Gamasutra GameDev Breakdown of Microsoft Xbox Scorpio [2017: 04-12, 04-14, 04-17]

Disappointing article with regards to specs.
It does reiterate that it will be multiple devs are getting X1 games running on Scorpio quickly.
Not entirely a bust:

We finally have clarification from Phil what he means by generations:
So when we thought about our tools, I said okay, games are going to live longer than we're used to them living on our platform. Which means from the service capability and monetization standpoint, we've got to go build tools so that they can continue to give content and services and other things to the customers. Seeing games like Destiny get born this generation makes a ton of sense.

But also these games are going to probably start to span generations. You know if you think about like, Destiny 2 is coming this year -- I pick Destiny because I think I have 600 hours into the game. But you know, Destiny 2's gonna be one of these games that I expect five, six, seven years from now, people are still going to be playing that game. It's going to be a little bit like WoW. Which you know, whatever its been, 10 years later, 15 years later, millions of people play the game.

So from a development platform, we needed to think about our hardware as multi-generational. Because we said 'Okay, there's gonna be games that are going to live multiple generations. And our software platform really has to service a developer's need to service an ongoing set of users.' As much as it has to serve, you know, how do I get a disc done. And just kind of burned, and go on to go do my next thing. So these two things kind of working on conjunction, which is why you see us doing things like Beam. Because Beam's a great way, if you're a socially led game, to go and share your game to a ton of people who are maybe thinking about buying it, but haven't made a decision yet.

Waste of time. Even the Q&A was shit, just empty stretched out answers to the typical pre-approved PR questions. Made me want to poke my eyes out with a fork.

We need leaks.

Maybe from a technical perspective. But from a business perspective I thought the Q&A was pretty insightful.

The dev kit looks like an Xbox One S at the same size/volume of a original Xbox One. Also looks like it's mirrored compared to the Scorpio renders considering the disc drive is on the left.

Still two major questions remain unanswered:
1. What hardware does it have to help checkerboard
2. Does it have double rate FP16

How difficult is it for journalists to ask real questions?

i remember having a discussion on here, I was saying that devs may choose to develop for Scorpio and optimize down to x1, they was adamant that no dev would ever do that.

it seems ms wants that to be the route, can't remember specific wording, but easier to optimize down, hence such a beefy dev kit.
maybe its more so, that get more out of all systems, than it being easier.
but those are some seriously beefy kits, in comparison to retail units.

i remember having a discussion on here, I was saying that devs may choose to develop for Scorpio and optimize down to x1, they was adamant that no dev would ever do that.

it seems ms wants that to be the route, can't remember specific wording, but easier to optimize down, hence such a beefy dev kit.
maybe its more so, that get more out of all systems, than it being easier.
but those are some seriously beefy kits, in comparison to retail units.

Pretty sure dev kits are always more powerful than retail...don't think this is something new. Devs will using both using an Xbox One dev Kit and Scoprio dev kit and optimizing down to each retail configuration.

Pretty sure dev kits are always more powerful than retail...don't think this is something new. Devs will using both using an Xbox One dev Kit and Scoprio dev kit and optimizing down to each retail configuration.
more powerful yes, but that's fair bit more, add what was said onto that also.

guess that must be the true max of the cpu, as that's the same speed as retail

more powerful yes, but that's fair bit more, add what was said onto that also.

guess that must be the true max of the cpu, as that's the same speed as retail

I always heard that the specs of a dev kit were roughly double that of the retail...

Back