Google Nexus lineup

Perhaps they are preparing for the future where there is as much money in smartphones as there is in PCs. They just want to be the MS of that era, owning the software and squeezing everybody else out.

The ad cash printing machine is being put to good use, I think.

Motorola dragged down their last quarterly earnings report.

Stock took a hit because of it.

Mobile ad revenues are still insignificant.

They may never get a decent return on the billions they've invested in Android so far, not to mention all the opportunity costs.

Mobile ad revenues are still insignificant.
They may never get a decent return on the billions they've invested in Android so far, not to mention all the opportunity costs

from oct 2012
This year Google’s mobile business is on an $8 billion run rate, boosted in part by the addition of mobile content and app sales through the Google Play store, he said. Google didn’t specify what share of that $8 billion comes from mobile ads, but chief financial officer Patrick Pichette said “ads continues to be the bulk of it, the vast majority of it.”
insignificant?

Most of their mobile revenues is from iOS.

There is the other issue that despite the huge sales volumes of Android devices, most of the web usage from mobile devices are iOS.

Little secret is that a big chunk of Android sales are in China, on devices which have limited access to Google Play and a lot of the volume goes to low end devices which apparently are used as dumb phones.

Most of their mobile revenues is from iOS.

There is the other issue that despite the huge sales volumes of Android devices, most of the web usage from mobile devices are iOS.

Little secret is that a big chunk of Android sales are in China, on devices which have limited access to Google Play and a lot of the volume goes to low end devices which apparently are used as dumb phones.

May be. But Android has >50% share in US smartphones as well. More in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the iPhone 5, despite being supply-constrained, boosted Apple's share above android in the last quarter.
So youre saying if nintendo sell more wii u's this quarter than wii's. The wiiU share of the market is higher than the wii share of the market!

Q3 2012 worldwide marketshare of smartphones (gartner)

android 72.4%
iOS 13.9%

but yes if you count browsing, the 2 are a lot closer, though android still leads

With google marking $8 billion last year on mobile revenue, I think its safe to say, android development costs have more than paid off. FWIW google spent $5.2 billion last year on all R&D

There's the Motorola acquisition and billions more spent buying some patents.

Motorola was a drag on their earnings the last quarter. Will it ever contribute to GOOG earnings? Only Samsung seems to be making money on Android phones right now.

And I don't think the $8 billion was actually reported but someone claiming it was their run rate. Even if it was, revenues doesn't equal profits. Google for instance paid Verizon to distribute Droid phones.

You also have to wonder where most of those revenues come from. Just this last week, iOS had a lopsided share of Black Friday purchases made from mobile. Is google still getting most or even a big chunk from iOS. How many of those 99€ Android phones are being used regularly online or to purchase apps?

Android was certainly a strategic move. So they control their own mobile platform. But the Chinese have supposedly forked their own branch and Samsung could as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/21/motorola-x-phone-x-tablet-rumor-android-smartphone/

It looks like Google is putting Motorola to use after-all. Supposedly they are developing a first-party smartphone to directly compete with the Apple iPhone and Samsung Galaxy. A first-party tablet will follow shortly after. It'll be interesting to see whether this is a move to bring the Nexus line completely in-house or is a separate product and how Android partners will react, especially if it is an explicit move to draw down Samsung's large share of the Android market.

EDIT: I didn't originally have access to the full article due to the WSJ paywall, but reading the article instead of the re-reporting, Motorola isn't getting early access to Android builds so this doesn't seem like a Nexus device or a Nexus replacement. Instead they are they are committing whatever other resources or money to allow Motorola to produce a successful flagship phone and tablet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather have a brighter and better calibrated screen, cameras and microsd ports in the next Nexus 7 iteration than a 7" 1080p screen.

Which is cheaper, a higher res screen or a better calibrate one?

Remember, Google is working on minimal or no margins.

I think it's only a small proportion of the market which cares about better calibration and color gamut. Nobody prints photos these days so they're not going to notice if the color accuracy or the prints match the screens.

Which is cheaper, a higher res screen or a better calibrate one?

Remember, Google is working on minimal or no margins.

I think it's only a small proportion of the market which cares about better calibration and color gamut. Nobody prints photos these days so they're not going to notice if the color accuracy or the prints match the screens.

No, but some care about the photos they're looking at in the tablet are anywhere near their memory of the place.

Furthermore, better color calibration opens the market for photography enthusiasts.

If it didn't matter, apple wouldn't be showing it off and spending lots of money implementing it in the transition between ipad 3 and 4.

No, but some care about the photos they're looking at in the tablet are anywhere near their memory of the place.

Furthermore, better color calibration opens the market for photography enthusiasts.

If it didn't matter, apple wouldn't be showing it off and spending lots of money implementing it in the transition between ipad 3 and 4.
I think it was the iPad 3 that introduced full sRGB calibrated displays. The iPad 4 tweaked it further.

I wonder if power consumption is a concern and what the relative power cost implementing higher resolution vs larger color gamut is?

I think it was the iPad 3 that introduced full sRGB calibrated displays. The iPad 4 tweaked it further.
Is thought the 4 kept the same screen as the 3?

I wonder if power consumption is a concern and what the relative power cost implementing higher resolution vs larger color gamut is?
Pretty sure that high resolution is way more power hungry than large color gamut.

Isn't gamut simply linked to the spectral characteristics of the backlight LEDs?

Back