Gamasutra GameDev Breakdown of Microsoft Xbox Scorpio [2017: 04-12, 04-14, 04-17]

Sorry, don't understand the question?

Just wanting to make sure we talk about the same podcast I consider awful and not just some other podcast regurgitating their published article itself:)

I was talking about articles and podcast. They didn't have much development related things to discuss and it seems it's because they didn't make good use of the access they were given.

I'm sure we all expected more from the article itself but the lack of development/technical details wasn't really my issue.

My issue was the vibe of this discussion podcast where they discussed Scorpio from a subjective PC gamer/"dev?" perceived reality which looked to me as if they have no real interest into consoles nor saw any point in them in relation to MS at least.

I'm sure we all expected more from the article itself but the lack of development/technical details wasn't really my issue.

My issue was the vibe of this discussion podcast where they discussed Scorpio from a subjective PC gamer/"dev?" perceived reality which looked to me as if they have no real interest into consoles nor saw any point in them in relation to MS at least.
Ok understand now :smile2:

I see the podcast as secondary, a group of them getting together to discuss the trip/article. I think the podcast was very poor, as you do.
But if the article and trip had better details then he could've talked about them. As it was he couldn't answer any questions, lead the discussion or anything, which left the obviously pc focused guy to whinge and moan about the things he wanted to, which just dragged it down even more.

I watched it at about 2am, and it nearly gave me nightmares :runaway:

Ok understand now :smile2:

I see the podcast as secondary, a group of them getting together to discuss the trip/article. I think the podcast was very poor, as you do.
But if the article and trip had better details then he could've talked about them. As it was he couldn't answer any questions, lead the discussion or anything, which left the obviously pc focused guy to whinge and moan about the things he wanted to, which just dragged it down even more.

I watched it at about 2am, and it nearly gave me nightmares :runaway:

Well - the reporter should be fired based on his comments about lack of preparedness. I thought the Q&A was great for business / strategy discussion, but it did seem really light on developer relevant items. I bet that the unread email detailed what MS wanted to share with him and he was obviously woefully underprepared.

let's hope there's a follow up article that actually containes some coalition content.
article read like intro, first paragraph to actual article.

There's a LOT of good information there that potentially relates to Xbox not just being another Windows device with a console UI, but a Windows devices that is specifically engineered to accelerate Dx12 rendering in a way that PCs cannot due to generalized hardware versus built to purpose specialized hardware (when combined with the previous Digital Foundry articles).

It also speaks towards game development focused on scalable graphics and scalable engines which can handle a variety of different hardware configurations. IMO, this speaks towards a high likelihood of a rolling generations style of console hardware design rather than hard generational breaks.

In other words, you design your game to the highest hardware spec available at any given moment (PC was used as the example highest hardware spec) and then you make sure that the engine is scalable down from there. So all of your assets are authored for the highest hardware specification.

If we combine this with the previous articles from Digital Foundry, especially the one about heavy profiling of games to determine the final hardware specifications as well as to determine what customizations would be used for the CPU and GPU, I get the feeling that for Microsoft generational console changes will revolve around taking titles that pushes the hardware in ways that would make a current console less efficient than when how it was at the start of the generation (IE - new rendering techniques coming into use) and massively profiling them to ensure that the newest generation of console will be able to handle those games better and more efficiently (beyond just an overall hardware power increase) than the current console. This would include things like developers using new hardware capabilities either on PC or competing consoles and seeing about incorporating those into the specialized console hardware.

In other words. PC hardware (CPU/GPU) will once again become the proving grounds for what is possible for a future console by developing first on PC and using new GPU features. Then you scale those back to what the Xbox console can handle. Then you profile the PC version of that game with the new GPU features to determine the CPU/GPU features of next generation of console.

It may not play out like that. But that's the feeling I get from reading about how Turn 10 and The Coalition (and thus Microsoft) approached developing games in preparation of Project Scorpio. Then combining that with how Project Scorpio is designed around accelerating the rendering of Dx12 in ways that a PC cannot or currently does not (for example, moving Dx12 draw calls into the command processor of the GPU as much as possible) as well as specific hardware changes to the GPU in order to target game rendering versus general Windows graphics rendering which those GPUs are designed for.

TL: DR - Microsoft may move towards targeting the most powerful hardware on PC for game development. Then you scale that down to whatever the current Xbox console is at the time for the console version. Then, hypothetically, for a new generation you heavily profile those first party games running on the highest spec PC version to determine the hardware configuration of the next "generation" of console. They'd also want to profile 3rd party games running on console and PC if they are different, IE not UWP games.

It'd be taking the reverse approach to how current PC development supports lower hardware tiers. IE - instead of targeting the older hardware and scaling up, you target the highest hardware and scale down.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I know you said in conjunction with other articles, but everything said in this article has already been said.
I will say I'm still grateful for article, just hope they have follow up with actually new information.

imho, it adds a lot, and it is my favourite non technical article about Scorpio to date.

Gamasutra mentions the future of Xbox and what it is going to become as a brand, which I agree with.
still don’t fully get what makes the Scorpio so essential that you either upgrade your current console for it or you purchase a new Xbox to add to your electronic devices collection. I don’t know what it is about Scorpio that entices devs to make unique experiences for the platform. I don’t know what it will do to help older Microsoft franchises really stick the landing and become “must-have” again. I don’t know why I wouldn’t just dig out my current Xbox to play Cuphead, or even more ironically, just play a Windows 10 version of these incoming games that are landing on both Xbox One and PC simultaneously.
Well…I would know why I’d do it. The Windows 10 Store is terrible to use.
I really only see two possible futures. The one Xbox wants is for Scorpio to reinvigorate the Xbox marketplace and for people to adopt it as the “default Xbox,” staving off a hard generational reset and eventually reaching a point where 70% of Xbox owners are on Scorpio, so they can make Scorpio the minimum spec instead of the maximum, and it can prepare another soft-advance. (Similar to how most PC game developers deal with graphics card updates.)
My preferred future for Scorpio, just in case it happens.
The one I see as being…closer to reality, is that Scorpio launches, it does fine, but it doesn’t become the mass-adopted device for console gamers. It’s just a 4th console to own, 5th if you count the Switch in the category of Xbox and PlayStation. But if it can’t keep up with PlayStation’s sales, and still doesn’t have a library of must-have games that attract players, I can see Microsoft looking at this PC-like advancement and wondering if it isn’t time for Xbox to just become the brand name for a set of gaming PCs that sit under your TV.

And I see this as more likely because I don’t buy that 4K or HDR TV sales will move consoles the way that HD consoles moved with new HDTVs, something Spencer discussed. The only thing I’d see staving off the second future and leaning into the first is a really, really good slate of games that are must-have on Scorpio.

Back