Google Earth

Reverend

Banned
How accurate is the free version? How up-to-date is the free version? <edit>Is the have-to-pay version both accurate and up-to-date?

I ask because development/construction works have started on a particular plot of land in an area I searched but GE does not reflect/show that.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
At some places the images are not very recent. For example, Taipei 101 has been completed for years but on Google Maps it's still under construction.

Well, how does Google Earth work then? Is it simply not up-to-date/current or is it up-to-date for certain places?

It's up to date for certain areas, but not for others. It's a shame, but I guess it comes down to being given permission to take images and use them in a timely manner. Some countries may be sensitive about what's happening in various regions of their countries, and don't permit satellite imagery to be used.

It's up to date for certain areas, but not for others. It's a shame, but I guess it comes down to being given permission to take images and use them in a timely manner. Some countries may be sensitive about what's happening in various regions of their countries, and don't permit satellite imagery to be used.
I'm in Malaysia and I'm talking about Google Earth --> Malaysia.

Nothing seriously "sensitive" happens in Malaysia :)

I'm in Malaysia and I'm talking about Google Earth --> Malaysia.

Nothing seriously "sensitive" happens in Malaysia :)
So that launcher you're building in your yard to take your to your secret Mars base isn't sensitive? I'll take the tarpaulin off mine then, see you there!

Being serious, I'm pretty sure you can enquire with Google directly and I think they can tell you what the status is with the imagery for your country. For the place where I grew up in the UK, the image is quite old too :(

their faq states that images are between 1-3 years. Your not likely to get real time images since it would get expensive to do so.

Actually the satellites are always getting images. But since they (the satellite companies) sell these images at very high prices (in the neighborhood of several thousand dollars per km^2), it's unlikely that Google always buy the latest images for "less important" area. Until, of course, when Google decides to launch their own satellites.

You might also give Microsoft's Virtual Earth a try, the images are better.
A UK TV program had a segment on Microsoft's project. It explained how they are flying light aircraft at "lowish" altitude over the more populated regions of Europe taking 4(?) very high resolution photographs at different angles every minute . The cost must be astronomical.

Back