Game Trailer Roundtable with industry figures *

Perhaps another way to look at this. If you are the first to change and adapt, then you are seen as innovative and paving the way. It's only when you are slow and resistant to change, that you end up 'copying'.
That reminds me of what Apple executives bragged about at the recent WWDC.
images816092.jpg

Perhaps another way to look at this. If you are the first to change and adapt, then you are seen as innovative and paving the way. It's only when you are slow and resistant to change, that you end up 'copying'.

Adaptation requires external stimulus..it is the response to something else. And we've seen charges of 'copying' even when there's been nothing slow or hesitant about it.

Hardware comes before software. You can't build great next-gen games without great next-gen hardware. Any suggestion that Sony should have focussed less on hardware and more on software is silly, IMO. They will be building their software services throughout the generation. The online service you get at launch will not be what you have in 5 years time. Hardware on the other hand, is set in stone on day one.

Sony have delivered the hardware, and now it's up to them to deliver the software. Granted I think they should have started building their online service earlier, but in a year's time I think it will be a much more integrated and fully-featured service.
part of hardware design is to keep it affordable, for the developer and the consumer. i think they didn't spend enough time concentrating on what the hardware needs of a "next generation" console are, and just threw together a box that could win a spec battle against microsoft without consideration for cost. and threw in blu-ray because of corperate pressures.

i think a smarter approach would have been to have the PS3 priced $100 cheaper and require a $100 add-on for blu-ray playback. that way you'd still get the storage advantage against microsoft, and you could recoup the losses of including the drive while keeping a competative price.

That reminds me of what Apple executives bragged about at the recent WWDC.
images816092.jpg
man i love apple. i remember steve jobs bragging that they released 4 OS's in the time since microsoft released XP, and the crowd loved it. "Yeah, we paid $100 five times!"

Personally, i rather get one OS every 10 years, pay for that once and bitch about how crap it is till the next one comes, instead of paying for a new one every 2 years, and still bitch about how crap it is.

as long as we can bitch right... :cool: .
they kind of said the ps3 is more powerfull so the x-fans can start bitchin also

I meant that Sony is focused on making money on hardware because of trying to make Bluray and Cell popular. The interviewees said that they believed software services like xbox LIVE or marketplace are going to become more important then disk sales because you get what you want instantly instead of having to buy or pre-order it at the stores.

It's an interesting look into the mindset of people inside the industry,but I would hardly call it repsentative. I would prefer to see a bigger more varied roundtable.

The interviewees said that they believed software services like xbox LIVE or marketplace are going to become more important then disk sales because you get what you want instantly instead of having to buy or pre-order it at the stores.

Which is why I thought it was funny they did not mention the playstation store at all. They talked about flOw but not the store specifically.

Which is why I thought it was funny they did not mention the playstation store at all. They talked about flOw but not the store specifically.

good point but we (and maybe they) know more about Live than PSN at this point.

Also, I still say those that want to make PSN seem the equal of 360 XBL need to wait until it's out and then actually have been on 360 Live to know the difference.

I'll wait for the reviews of those that have experienced and appreciate how well 360 XBL works and then try the PSN to tell me how they compare irl.

Since I won't have a PS3 until late 2007 or later.

Well I know that we must wait to see how it compares (as I said earlier in the thread), but I'm specifically talking about the digital downloads issue they were talking about. They mentioned that the marketplace has an advantage, and completely avoided talking about the playstation store (well maybe not avoided but you get what I mean, can't think of the word lol), which Is why I think it may have been filmed before gamers day. I understand the taking of account that the marketplace is already "there" and established, and that it will depend on how often Sony updates and puts new content on the Playstation Store, prices, and etc., but I just felt it was odd that they didnt mention it at all as if Sony has not thought about it. The only conclusion I can come to is that, is that they were not informed about Sony's plan, and the store itself.

part of hardware design is to keep it affordable, for the developer and the consumer. i think they didn't spend enough time concentrating on what the hardware needs of a "next generation" console are, and just threw together a box that could win a spec battle against microsoft without consideration for cost.
Lose the BRD and PS3 is price comparable with XB360. I don't see how that's not considering what a next gen console needs to be. I can see an argument that BRD was just for the movies, but again we have plenty of people also saying it's useful and valued, so we can't even be sure next-gen doesn't benefit from BRD either. Even if BRD is excessive, the rest of the system seems good. What else have Sony done wrong to produce hardware that doesn't meet the needs of a next-gen console?

Nice conversations, but what the hell are they babbling about in regards to Plasma screens and Blu-Ray and HDMI near the end of Part 1? They all seem to be talking about different points simultaneously and not really making much sense on many of them. (Like Rubin's talking about people who've already picked up their plasma screens/etc without HDMI and insinuating they will get "burned" specifically by the PS3/Blu-Ray as opposed to perhaps getting burned by any of the HD DVD options sometime in 2011 or 2012 or whenever if the industry doesn't backpedal from its' current stance on the broadcast flag. When your early-gen plasma screen has probably crapped out on you anyway. ;) )

They seem to want to automatically add the cost of a really expensive TV/monitor to the mix when comparing prices, too. I suppose for the 360 as well, though I don't see that as having slowed down sales much, eh?

At any rate, I'm liking the "factoids" off to the side as well. It's always nice to get more context and information without interrupting the flow of anything.

Bad_Boy, I think Jason Rubin is impressing upon Sony that they need to act faster/do better than they are right now since the online component is not out yet. In his opinion, he believes PNP should be out in PS2 era. I also think that he's not just talking about online gaming, but every software common services on top of the OS kernel (e.g., UI, local network services). I don't know how Sony is organized internally for these efforts.

At this moment, the PS3 is not even launched yet. So the general public will not get to see PNP until after that (Afterall, there are registration and community services in XMB itself). Also PSP Portable TV already offers Japanese clips-on-demand services since firmware 2.7 (or earlier ?).

But in order to truly lead in this area, Sony will want to *leapfrog* MS (in specific areas) and maintain worldclass service quality (release cycles, stability, features, usability, R&D, etc.).

To be fair to Sony, I think they know that already, but things take time to happen. By their admission in one of the interviews, the Sony management also realized that software takes longer (than hardware) and a different approach to build up.

In the mean time, we can search for one's posts to catch a glimpse of some of Sony's next-gen online effort (e.g., the game streaming project, the LocationFree concept, the 4D world, Cell network, DLNA, video conferencing, PS3-PSP integration, GTHD per-car/per-track downloads, etc. ...).

To put things in perspective, we are still in early adopter phase... Sony has some time to build up its base and differentiate. Even for MS, there are still much to learn and do beyond LIVE operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy, I think Jason Rubin is impressing upon Sony that they need to act faster/do better than they are right now since the online component is not out yet.
Kinda hard for the online to be out, without the system itself as you said.

In his opinion, he believes PNP should be out in PS2 era. I also think that he's not just talking about online gaming, but every software common services on top of the OS kernel (e.g., UI, local network services). I don't know how Sony is organized internally for these effort.
I agree that Sony should of had more on the online component in the PS2 era, but as of now theres not much we can do about that now. But I dont think it should be any huge stigma on what they do with the PS3. I'm not 100% sure, but from my understanding Jason isnt developing any 360/PS3 titles, but instead working on a comic book that may or may not become a game one day. I dont know how much that means on his information on the current development of the system, so I'm not even going to guess at it.

My point is simply that they did not mention it, as if it did not exhist and Sony had no plan. And it just seemed odd that they wouldnt when trying to bulletpoint the marketplace advantages. As I said I can only come up with one conclusion from that, is that they were not informed about it possibly because it was filmed at an earlier date than when the information was given out. Which would be understandable if that is the case.

As for the other stuff, I completely agree that we will have to wait and see how Sony's plan is actually executed and compares to the competition. I just thought it was odd they did not mention Sony's plan.

Thats all. :) (hope that made sense, kinda tired so sorry if it came out the wrong way)

Lose the BRD and PS3 is price comparable with XB360. I don't see how that's not considering what a next gen console needs to be. I can see an argument that BRD was just for the movies, but again we have plenty of people also saying it's useful and valued, so we can't even be sure next-gen doesn't benefit from BRD either. Even if BRD is excessive, the rest of the system seems good. What else have Sony done wrong to produce hardware that doesn't meet the needs of a next-gen console?

that's not what i'm saying. i'm saying they overshot the mass market price bracket by trying to stuff too much in the box. the performace is there, for sure, but it doesn't look to be substancialy better than what XB360 has to offer (if any, as the case may be). it doesn't even look like the difference we had with XB and PS2. but the price difference is staggering this time around.

I thought that rubin guy was an idiot, I mean, what fool would complain about hdtv when he was stupid enough to go out and buy 3 plasmas that were SD? Everyone has pretty much known from the start that LCD and Plasma resolution would only improve yet he goes and gets THREE then complains :rolleyes:

I don't think he knew what he was on about really, and he sure loved the sound of his own voice, hardly gave the other two (who actually talked much more sense) a chance to speak!

It's a shame they didn't edit him completely out of it - I don't hold his opinions in any regard and the other two seemed much more level-headed and knowledgable about the industry and current climate.

I thought that rubin guy was an idiot, I mean, what fool would complain about hdtv when he was stupid enough to go out and buy 3 plasmas that were SD? Everyone has pretty much known from the start that LCD and Plasma resolution would only improve yet he goes and gets THREE then complains :rolleyes:

They came installed in the house he didn't go out and buy anything :rolleyes:

Well I'm prepared to receive the punchs but here is a thing I noticed : In his attemp to sound as impartial as possible, creating his distance with his "older" associates, Rubin seems a bit harsh on the PS3...It just sounded a bit theatrical.
Now, I tend to agree with what has been said in general, except that I prefered Jason gave his opinion on the usefulness of BR in gaming process (He talked about DVD and such...).

I don't think he knew what he was on about really, and he sure loved the sound of his own voice, hardly gave the other two (who actually talked much more sense) a chance to speak!

It's a shame they didn't edit him completely out of it - I don't hold his opinions in any regard and the other two seemed much more level-headed and knowledgable about the industry and current climate.

Actually i think Rubin, having been involved with Sony since Crash Bandicoot is the most qualified to speak on certain issues. He's been in the game a long time and he knows how Sony works. All of those guys made very valid points but i thought on the basis of his being in the industry a long time makes what he says all the more interesting.

Back