Got go to Chicago for an appt, I'll be 24 and 10 minutes from 2 different Microcenters

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
And the Westmont location has this refurb in stock just within my budget, an Asus 2070 triple-fan OCed. I know it's older, but I'm running a 580 and I've seen how much better a 2060 super is on my son's cloned PC and I'm damned tempted. If nothing else I'm thinking of checking their used/open box selection in person since they're great about returns if there's a problem and I don't think they post most of it online since it changes so much. The Chicago location barely has any listed and I just feel that can't be right and might be worth a 10 minute trip to check and then if I don't see anything I could drive to Westmont in 20 minutes and get the 2070.

TL/DR: An ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 ROG Strix Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 3.0 Graphics Card (Refurbished) for $190. Think I'd be happy with it or regret it, the only other choices near the price are 6600s and some 3050s. :(

2070 and RX6600 perform very close to each other so I think the 2070 is a good buy at the same price. 2070 gets you DLSS which definitely looks better than FSR at the resolutions you'd be using on a card like that

Once the appointment was over it was a 35 minute drive to the MC less than 5 miles away and 57 minutes the one where the 2070 was at. I took the bad traffic as a sign and just went home. :(

You can get a refurb 2070 on Newegg for $180 with free shipping. It says sold and shipped by Newegg. Has a 90 day warranty.
THANK YOU!!!!

I just spent a couple hours getting dicked around by a Jeep dealer again and was in a foul mood but this snapped me right out of it. Thanks again my friend! :love:

EDITED BITS: Out of stock. Ah well, no rush. The hunt continues...........

THANK YOU!!!!

I just spent a couple hours getting dicked around by a Jeep dealer again and was in a foul mood but this snapped me right out of it. Thanks again my friend! :love:

EDITED BITS: Out of stock. Ah well, no rush. The hunt continues...........
Damn it wasn't out of stock when I posted it. TBH I didn't realize it was such a good deal.

This refurb 2070 Super (essentially a 2080) is only $20 more.

I say essentially a 2080 because it's like 8% slower which should be within the "imperceptible difference" range.

Last edited:
I recall at some point seeing some research on how much of a performance uplift is necessary for the average gamer to notice that it's better. I think the figure they came up with is 30% but I can't remember where I saw it and I can't figure out how to google it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Damn it wasn't out of stock when I posted it. TBH I didn't realize it was such a good deal.

This refurb 2070 Super (essentially a 2080) is only $20 more.

I say essentially a 2080 because it's like 8% slower which should be within the "imperceptible difference" range.
Didn't hesitate this time and got it, thank you dearly Homerdog! I can't believe you found two deals like that in 2 days, I really appreciate your help and efforts and am grateful you found me such a good deal on my next card. A 2070 super seems better than a 2070 and the extra $20 doesn't really put it out of my price range. I thought it was a hell of a value, one of the best I've seen. It's almost impossible to get something decent for under $200 but this isn't just decent it's much better than I could have ever hoped for!

Thank you, sincerely and deeply. Thank you.

I got free shipping so it won't be here until next Thursday but I didn't mind that so much as that's 2 days before my birthday so I should get in less trouble for getting it without asking first, besides I had to jump on it or it'd be gone again! ;)

EDITED BITS: Wow, it's out of stock. That really was the last one, THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!

Been kind of thinking it was gonna be a shit morning/day since I gotta go deal with a Jeep dealer and then start OT and speech therapy this afternoon, looks like I was wrong and it's gonna be a good Friday after all! Hugs and loves and blessed be! :love:

Holy mother of fuckballs is this thing faster than my 580! Put her in yesterday and went through a couple of hours of remembering/learning about nVidia drivers and utilities with a lot of help from people here in the driver release thread and on Discord. I was playing Forbidden West on almost low everything with the 580 and was barely pulling 60fps with dips into the 20s way too much, the 2070 super runs it all on high at a pretty solid 70fps with low dips in the 40s which isn't really enough for me to notice and I think it's only when shaders are compiling in the background. :D

Card seemed in like new conditions, temps are lower than expected, and it's quiet. No complaints, VERY happy with it and my new gaming experience.

And bonus, gsync works just spiffy with my freesync monitor so long as I use a DP cable and don't mind the refresh rate only being 120Hz. It's a 165Hz monitor but I ran it at 144Hz anyway since it was a little flaky at 165Hz, either way it doesn't matter as after around 70fps+ I can't really tell the difference.

It's quiet too which I didn't expect and I love the utter lack of any lights on it. I think I got a winner, thanks again for all the help!

Holy mother of fuckballs is this thing faster than my 580! Put her in yesterday and went through a couple of hours of remembering/learning about nVidia drivers and utilities with a lot of help from people here in the driver release thread and on Discord. I was playing Forbidden West on almost low everything with the 580 and was barely pulling 60fps with dips into the 20s way too much, the 2070 super runs it all on high at a pretty solid 70fps with low dips in the 40s which isn't really enough for me to notice and I think it's only when shaders are compiling in the background. :D

Card seemed in like new conditions, temps are lower than expected, and it's quiet. No complaints, VERY happy with it and my new gaming experience.

And bonus, gsync works just spiffy with my freesync monitor so long as I use a DP cable and don't mind the refresh rate only being 120Hz. It's a 165Hz monitor but I ran it at 144Hz anyway since it was a little flaky at 165Hz, either way it doesn't matter as after around 70fps+ I can't really tell the difference.

It's quiet too which I didn't expect and I love the utter lack of any lights on it. I think I got a winner, thanks again for all the help!
That's great. I went from a GTX970 to a 4070 and it was just insane how much faster the 4070 is. Even with pretty weak gen on gen price/perf gains, if you wait a few gens to upgrade you can still get that huge and satisfying leap.

Back