Good Wimpy-Laptop Games?

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
Delta finally put a 777-200LR on the route I fly to China the most so I finally have in-seat power in "Economy Comfort" which means I can use my laptop (2009 MacBook Pro, C2D 2.6 GHz, NV 9400/9600 GPU) to game instead of my iPad2. The question is what games can that laptop run well? I have a bootcamp partition with XPP so they can be either OSX or XPP games.

Any suggestions? I'm heading out Saturday...
Thanks.

Solitaire? j/k ;)

Gratuitous Space Battles seems to play well on my IGP edit:It might need more CPU power though...[/b]
Braid would work well, and it's a fantastic indie title
Osmos is also quite fun and I know it runs well on my IGP
Machinarium is good, but short, and would run well
THe old, original Unreal would play well on an IGP

Last edited by a moderator:
After looking at some 9400gt benchmarks, you should be ok with dx 8.1 games
devil may cry 4 1280x720 no aa or af gets 49fps at console res
cod 4 and even stalker are playable at console res
dont forget to bring a mouse with you

I will bring a mouse...the 9600 should be much better than the 9400 but I honestly have never gamed on this laptop.

just go wild while there still is 50% discount on gog (pretty much on anything). should be able to play most of the games there.

Binding of Isaac, World of Goo, Blocks that Matter, Torchlight, Edge, Psychonauts, WH40k: Dawn of War (the original with expansions), Limbo, Nyxquest...

Some of these aren't really games you'll want to play for an entire incontinental flight, I admit... Maybe bring some movies also, or something. Or even a book! Goshdurnit! :LOL:

Some of these aren't really games you'll want to play for an entire incontinental flight, I admit... Maybe bring some movies also, or something. Or even a book! Goshdurnit! :LOL:

I always bring books and movies...I've been to Asia about fifty times in the last 8-9 years and Europe at least that many so the 14 hour leg (US Midwest to Asia) is relatively easy now :) Shame I don't sleep much.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Ok here's the list I'm going to load up...
Steam:
GratiutousSBs
Limbo
Samorost 2
WH40kDoW
World of Goo
Xotic

GoG:
Alpha Centauri
Panzer General 2

Edit: I also have the id pack so maybe I'll load up Quake 2...oh and I still have my UT and Unreal CDs...

Anyone know if the Apple "magic" mouse works in XPP? (Laptop's at the office)

Play WoW and the reason is twofold:

1) It's not graphically demanding
2) You'll be in China after having wondered where the time went. You'll be thinking the same thing 4 years later.

I'm seriously jealous. Every stupid flight I've taken, my seat hasn't come equipped with an outlet, and my laptop is garbage with battery life.

You don't wanna game with the magic mouse, it sucks, because it won't detect you holding down both left and right mouse buttons at the same time...and there's no middle button either, and scrollwheel (swiping, really) is much much too sensitive for gaming. You'll switch weapons 50 million times by a small drag of your finger in Quake 2. :(

Suggest you pack another mouse, unless you stick to games that don't really need much from your mouse. I guess most casual titles would be fine though, if you don't wanna splurge. Action gaming will be painful though...

Play WoW and the reason is twofold:

1) It's not graphically demanding
2) You'll be in China after having wondered where the time went. You'll be thinking the same thing 4 years later.

I'm seriously jealous. Every stupid flight I've taken, my seat hasn't come equipped with an outlet, and my laptop is garbage with battery life.

I have actually *never* played WoW and wouldn't have thought of running a server and playing it offline. Is it good with all NPCs? Interesting idea...

More and more seats are getting power, but it has to be a newer plane or recently overhauled.

You don't wanna game with the magic mouse, it sucks, because it won't detect you holding down both left and right mouse buttons at the same time...and there's no middle button either, and scrollwheel (swiping, really) is much much too sensitive for gaming. You'll switch weapons 50 million times by a small drag of your finger in Quake 2. :(

Suggest you pack another mouse, unless you stick to games that don't really need much from your mouse. I guess most casual titles would be fine though, if you don't wanna splurge. Action gaming will be painful though...

Thanks for the warning...I have other mice of course and will take one...though my MBP is a 15" model so I'm not sure where that mouse will go either way :) Maybe nobody will take the middle seat if I'm lucky.

Binding of Isaac, World of Goo, Blocks that Matter, Torchlight, Edge, Psychonauts, WH40k: Dawn of War (the original with expansions), Limbo, Nyxquest...

Nothing better than a good book ;) !

my MBP is a 15" model so I'm not sure where that mouse will go either way :) Maybe nobody will take the middle seat if I'm lucky.
Hah! Now that you've said this, of course the middle seat will be taken, and the row on the opposite side of the aisle will have middle seat unoccupied! ;) (This phenomenon is known as "LOAJ" in Sweden (acronym), I don't think there's a straight equivalent in English, although Murphy's Law is somewhat similar.)

You could always try to get hold of a Phantom Lapboard...if any were ever produced, I dunno. It was said they were pretty effective by those who tested them, but the company was not. 50 million or something in venture capital and all they came up with was a glorified mousepad. Jeez.

Thanks for the warning...I have other mice of course and will take one...though my MBP is a 15" model so I'm not sure where that mouse will go either way :) Maybe nobody will take the middle seat if I'm lucky.

You could always load up on independant style games that support an X360 controller. Hmmm, though I suppose that might be problematic if you are running MacOS.

But things like Cave Story+, Shank, Basion, etc. all support the X360 controller. Although I suppose charging the controller while on a plane might be problematic as mine at least will only charge when plugged into the X360 and not when plugged into my computer.

Regards,
SB

Is the only way to use wireless 360 pads on a PC still by using that ugly-ass huge corded puck-like thingy MS sold a couple years back? I've not seen it available in stores for ages. I wish they'd just make a tiny USB dongle like cordless mice have these days.

Back