Google Wave

I have a bunch of invitations to give away. If any B3Der is interested just send me a PM with an e-mail address and I will add you.

A few in our office have been experimenting with it - including editing maps etc.

I think the whole concept shows a lot of promise.

I think private wave servers may be where the biggest success lies. I can see companies building private wave servers for specialized internal work. Right now, my friends just aren't interested in the differences between this and email or IM. They already have those tools, know how to use them, and are happy with them. Personally, I like it, and I'd like to use it more.

Wave is now in public beta, which makes it more useful in that regard. But I can't say that the service has improved much at the moment - now when you start a new Wave, you can choose from a bunch of templates, but these templates are basically just layouted text, with very few interactive features or integration with other applications.

I've taken one of the surveys before the beta went public, and indicated that for me the most important improvement I require from Wave is integration with existing email.

Well one thing I did for instance was set up a Wave shared with my wife, in which I put a list of trips we wanted to do, with a suggestion when, or a date for when we last went on that trip. Being accessible in realtime to both of us anywhere and being replayable, it gives a nice overview of what trips we planned when, how often etc, and is a good resource for if we want a quick suggestion of what to do with a weekend.

I'm not saying it's a great or brilliant idea, but that's the kind of thing it can be useful for.

I definitely would like to use Waves instead of email threads as well, but for that it needs to be more integrated with email first, or else no-one will use it.

I hope this means they took my suggestions and are going to basically build this into gmail slowly. Some suggestions that they are doing just that are in the blog I see, and also of course the recent drag/drop gmail functionality.

Back