accuracy? I ask this because observing the main character's hands and weapons (maybe even the body other creatures which do not feature elaborate texture schemes) leads me to believe the base texture layers are lit by lightmaps while the material layers actually reflect (no pun intended) a procedural per-pixel shading scheme. As a result, some surfaces, which do not require shading, look like a rather flat, colored texuture.

I might be totally off but it's just a thought.

Here are some pics of what I mean:
per-pixel lighting-
SNAG-0007.jpg

Look at the roof and its tiles and then look at (what seems to be ) the plastic bin. Is there a discrepency in the lighting of the two? Plastic is fairly reflective, thus portions of the bin should reflect and be lit with varying intensity, like the building tiles.

hi Luminescent.

as a user of said bins for propping up my very first stereo system, i can attest to the fact that they are not highly reflective. at least not nearly as reflective as you would expect a metal shingled roof to be.

iirc, they were made out of some kind of pre-colored, extruded plastic. the reflectance properties were more akin to a flat, matte finish than a specular one.

iirc that is. it's been about 20 years since i've had one of those in my possession. :)

great SS btw, don't you think?

I am impressed with the engine's shadowing, material, and HDR lighting effects, however small details such as the ones pointed out, have caught my attention (regarding the HL2 engine).

World shadows are statics just remeber that. Doom 3 world shadows are real time.

Other then that all the lighting and shadows are in real time for both.

bloodbob said:
World shadows are statics just remeber that. Doom 3 world shadows are real time.

Other then that all the lighting and shadows are in real time for both.

Does Doom 3 have time of day lighting/shadow effects?

Back