Got my 6970s today - Mixed bag so far...

I think the 6 heatpipe models would do the job fine. That's what I had on my 8800GTX after all and it had no problem there whatsoever.
Yeah, maybe, but mine is the older 4-pipe version. :( Besides, it's much too thick to fit in my current system. It worked well in the BTX chassis without blocking anything because the card slots were flipped around with the PCIe 16x at the top, but on an ATX mobo with fans mounted on top of it it would block 3 slots easy.

It's as if Thermalright builds one batch of every product they design and then they discontinue it.
Maybe they're too small a company to keep much of an inventory, or have a manufacturer dedicate production lines to extended production runs...

Ok, ok, I'll come out and admit it! I want a new watercooling rig but don't have time for it!
There.
Fine.
Happy?

[envy]

The only time you need is the time to build it, It doesn't require looking after so once it's built you can just enjoy it.

I think you should go for it :cool:

Can you say 5Ghz Sandy Bridge with Crossfire 6970's with 1Ghz core speed while being twice as cool as the stock items? ;)

The only time you need is the time to build it, It doesn't require looking after so once it's built you can just enjoy it.

I think you should go for it :cool:

Can you say 5Ghz Sandy Bridge with Crossfire 6970's with 1Ghz core speed while being twice as cool as the stock items? ;)

You don't understand. I have two kids, run a company and will be overseas six times between now and June.
Maybe next year though...

I've been thinking of getting one of these. It's self contained and low maintenance and designed to last about 5 years. Unfortunately it's only made for cpu blocks so I'm not sure how it would work in your case plus the fact you need to modify it and risk ruining it if you want to create a multi-block loop with a reservoir.

Well back on the air-cooling topic, I got my two PWM Slip Stream Slim fans from Skythe this week. Now all I'm waiting on is two 4-pin mb header to 4-pin VGA adapter cables (yes I'm so lazy I ordered these rather than splice/soldertin/heat shrink myself).

I'm hoping all comes together next week before I head to China. Otherwise the dual PWM setsugen2 set-up will have to wait till late March.

Look down further adding a radiator dropped it to 45C. It's ridiculously cool but not something you would want to do unless you are willing to possibly have to replace the system if you mess up.

Xenus beat me to it. Version one added a radiator without fans as Xenus noted. Later versions also added a fan cooled radiator that would be mounted to the back of the "case."

And c'mon you know you want a computer setup with a pirate chest inside that opens up occasionally to let the bubbles out. :D

Regards,
SB

I've been thinking of getting one of these. It's self contained and low maintenance and designed to last about 5 years. Unfortunately it's only made for cpu blocks so I'm not sure how it would work in your case plus the fact you need to modify it and risk ruining it if you want to create a multi-block loop with a reservoir.

Problem with those is that they aren't any better then a cheaper high end AIR cooler....

Those all in one systems are complete junk... They're just made for the people who like the idea of water cooling but don't want to do it properly..

I wouldn't blow air bubbles through a mineral oil bath, due to dust contamination. The page reports on this, stating the oil becoming murky over time; no shit, sherlock... :LOL: Closed-loop radiator is the way to go, although submersion of the entire hardware into oil is a dumbfuck thing to do when just putting waterblocks on the main heatsources produces a far superior end result.

I wouldn't blow air bubbles through a mineral oil bath, due to dust contamination. The page reports on this, stating the oil becoming murky over time; no shit, sherlock... :LOL: Closed-loop radiator is the way to go, although submersion of the entire hardware into oil is a dumbfuck thing to do when just putting waterblocks on the main heatsources produces a far superior end result.

The only reason I could see for using the mineral bath approach is if you were going to run closed-loop through a refrigeration unit. Get that oil down to sub-freezing temps (in a better insulated enclosure) and you'll do far, far better than water since water can never get below ambient and peltier/vapochill approaches produce ice/water issues inside the case.

Oh I am aware that they are roughly equal to high end air almighty. And I wouldn't call that junk. I'm thinking about it cause I far prefer the idea of the heavy heatsink hanging on my case then n my motherboard. That and I don't have the cash to go proper water cooling right now.

Got impatient and decided to put a setsugen-2 on before I got my PWM adapter cables...since this was temp I figured I'd use the 3M double-stick that comes on the Scythe RAM sinks.

What a mistake. This stuff is and has always been so crap. I did isopropanol, eraser-scrub then 4x isopropanol again with a lint free dry then canned air...three fell off within ten minutes.

Heading to Microcenter for some epoxy now...

Look down further adding a radiator dropped it to 45C. It's ridiculously cool but not something you would want to do unless you are willing to possibly have to replace the system if you mess up.

you can mess up with the other kinds of cooling too.

I had the displeasure of witnessing hardware that had been immersed for fun and on the cheap. using a plexiglas voting box and used cooking oil :D.
it did work but the hardware was contaminated with an awful stench. the hard drive was immersed as well, I believe it failed rather quickly, putting an end to the experiment.

the aquarium set up shown here would be fun for a number crunchinhg machine with multiple video cards, I guess. with the car radiator on the side you can tell right away it's a computer/aquarium/space heater combo :)

oil immersion is used by the utility companies for electricity transformers.

The only reason I could see for using the mineral bath approach is if you were going to run closed-loop through a refrigeration unit.
Yeah, but even then mineral oil is far from ideal, since it starts to solidify at -20ish C, and if you get moisture in the loop that will freeze and might cause stoppage due to ice buildup...

Back