Google Nexus lineup

Nexus 5 has turned up on GLBenchmark, nothing shocking, but still nice to confirm that it's using a Snapdragon 800.

The most confusing part, the API level for its Key Lime Pie build (somebody didn't get the memo:smile:) is still 18, the same as 4.3, signifying what I'm not sure, but perhaps a very incremental refinement of 4.3.

http://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfx27&D=Google+Nexus+5&testgroup=overall

http://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfx27&D=Google+Nexus+5&testgroup=system
I think you mean Kit Kat™(The renaming is totally not funded by Nestle/Hershey's :LOL:).

That's what Turbotab meant by "somebody didn't get the memo" because the OS string read by the benchmark said KeyLimePie.

Nexus 5 announced.

Similar to the LG G2 but downgrade of the camera and a few other components.

More LTE bands than before but not as many as the ones supported by the new iPads.

But progressing towards "global" LTE devices.

The performance drop from thermal throttling can become noticeable after about fifteen minutes of pretty intensive gaming, but frame rates from the Nexus 5's 2.265 GHz S800 still manage to be relatively playable even then.

http://youtu.be/4GRcTxaWd24

Rumors for 2014 are a Nexus 6 made by Motorola (5.92-inch QHD screen) with SD 805 with 3 GB of RAM, 13 Mp camera, a 5.2-inch phone and a Nexus 9 tablet from HTC.

This is suppose to be happening in October.

With the bendy iPhone 6 Plus, I'll be curious about what they put out.

With the bendy iPhone 6 Plus, I'll be curious about what they put out.
Well it prolly won't be cheap metal, but expensive plastic :LOL:

I was up the mountain yesterday (hoping for snow, none felt though) the gps with the nexus 5 is better than nexus 4

nexus 5 20seconds to get a location
nexus 4 5minutes to get a location

my main complaint with the nexus 5 is battery life seems a lot worse than nexus4 about 2 hours less video watching, Ive been mucking around with it for months trying to improve it but no luck. Odd cause a lot of benchmarks say the opposite i.e. 5 > 4

Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 announced.

Looks like Google isn't subsidizing these at cost or near cost anymore, $399 for the 16 GB Nexus 9, $599 for the 32 GB LTE and $649 for the Nexus 6 phablet

So pricing is on par with premium devices, not undercutting them dramatically.

Like the new Nexus 9, the MSRP of the older Nexus 10 was $399 with 2GB RAM and 16GB storage space.

The higher MSRP of Nexus 6 vs. Nexus 5 is probably due to the fact that it will be sold across multiple wireless carriers at prices that will be subsidized by the wireless carrier.

Nexus Player was also announced.
It's basically a FireTV (Android TV) with a BayTrail CPU and a very robust WiFi connectivity.

Google did a pretty smart thing in bringing a variety of different vendors on board: HTC, Motorola, and Asus for the design and build, and NVIDIA, Qualcomm, and Intel for the SoC hardware.

Nexus Player was also announced.
It's basically a FireTV (Android TV) with a BayTrail CPU and a very robust WiFi connectivity.
very surprised to not see a Tegra SoC on this Nexus player as it was during the L preview launch.
Looks like this round Google tries to please all important actors (Mediatek for Android One, Intel for TV, QC for phone and Nvidia for tablet)

very surprised to not see a Tegra SoC on this Nexus player as it was during the L preview launch.
Looks like this round Google tries to please all important actors (Mediatek for Android One, Intel for TV, QC for phone and Nvidia for tablet)

And then there's Samsung sitting in the corner, crying. Hisilicon has been knocking at the door but no one seems to listen.

even more intriguing, this new nexus player has a gamepad accessory :
Nexus_Player.jpg

dedicated to gaming and not using TK1 ? it's really really politics here, not based on technical merits...

it's really really politics here, not based on technical merits...

It is a matter of cost, not a matter of performance. The Google Nexus Player will sell for only $99 USD, so a premium SoC such as Tegra K1 that is used in devices > $299 USD would not be very suitable. And with Intel's contra revenue program, Asus and Google can bring this product to market at such a low price while still making some money.

Google Nexus Player will be competing primarily against Amazon Fire TV (with quad-core S600 SoC) and Apple TV (with single-core A5 SoC). These devices are not dedicated gaming devices, but rather streaming media players that in some cases can play some games and in some cases have an optional game controller that is sold separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because that chip uses a powerVR GPU (see the nexus web page) ;)

Down on that page

Last edited by a moderator:
Back