Hairworks, apprehensions about closed source libraries proven beyond reasonable doubt?

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by MfA, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lanek

Veteran

I have absolutely no idea where to start when i read this .

WHat ?

#101 lanek, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

I'm pretty sure the Direct X API calls are identical between AMD and Nvidia. As long as GameWorks uses those, you can easily check whether or not it issues the same work for one and the other.

3. pharma

Veteran Regular

It seems AMD has had issues with tessellation way back in 2010. Is there any particular reason why they haven't tried to incorporate a fix? I guess it may come down to how much you're willing to re-investing profits back into development.

https://scalibq.wordpress.com/2010/...-need-to-lie-about-tessellation/#comment-7053

#103 pharma, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  4. DavidGraham

Veteran

Nope.

Mantle inflated memory requirement in several games (like Battlefield 4 and Dragon Age). Cards with 2 GB of RAM had issues running the Mantle path, while having none of that in DX11. The problem still exists to this day.

Tonga had reduced Mantle performance compared to older GCN designs. Keep in mind that Tonga was just a mild re-design of GCN. so compatibility is not a strong point for Mantle at all.

Mantle performance on AMD cards was comparable to DX11 performance on NV cards. While AMD cards had abysmal DX11 performance in Mantle games (even some pure DX11 games). The issue still exists to this day, it even shows it's head in synthetic benchmarks.

Mantle failed to increase CPU load, or put CPU cycles into better use. In GPU limited scenarios, it's benefits were essentially non existent.

Mantle offered no image quality enhancement whatsoever.

All of these points were covered in extensive details in the Mantle thread. So please tell me where exactly did I go wrong?

5. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Okay enough FUD now, if a mod is willing to clean up the mess if might open again, otherwise it's an exemple of ignorance and/or fanboyism.

Florin likes this.
  6. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

The only way to be sure is to nuke the thread from orbit!

AlBran likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.