Google Nexus lineup

Seriously..even I dont see the need for anything beyond 1080p on a phone. Heck..I'd say even 720p is adequate for a sub 5" display.

But..coming back to the Nexus..I wonder why the battery life is so low compared to the Note 4..is the AMOLED screen that much more power efficient or is there anything else to it? GPU performance from the Adreno 420 is quite good and the Snapdragon 810 with Adreno 430 should take it even further.

What's so great about the 420 performance when it seems to throttle quite heavily? I'm willing to bet that if they'd clock the 420 at lower levels to minimize throttling the difference in performance compared to its 330 predecessor should be miniscule.

Initially while watching the 420's/S805 SoCs I thought it's just a singled out incidence, but there are more than one examples: http://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfx30&os=Android&api=gl&D=Samsung SM-G906 Galaxy S5 Prime

Unless the entries at Kishonti are wrong that's a performance degradation of roughly 48% in T-Rex for only 30 runs through it.

They're selling the dev platform for the Snapdragon 810 whose specs might give a sense of what the 2015 Nexus and a slew of others phones might be packing:

http://www.intrinsyc.com/products/qualcomm/mdp-smartphone-powered-by-snapdragon-810-processor.aspx

And $800 for what you're getting is a more than fair price provided you can pop in a SIM and get it working as a daily-driver.

Although a 6.2" 16:10 device is rather stretching the definition of a phone, is the exact width listed anywhere? Excellent hardware specifications though.
I wonder if manufacturers will fit the 810 into smaller devices, or just rely on an 810/808 division for (ph/t)ablets/phones.

Last edited:
Good bottom line in the summation:

With all of this in mind, it’s hard to give a resounding recommendation of the Nexus 9. The Nexus 9 is a step towards a high-end Android tablet, but not the leap that Google was hoping for. If you want an Android tablet near the size of the Nexus 9, I can’t really recommend anything else. The Galaxy Tab S falls short on account of performance and battery life, and despite the somewhat unremarkable design of the Nexus 9 I believe that it is nicer than the Galaxy Tab S. However, if one were to assume that OEMs are currently readying devices to truly carry the torch of the high-end tablet, the Nexus 9 is a hard sell. I suspect that this wouldn’t be nearly as difficult if the Nexus 9 had a lower price point of $300 and $350 USD for the 16GB and 32 GB WiFi variants, and $450-$500 for the 32GB LTE variant. Google has managed to get close to the mark with the Nexus 9, but like the Nexus 6 it seems that it’s up to the OEMs to cover the remaining distance.

Yep..seems like Google came close but no cigar. If they had managed to launch at Google I/O..then it would have been an entirely different matter. They would have had the market all to themselves for a while. But by the time they launched..the new iPad and even the Exynos 5433 was already shipping and you have to ask yourself..would it have been a better choice in hindsight?

Nexus 9 was far from perfect but it looks like the same applies to Lollipop let say it has a long road to go...

Looked at it in stores a couple of times and always looked and performed fine as far as I could tell. The price combined with no sd slot always bothered me though.

I wonder what is true of the rumors about HTC making the next two Nexus phones. The HTC 10 looks like a decent device that could serve as a good base for a new 6P. Hopefully the rumors are true that the new 6P gets a 5.5 screen. I'm thinking about buying a HTC 10 to replace my HTC One M7 but I kinda want something with a ~5.5 screen, the 10 is 5.2.

I thought about buying the current 6P, I like the design and size but the pricing is way off. The 64gb version is still sold at the same price as all the new smartphones like the S7 and HTC 10. That and the brightness of that AMOLED screen is horrible. Doesn't come close to my M7 and that screen is about the minimum you need over here if you want to see anything outside in direct sunlight.

Back