Good Wimpy-Laptop Games?

That's why dual GPU (integrated/discrete) is a good thing. When you're on the 777 with AC power at your seat, crank up the discrete. When you get the decrepit 747 with worn-out CRTs over the aisle for the community movie and no power, turn off the discrete or fire up the iPad...

With the stupid monkey mutants that jump 15 meters from a standstill at you and take off half your health in one hit - no thanks. And not to mention the gorillas that eat three RPG rounds to the chest before going down... Jesus christ, way to ruin what was a great game up until that point! :p

Anyway, Limbo's out on Steam for OSX since a couple days now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the trip is over for now. I won't have a long haul until March I hope. A couple shorter flights, but no 14 hour ones till then :)

March... maybe that's on time for getting an Ivy Bridge or Trinity subnotebook.
How is your patience? ;)

Okay, that new MacBook Pro with quad Ivy Bridge, Kepler 650 and 2880x1800 display is just gorgeous. I wonder how it runs bootcamp :)

Okay, that new MacBook Pro with quad Ivy Bridge, Kepler 650 and 2880x1800 display is just gorgeous. I wonder how it runs bootcamp :)

Here's what I think:

bIblZ.png

2880x1800 will be a slideshow in most (recent) games, but for 1680*1050 or lower it should be nice, and that's still a great resolution for 15".

Without AA why would it be a slideshow? Each 24bit frame = 0.0156 of VRAM so that's 64 Frames. Could you even pull off 2x FSAA with that?

Or you could run your games at 1440x900 with a good amount of AA and it would look fine. For me that would be preferable to 2880x1800 with tiny ants crawling all over the screen.

Or you could run your games at 1440x900 with a good amount of AA and it would look fine. For me that would be preferable to 2880x1800 with tiny ants crawling all over the screen.

Yap, 1440*900 + 2xMSAA + FXAA (or nVidia's TSAA, is it?) will look gorgeous in a 15".
A much higher resolution will make most GUIs unreadable.

It depends upon the game. Most would look better as you guys say, but strategy games where you can "see" more would love the extra pixels at lower IQ.

Unlike the shit-tastic Windows UI, the Mac UI actually scales incredibly well to high DPI screens. Microsoft is doing better with Win7 than they have with any prior OS, but they're still years behind the Mac UI for high-DPI support.

I'm quite sure the high DPI screen was not geared towards high-res gaming; it's a Mac, after all :D

Unlike the shit-tastic Windows UI, the Mac UI actually scales incredibly well to high DPI screens. Microsoft is doing better with Win7 than they have with any prior OS, but they're still years behind the Mac UI for high-DPI support.

Windows 8 supports high dpi no?

Windows 8 supports high dpi no?

Windows 2000 "supported" high DPI, as did XP, Vista, and Seven. The slow evolution has been mostly positive, but it still has nothing on the Mac UI. I'm not convinced that Windows 8 has this problem solved either, as the problem is more fundamental than just the OS itself. All the billions of Win32 apps that make Windows the powerhouse OS that it is, are also culpable in the high-DPI disaster that it also is.

Back