Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

It seems to be an issue with the new wireless guitar. It's not just restricted to the blue button, which just happens to be my own guitar's issue. What happens is that the game won't recognize that I pushed it or sometimes it will stick. 99% of the time it works just fine, and it was only during two or three song play-throughs that I noticed the problem. I thought maybe it was because the connection between the two pieces was a bit faulty, but the other buttons work just fine (even the orange one). It's kind of twitchy that way.

Hopefully, it can be fixed or go away.

I was looking in the forums and it seems that at least some of the problems may be caused by the detacheable neck ... if there's too much play, the contacts wear or become flakey really quickly ...

I had exactly the same problem in red and yellow buttons. I also initially thought it was the detachable neck. However, the battery was also low at these times. I changed it two days ago and the registering problem was gone. Now, I think more, I remember the problem got worse in time. So, there might be a good chance that the problem might be the battery, not the neck.

LTTP commenting on this game though I had it at launch.

I enjoyed it and I think Neversoft did a credible job re-creating the experience of the prior games. Started on Hard difficulty and pretty much sailed though (just completing songs not trying to get perfect scores). I didn't fail a song until the Slipknot song which took 4-5 tries and a visit to the practice mode. I then continued through until I had just, "Raining Blood" and "One" left....which is where I stand today. I decided to go through the game on Medium just to be able to complete one tier and found that too easy to really be fun from a challenge standpoint and the note tracking too simple to give the feel of actually playing the song that you get on the higher difficulties.

Boss battles were "Meh." Didn't love them, didn't hate them. They were just there.

One thing that stood out that was a noticeable difference between the previous games and this one is how the note tracking will frequently have you jumping around between different guitar parts. I first noticed this playing the demo and "Evenflow". I find it quite jarring. It destroys the phrasing, and especially in the songs i am familiar with it just feels "wrong".

People have commented that Rock Band's guitar parts are easier and this is mostly true, though there are exceptions ("Gimme Shelter" for example). I counter this by saying that the RB tracks are also more musical. I think this indicates a difference in philosophy between the games where GH3 is primarily focused on trying to create challenges for the player while RB is more focused on creating as authentic a musical experience as possible given your instruments are basically Fisher Price toys. I don't think either approach is inherently better or worse than the other, they're just different. And I find I prefer the RB approach.

I had exactly the same problem in red and yellow buttons. I also initially thought it was the detachable neck. However, the battery was also low at these times. I changed it two days ago and the registering problem was gone. Now, I think more, I remember the problem got worse in time. So, there might be a good chance that the problem might be the battery, not the neck.

Same here. Seems to be battery related somehow. In fact when I got closer it became much better then changed the battery and it practically went away.

As for boss battles just keep piling power ups and at the end when the boss has the long sequence just unleash everything you got and you win easy.

I don't know if these facts are an indication of where the music market is heading but titles like GH or RB are becoming more and more important to real life bands.

For instance, Metallica's new album has been launched the same day as the new DLC of this album for Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock. Moreover, the DLC tracks have better quality than Universal's retail CDs, with a far better dynamic range.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/sep/17/metallica.guitar.hero.loudness.war

Audiophile fans of Metallica shouldn't bother buying copies of their new album, Death Magnetic. According to one analyst, the record sounds better in the Guitar Hero video game.

"On purchasing our CD ... we gave the disc a spin and couldn't help wondering if our office headphones were faulty as the kick and snare drum seemed to be audibly clipping, along with some of the palm-muted guitar parts," wrote Chris Vinnecombe, guitar editor of music-making website MusicRadar.

The sound issues are a result of the "loudness war" - an ongoing industry effort to make recordings as loud as possible, so that on cursory listens tracks leap forcefully from the speakers. While any album can just have its volume turned up on your stereo, records like Death Magnetic have their audio compressed, making them inherently louder at the expense of dynamic range and sound quality.

The CD version of Death Magnetic takes this to an extreme, pushing the compression past the point of distortion. The version used on the Guitar Hero videogame, where players can solo along with James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett, has been mixed differently - with far better dynamic range. The videogame version of the record was made available last week, as an $18 (£9) download.

Mastering engineer Ian Shepherd's analysis of the two versions - shown as graphical waveforms - makes the CD version's hyper-compression acutely visible.
While there is no official response from the famously cantankerous Metallica camp, the engineer who mastered Death Magnetic is apparently as frustrated as the fans.

"I'm certainly sympathetic to your reaction," said Ted Jensen, head engineer at Sterling Sound, quoted on the Metallica forum. "I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day. In this case, the mixes were already brick-walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here."

"Believe me I'm not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else."

But wait, there is more! Guitar Hero increases music sales by a big margin, says Universal.

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2008/0...ro-sees-music-sales-increase-by-a-big-margin/
Being included in Guitar Hero is the path to commercial success for bands, said Zach Horowitz, President and COO of the Universal Music Group at Activision Blizzard’s Analyst Day.

Horowitz added foundation to his statement by citing “My Name is Jonas” by Weezer as a prime example. The song appeared in Guitar Hero 3 and saw a real-world sales increase of about 1000% in the weeks that followed the game’s release.
It appears Universal sees a business opportunity in the Guitar Hero franchise, which Activision hopes to produce a lot more of in the coming years.

Bands like Aerosmith have increased their sales, too, since GH: Aerosmith has made them more money than any actual Aerosmith album, because of the popularity of the game and its "friendly" nature.

http://www.vooks.net/modules.php?module=article&id=13318

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith makes more bank than any Aerosmith album

Posted by Kaelora on 09.16.08

According to Activision CEO Bobby Kotick, Guitar Hero: Aerosmith has generated more money than any Aerosmith album ever has. Now keep in mind that no Aerosmith album has cost the same as a Guitar Hero game, but an impressive feat nonetheless. "Merchandising, concert sales, their ability to sign a new contract [have] all been unbelievably influenced by their participation in 'Guitar Hero.'" Says Kotick.

Statistics like this may encourage more bands to jump on the Guitar Hero bandwagon, as if the insane popularity of the franchise wasn't enough, so keep an eye out for some more big-name bands starring in their own Guitar Hero in the not too distant future.

Back