Google Nexus lineup

Well the cheap Chinese and other emerging market brands will undercut all the name-brand Android devices anyways ...

Nexus 9 early benchmarks:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexu...gra-K1-outperforms-Apple-iPhone-6s-A8_id61825

Excellent single-threaded performance but less than ideal scaling for multi-threaded benches. This is probably due to the overhead of using the non-executing core for code cache optimization.

It depends on what data point you look at. There is one other HTC Volantis Nexus 9 data point ( http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/1014788 ) that lists Single-core 1807, Multi-core 3220 , which is very similar [1.782x] Multi-core scaling compared to Cyclone enhanced [1.796x] Multi-core scaling. That said, you could be right about the overhead (although the dynamic code optimization can occur in hidden time slices rather than with the extra core if need be).

FWIW, as noted on the forum, these are AArch32 results (compared to AArch64 results for iPhone 6/6+). The floating point numbers for Nexus 9 in particular should receive a nice boost with AArch64.

Last edited by a moderator:
As per liolio's post. It's confirmed by google to be PowerVr series 6 and 4-core atom. That combo is only found on Moorefield.

"1.8GHz Quad Core, Intel® Atom™
Imagination PowerVR Series 6 Graphics 2D/3D Engine"

Hum I seriously wonder now, it could be a typo be google own video advertise a quad core Atom "silvermont" @1.8GHz :(

//
Edit I'm full of it, actually Moorefield is part of the silvermont family.

Once it is all said and done I think that generation of Nexus devices was a complete let down, not that the devices are bad by any mean but I don't see how they are giving OEM any direction or hint about where Google would want the market to go.

The Nexus 6:
It brings nothing to the phablet market, specs are high end for sure but that is not enough to set the device apart. The form factor would have been relevant had Google decided to make stylus an integrated part of the Android experience. They did not and as it is the device completely lacks a sense of purpose. Even as a vessel for Lollipop it feels an unnecessary as lots of flagship phones are to receive the Lollipop update soon enough.

More broadly my pov on the topic is that the phone market is crowded enough, competitive and innovative enough, Google does no longer need to push its own devices. Google tried to push its vision of a more unified Android (Android One, Android Silver, Google play editions) and it got rejected by the market actors, manufacturers need to differentiate themselves from one anothers and the bulk of the users don't care either.
What the Nexus line of phones provides can find in Motorola current offer for example, more market actors could also decide to cover than market niche: good support, close to vanilla experience.

Sum Up: a good phablet but it certainly lacks any sense of purpose.

The Nexus 9:
I strongly dislike that one as it is an as unimaginative as can be copy of their main competitor's, Apple, take on tablets too bad Android and all its apps are meant to run on wide screen.
That means a lot of work to adapt existing Apps (and actually for now few incentives for the developers to do so till there are a lot of Android tablets with 4:3 screen ratio).
I do get that 19:10 and 16:9 formats makes for pretty long devices, that it is not the most convenient form factor for reading, browsing web yet it has it upsides. It is great for media consumption, and for gaming for example. It also allow for 2 windows side by side as Samsung and LG custom UI allows for example.
There are many shades of grey, it applies to screen ratio too (and form factors) there are quite a few options between 16:9 and 4:3.
A 3:2 screen ration could have been a good compromise (though I would have stuck to 16/9 myself).
Form factors could have been further altered through bezels and speakers placement in the search for something that "feels" more like a magazine.
Something Google could have been well inspired to copy is Lenovo or MSFT idea to have a proper integrated stand included to the tablet, something that needs to be standardized. A breakthrough could have been a kickstand that allows for both portrait and landscape mode.
It is also failed to catch up with the trend of lighter devices.

On the tech level Nvidia SOC seems to do a good job, though I think lots of reviewers usually so keen on reporting any difference between 432PPI and 486PPI (random figures) did not noticed that actually the Nexus 9 is a step back from its predecessor the nexus 10 and from another 8.9" tablet, the amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9". Both managed to provide the high quality printing experience marketed (oops reinvented...) by Apple as "Retina" experience.

Sum up: if the Nexus 6 lacks a sense of purpose and won't drive the market anywhere it is a least a very good phablet, the Nexus 9 actually takes the risk to drive the market where it should not go, triggering a lot of useless work from developers. Its design is passable, going backward on some front, reported built quality is not great.
I do not think that all of sudden the guys at Google turned bad but they might be operating within too much constrains at the time or they need a big shake up and try to have a fresher look at things again.
---------------------
Big sum up:
At this point I think that as Google vision for a more "unified" Android failed, their own line of products is now between a rock and a hard place: they are not longer willing to compete on price with manufacturers that support their ecosystem, and it seems that they are also unwilling to integrate features that would nullify some big manufacturers selling points (I think specifically about stylus support and multi windows support, wrt to design integrated stand could also), I could certainly be wrong but from the "outside" (/my pov) it looks a lot like that.

Overall the Nexus line lost its sense of purpose, it was created to drive the market in given directions, it did for phones for tablets though I think the issue is that the line does not have to go on based on legacy (wording).
The Nexus line should be used to push new usages of Google OS and services, it could be a wearable, it could have been an attempt to revive "pod" type of product (a bit like amazon cheap kindle fire HD 6") or trying to reach for the living room as the NExus Player does (imo in a really unsucessful way too).

Last edited:
You're not making much sense. Android scales just fine between different aspect ratios. With the exception of a few apps, most noticeably facebook, most apps should have no problem running on 4:3 not require any adjustments by the developer.

The 6 and 9 are still priced competitively and offer what some would consider the benefit of no skin and quick updates. Others might prefer the additional features Samsung etc make.

With the previous nexus devices google tried to push manufactures towards building high quality, high specced devices at a decent price. Just look at what HTC, Samsung, LG and Sony make and it is obvious there is no lack of quality hardware. So in that respect google succeeded and there is no need to push for steps being taking on the hardware front. The 6 and 9 are all about the software.

You're not making much sense. Android scales just fine between different aspect ratios. With the exception of a few apps, most noticeably facebook, most apps should have no problem running on 4:3 not require any adjustments by the developer.
You are not making much sense either, as you just find your-self one of the most used and downloaded app in the history of mankind, Facebook, needs some work, not much but still need some. For developers they already have UI optimized for that form factor on iOS, porting should be trivial but it does not happen by it-self. Most Android devices uses wider screen ratio, dev have few incentive to adapt. I don't see that evolving much as actually 4:3 is also not the best match for lots of manufacturers in house efforts to provide multi windows support, it is not good for media consumption, etc.
The 6 and 9 are still priced competitively and offer what some would consider the benefit of no skin and quick updates. Others might prefer the additional features Samsung etc make.
Did I said otherwise wrt pricing? Moto phones are really close to vanilla experience and get great support, other manufacturers could also invade that niche.
With the previous nexus devices google tried to push manufactures towards building high quality, high specced devices at a decent price. Just look at what HTC, Samsung, LG and Sony make and it is obvious there is no lack of quality hardware. So in that respect google succeeded and there is no need to push for steps being taking on the hardware front. The 6 and 9 are all about the software.
I would say Google succeeded with previous Nexus releases and created incentive for higher quality products, now the last round of devices is not their best to say the least.
WRT to software and Android L /Lollipop, well they were not necessary, the Moto X already got it for example.
That it what I'm tried to say about "legacy" not sure if it is the most correct way to state it, Nexus took shape of tablets, and phones when it was necessary now that imo it is not, they should not be concerned about pushing out new phones or tablets.

Last edited:
4:3 support on android isn't something that I'd consider a big deal. You're right it's definitely one of the more uncommon aspect ratios for that platform, but two things: 1) it's not the first 4:3 android device (so this isn't a new problem) and 2) more importantly like you mention, we already have to do it for ios so it's generally "free" on android.

The annoying thing about android's aspect ratios are the software buttons. You can't plan exactly for 16:9 as that's almost never your true aspect ratio. But that's for a different thread. :D

IMO Nexus has always been about value, not pushing an experience. They are quality devices at everyman prices. The latest Nexus options are very much in this vein offering superb bang-per-buck. Plus they are Google platforms so get the latest OS improvements. As an option within the Android family, they have a well defined place.

IMO Nexus has always been about value, not pushing an experience. They are quality devices at everyman prices. The latest Nexus options are very much in this vein offering superb bang-per-buck. Plus they are Google platforms so get the latest OS improvements. As an option within the Android family, they have a well defined place.
the nexus 6 is about the same price as the 'superior' sony Z3. WRT OS updates, in future this shouldnt be as much of an issue in future, with android 5+ as google are moving most things out of the core OS, more so than say IOS.

QHD (1440p) AMOLED display means the N6 strikes me as a superior device, although the differences at this point are subjective. That said, I didn't realise how expensive the N6 is. Certainly not a value phone! I guess Google are aiming to make money from this device, riding Nexus brand awareness.

Most Android devices uses wider screen ratio, dev have few incentive to adapt. I don't see that evolving much as actually 4:3 is also not the best match for lots of manufacturers in house efforts to provide multi windows support, it is not good for media consumption, etc.
I think it's a good thing for Google to remind developers that targeting one aspect ratio just isn't good enough. Multi window support is actually another good reason why devs need to care about narrow aspect ratios, and indeed arbitrary ones.

4:3 support on android isn't something that I'd consider a big deal. You're right it's definitely one of the more uncommon aspect ratios for that platform, but two things: 1) it's not the first 4:3 android device (so this isn't a new problem) and 2) more importantly like you mention, we already have to do it for ios so it's generally "free" on android.

The annoying thing about android's aspect ratios are the software buttons. You can't plan exactly for 16:9 as that's almost never your true aspect ratio. But that's for a different thread. :D
Definitely it is not that much of big deal as the how to is here (straight from iOS I guess). It is not the first Android device to walk that road, the Xiaomi Mi Pad got there already (I actually think it is a better product/design).
Mimicking Apple and supporting that new Nexus create new design opportunities though in an already extremely diverse and fragmented environment. May be it is not that much of a deal and the pro outwait the con, I should not let the Nexus 9 merits (or lackings in my view) cloud my judgment.

This gen is a meh for me.

QHD (1440p) AMOLED display means the N6 strikes me as a superior device, although the differences at this point are subjective.
True that part is better (though at the expense of faster battery drain) I want AMOLED on my next phone, Im a bit pissed off how bright displays are when you have them set to 0 brightness.
But the Z3 has one of the best battery life of any phone
better GPS,better camera,waterproof,has a radio. it does seem to me as better hardware

EDIT: review, theyre not too impressed
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/nexus-6-review-the-premium-price-still-comes-with-compromises

the redish screen at lowest light levels is a good feature hopefully its a android 5.0 feature so I can use it on my phone in a couple of weeks

Last edited:
I think it's a good thing for Google to remind developers that targeting one aspect ratio just isn't good enough. Multi window support is actually another good reason why devs need to care about narrow aspect ratios, and indeed arbitrary ones.
I've seen the "light" and agree with that, actually wrt to screen format ratio I was focused on tablets but there are markets (korea it seems) where some phablets comes in 4:3 format too. Proper support of 4:3 (first) should help those lines of product too.

Anandtech nexus 6 review is out. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the read but I had my hope high for a nexus 9 review and especially their take on Nvidia SOC.

EDIT
done reading that article and quite a few others and another meh.
As a side note I really do not understand the trend to push resolution that high.
There is next to no content above 1080p, worse it eats away (~) all the hardware improvement on the GPU side.
1080p provides enough pixels to remain into "retina" territory (actually not reach by either ipad air 2 and the Nexus 9) for screen up to ~7 inch.

Last edited:
Seriously..even I dont see the need for anything beyond 1080p on a phone. Heck..I'd say even 720p is adequate for a sub 5" display.

But..coming back to the Nexus..I wonder why the battery life is so low compared to the Note 4..is the AMOLED screen that much more power efficient or is there anything else to it? GPU performance from the Adreno 420 is quite good and the Snapdragon 810 with Adreno 430 should take it even further.

Back