Get Windows Cheaper If you Pirate It, say Microsoft

Diplo

Veteran
Microsoft has stepped up its fight against software piracy by requiring users to verify their copies of the Windows operating system.

Anyone downloading updates for Windows XP will be required to check that their operating system is genuine.

Customers who discover that their copy of Windows is pirated have two options.

They can get a free version of Windows if they fill out a counterfeit report identifying the source of the software, providing proof of purchase and returning the counterfeit CD.

If they are unable to provide all the information, filling out a report will entitle them to receive a copy of Windows XP Home Edition for the reduced price of £56 or Windows XP Professional Edition for £86 - BBC
Can anybody see a problem with this? :?

hmmmm will they bother with windows 2K :D

other than that... ummm it is a nice gesture to get people pick up legit versions... somehow I doubt people will exploit this too much as who has an win XP version has it and those who have not, well they can get on the legal bandwagon a little easier.

It makes MSFT look nice
hypocrite.gif

Diplo said:
Microsoft has stepped up its fight against software piracy by requiring users to verify their copies of the Windows operating system.

Anyone downloading updates for Windows XP will be required to check that their operating system is genuine.

Customers who discover that their copy of Windows is pirated have two options.

They can get a free version of Windows if they fill out a counterfeit report identifying the source of the software, providing proof of purchase and returning the counterfeit CD.

If they are unable to provide all the information, filling out a report will entitle them to receive a copy of Windows XP Home Edition for the reduced price of £56 or Windows XP Professional Edition for £86 - BBC

hehe... those that pay full price turn out to be morons? :LOL:

If Microsoft really want to cut down on pirate versions of it's software it should price them accordingly.

K.I.L.E.R said:
If Microsoft really want to cut down on pirate versions of it's software it should price them accordingly.

heh... according to what?

salaries in US or China?..one way its too expansive, other way its too cheap.

silence said:
K.I.L.E.R said:

heh... according to what?

salaries in US or China?..one way its too expansive, other way its too cheap.

Well, Apple charges $150 for OSX which is just as good if not better then the $300 XP Pro.

Then there's the $500 Office, but that's for another discussion. :rolleyes:

Diplo said:

So, you get a free copy if you tell them who gave the illegal one to you? I install many identical Ghost images on many computers, although I buy a license and put the sticker (which has a different product key, of course) on the outside of the case, just like Microsoft requires. Can I expect a lawsuit, because the people who bought it think I used an illegal version? And I'm pretty sure it turns out I have to supply proof that all of it was legit, because Microsoft already has all the proof they need, as people testified it was me...

Would they bother to check the computer cases? Or is it illegal anyway, because I didn't use the proper product key? It is in Germany. In that case, you get convicted not because you didn't pay, but because you didn't exactly follow Microsoft's procedure.

Of course, it is rather bothersome to have to do things like actually physically checking things, of course. And if they can get the judges at their side, they don't have to. So they charge more for a number of Enterprise licenses in Germany than for separate, full versions.

Just have everyone pay a mandatory Microsoft tax by law and be done with it.

Did you know that it was more or less illegal to sell a computer without a Microsoft Windows licence for private use for a while around here? That was considered forcing people to commit crimes (ie. installing a copy of Windows they didn't buy). Happily, we have Linux nowadays!

And yes, I do buy legit copies of everything I sell. But things like that just irritate me no end.

Everyone wants a free Windows and Office for private use. And the big guys can do something like that, as they get those almost for free, but everyone else has to ask a whole lot more or sell it without. Which is why it's pretty hard to compete against them and stay legit.

I always install OpenOffice, AVG, Firefox and all that, but most people demand the things they know and use at their job for private use as well, but they don't want to pay for it, of course. As it would more than double the price of those computers.

If the choice really was between shelling out hundreds of bucks for Windows and Office or using Linux and OpenOffice, it would be really simple. But there are many ways to get an illegal copy of Office and Windows, and lots of people who sell you a computer with that and more for free. They think they have to, to compete with the likes of Dell. And I have to agree, it's quite hard if you don't.

Dave Glue said:
silence said:
ANova said:
Then there's the $500 Office, but that's for another discussion. :rolleyes:

*cough*Open Office*cough*...... problem solved....
Or Office Basic, for under $200 usually.

why spending $200 on some cut down version when Open Office can do all of it for free?

truth is that most people wont use 90% of options in any office suit.... and thats why Open Office is perfect. it does what most people need and it doesnt cost a penny... and you can still export to M$ file types if you need to send to someone who has M$ Office only....

have you tried Open Office? i am using beta of OO 2.0 and i can tell you its really great piece of software and i really dont lack a single option in it... i even found some things i like in it that are better done then in M$...

Back