Gamecube 2 (N5) specs in May at E3 ??

http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/01/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/

Changes loom at Nintendo

New handheld to get a different name, next-generation details could be just six weeks away
April 2, 2004: 11:25 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) – As Nintendo looks to its future, it's also looking to its past. And it's hoping to find profit in both.

The future is more exciting, of course. In just under six weeks, the company will take the wraps off of its latest gaming machine – currently referred to as the Nintendo DS. Among the revelations it has in store are the release date for the system, the suggested retail price – and the final name.

Though the company has publicly referred to the system as the DS since announcing it on Jan. 20, the plan was never to use that name at retail, according to Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo's executive vice president of sales and marketing. (The GameCube, similarly, went under the public codename "Dolphin" until shortly before its launch.)

Internet rumors have suggested that system will be called "Nitro," but the company has not commented on this.

Nintendo will unveil the DS – or Nitro or whatever it's being called – at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (the gaming industry's annual trade show) in May, as well as set the release date and initial price. So far, Nintendo has said the system will launch this fall, but Fils-Aime hedged a bit when I asked him if he could confirm a 2004 release in North America. ("As we're sitting here, that's the plan," was all he would say.)

It figures. Right before they change the name, we finally get a logo for the Nintendo DS from the company.
A North American delay wouldn't be fatal, but it would eliminate Nintendo's headstart against Sony's PSP, which recently delayed its North American launch until early 2005.

The new system will represent a departure for the company, in that the DS/Nitro will likely do much more than play games. A two-hour movie has been successfully tested on the device and wireless gaming and Instant Messaging capabilities are also expected to be included.

Perhaps as part of this departure from its norm, Nintendo is targeting a slightly different audience for the DS/Nitro. Fils-Aime said the company is trying to attract "early adopters who are looking for more complex gameplay and the gamer who has a little more money to spend."

When it was first announced, the DS/Nitro was met with resounding skepticism by gamers. While that has tempered somewhat as details about the machine have leaked out, there's still a sense of wariness. Fils-Aime said he understands the hesitancy.

"The gamer needs to see it, to see the games, to see the full functionality of the machine. ... That's why we're reticent to give details until we can show it," he said. "If I was a gamer and I only saw bits and pieces of a platform, I'd be skeptical too."

Handhelds won't be the only focus of Nintendo at E3. The company also plans to discuss its next generation home console (which will compete with Sony's (SNE: Research, Estimates) PlayStation 3 and Microsoft's (MSFT: Research, Estimates) Xbox 2), said Fils-Aime. It remains unclear whether that discussion will simply be a reiteration that work is progressing and on schedule or if Nintendo will reveal specs for the new machine (which is expected to see a 2006 release).

"Comment on this will come from the highest levels," said Fils-Aime. "The focus and commitment we have on this will be shown at E3."

While talk of future platforms is certain to get the most attention, Nintendo is also flexing the muscle of its deep catalog to keep the bottom line healthy. In addition to offering updates to classic titles for the GameCube ("Paper Mario Story" will be released in October, "Metroid Prime 2" hits streets in November and "Mario Tennis" is due in December), Nintendo has unveiled a "classic" line of titles for Game Boy Advance owners.

Starting next month, the company will release GBA versions of eight of the biggest games for the Nintendo Entertainment System, the company's first home console system, released in 1985. Games like "Excitebike," "Donkey Kong" and "Super Mario Bros." will be released individually for $20.

Twenty dollars is a hefty price for a 20-year old game, but consumers haven't seemed to care much so far. In Japan, where the classic GBA games were released several months ago, the company sold 900,000 copies in just four weeks.

Fils-Aime said the company is already planning a second wave of classic games for the GBA, with a possible launch date of the 2004 holiday season.

Make no mistake, Nintendo has a lot of catching up to do in this generation of machines and it faces an uphill battle in the coming battles. But in branching out, taking some risks and finding new ways to utilize its game catalog, the company's finally showing some signs that it may have learned from its mistakes.

well, I expect not much more than a 'Dolphin E3 1999' type announcement. maybe we'll get vauge info on hardware partners, process technology, and perhaps clockspeeds.

(which will likely change when the hardware is finalized.)

E3 2004 is still over two years before the release of Nintendo's next console.

We're going to be unwrapping minute "levels of vague" for probably the next year or so. :p All the players are holding their cards very close to their chests right now.

I'm not suprised this thread is very small, the news isn't negative enough. If the thread was called Nintendo will not be making any announcements about their Next-gen console, the thread would be on its 3rd page.

<laughs> How dare you insinuate such a thing, you ninny?!!

Offhand, I think "the thing" is that we've all been expecting to hear from everyone's next generation at E3 (excepting some folk who think that despite all efforts one party is dropping out for sure, but we take pains to avoid said folk), so what amounts to a pseudo-confirmation won't get much of a response.

If it said something like "WE WILL TELL YOU SPECS, DAMMIT" you'd have a lot more people in here saying "holy shit!" and "yesssss!" and speculating on just what specs those would be. ;)

well if you wanna make it a big thread, change the title to Nintendo leaks specs and bashes sony/ms with internal document. Those are usually good for 10 pages +.

Ooh-videogames said:
I'm not suprised this thread is very small, the news isn't negative enough. If the thread was called Nintendo will not be making any announcements about their Next-gen console, the thread would be on its 3rd page.

No that only works with getting the sony fans out of the wood work. Sometimes it will work for the ms fans

This board is split up with about

70% sony fans , 20% ms fans and 10% nintendo fans . So if something negative is posted about sony you can bet alot of replys will follow

People have knee-jerk reactions to the platforms they tend to prefer. Post something negative about Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Dreamcast... The usual folk step up to the plate. ;)

It's mainly the "how" that makes the difference, though. Sock Monkeys like Deadmeat are about as far gone as one can to the lunatic fringe, so his usual target (Sony) gets people especially riled up. The last time he was monkeying in on Nintendo threads, however, they caught a whiff of what it was like and thinks looked very much like the "Sony thread(TM)" everyone complains about.

The key--in any thread--is to make it NOT "about the negative."

I would really like to see Nintendo bundling reasonable size screens with their N5. Like three 19"-23" screens. Than the consoles can have four GPUs to drive the 3 screens and a TV set. It doesn't have to be the most powerful GPUs or CPUs, but good enough, that difference is pretty mute.

Then you can have surround gaming, better multiplayer experience, easy storage, personal gaming, etc. It'll be really good. Not aiming for living room, but a highly customised personal gaming system instead of a home server.

The only problem is cost, but IMO the idea will take off if they can get it down to $299, maybe take some loss.

jvd said:
Ooh-videogames said:

No that only works with getting the sony fans out of the wood work. Sometimes it will work for the ms fans

This board is split up with about

70% sony fans , 20% ms fans and 10% nintendo fans . So if something negative is posted about sony you can bet alot of replys will follow

0% for neutral ?

Anyway, I will want to play more games on my Cube than seeing a new one coming that soon, I haven't had enough games on my Cube.

Well ATi announced minimally that both the N5 & X2 will support full DX9 spec. functionality. (which most of today's high end PC games only support a fraction of the feature set, Doom 3, HL2, STALKER, etc.) DX10 by launchtime, or perhaps a mixture of both. I expect power & efficiency, Open GL 2.0 is a given, dual-cores, a more custom GPU than MS, (custom does not necessarily equate to power) & a sleek design. (the SP for ex.)

Back