Getting a lot of 500 errors lately

Every post is a 500 now. If you want any help give me a shout. I manage a mail server, four virtual machines and three rack jobbies for work. And I do everything!

I've got a better idea what's going on here (DNS resolver problems from my upstream DNS provider). I'm going to switch to Google for a while and see if that helps, while my upstream fixes their issues.

Apologies for the problems, I really should get together a little sysadmin cabal that can help me out so we can respond quicker to things like this.

While working on the DNS issue, I noticed that from time-to-time the database process chews up loads of memory, sits there dead for a while before the OOM killer kicks in, and that also blocks the app server as well because it's trying to read from it. I *think* that's the cause of the 500 errors.

So I've given both the app and database servers a bit more memory (4x more in the database server case), tuned the caches to suit and I've got logging warning me when we get close to the OOM states for both database and app server, just in case.

We migrate to new forum software in a month or so, so hopefully I can fix these memory related things before that.

Or maybe just take it easy and not waste too much time trying to solve relatively benign, non-destructive issues on software that's about to get thrown out in a months' time anyway...? :)

Well, the new software still needs to use the database, so figuring that out is still valuable. But yeah, happy to just throw more memory at it for the time being.

Still getting 500 errors almost every time I post, though the post does go through.

This one was just fine though *shrug*

The weird thing is I haven't ever seen one of these errors myself.

Still getting errors, I'd say 50%, on posts from OSX and on Forum Runner from iOS.
They posts always go through though.

500 errors are gone for me, both iOS forum runner and OSX. The DNS issue is also gone: forum.beyond3d.com is a know URL again.

I guess I get to add "sysadmin" to my CV at this point.

Just tried to go to the site and got Internal Server Error every time, from Chrome and Firefox. Then not even a minute later it started working. It may have only been down for 30 seconds for all I know and I'm not bothered, just posting FYI.

At first I though my ISP had been taken over by ninja squirrels, but alas every other site was working fine.

Back