GAF implodes after owner Evilore is accused of sexual assault

I signed up for the hell of it, but I'm curious how they manually approve accounts. How do they decide to accept or decline members? Seems kind of odd...

GAF always did the same? And I always wondered the same.

Like everything else, arbitrary I guess. If whoever was approving your account didn't like your username, or maybe your email address name, declined! Or whatever. Only thing I can figure.

GAF always did the same? And I always wondered the same.

Like everything else, arbitrary I guess. If whoever was approving your account didn't like your username, or maybe your email address name, declined! Or whatever. Only thing I can figure.

I used the same email and username I last tried at GAF (and was deleted/not accepted after what felt like 1 year of waiting) and they approved on Resetera in 10 minutes;

I used the same email and username I last tried at GAF (and was deleted/not accepted after what felt like 1 year of waiting) and they approved on Resetera in 10 minutes;
I think I also tried to register at GAF several years ago with the same email and was declined. I also got accepted a few hours after registering at Resetera.

I presume an ISP given email, as that can be banned and keep you out of the forums more typically. Freely created email like Outlook or GMail are very easily spammable.

I think it depends on the ISP. In the UK, most BT plans let you have up to five email addresses which you change at any time. So while it's paid, it's still open to abuse.

I got accepted at ResetEra. As with any forum, stay out of topics that might get you too emotionally invested.

The reason they do a manual approval is to build up a database over time and look for patterns from repeat offenders coming in via different means. So in the beginning, I'd imagine everyone will get in.

One good thing they've done is get rid of the "junior" status which created an immediate dismissal culture in neogaf. That's a great move.

I got accepted at ResetEra. As with any forum, stay out of topics that might get you too emotionally invested.

I registered a few hours back and the membership rate is through the roof. Yesterday evening, before open registrations began, resetera membership was 9k, now it's 17k.

Frankly I don't know how they've keeping up, but I think you're right. They're probably giving the new restraints the benefit of the doubt. I can't fathom how GAF used to work, I got accepted really quickly but some people I know waited months.

It's just a tongue in cheek comment. If GAF was pro-Sony, and we have new fora from the defectors, you'd imagine they'd be pro-MS. That's typically what happens when you have a schism - two opposing sides are born. But of course any of these could be a good, broad forum.
What ? This makes no sense whatsoever, neogaf didn’t implode because it was pro-Sony. This ResetEra thing reminds more of the gaming age forum , old neogaf that is, around 2002 , being 50-50 between Nintendo and Sony pro. As far as ms goes, it’s exactly the same with neogaf (extremely hostile with tons of run by posts in Xbox related thread covering the same shit about no games blah blah blah) only a bit ...politer than neogaf , which was very in your face when it came to ms hatred.

What ? This makes no sense whatsoever...
According to everything posted here, NeoGAF was a pro Sony mess, with lots of angry members who hated that aspect. The closure of NeoGAF saw the rise of several replacements started by (some of) these disgruntled members. You would expect replacements started by people with different values than those that drove NeoGAF's culture would have a starting culture similar to their founders and the member they attract. How is that nonsensical? That may not be what's happening, but it's certainly a legitimate possibility that new forums spawned as a result of the dislike of the Pro-Sony sentiment at NeoGAF would be more aligned in the opposite direction. In fact I'd find it odd if people didn't react that way as that's usually how things roll. I'd expect more of a pro-MS imbalance where the forum over-compensates for previous pro-Sony bias.

Just looked. On NeoGAF with 100 per page, there are 8 pages of threads with posts in the last 24hrs in Gaming. On ResetERA with 50 per page (I'm not registered) there's 7 in Video Games. ResetERA's numbers are obviously getting a boost from several factors and I expect the number of per-poster posts will drop dramatically when those normalize, but still they have been able to hit the ground running. Seems like an unqualified success so far.

Damn. Activity on NeoGAF has halved since I posted this.

Damn. Activity on NeoGAF has halved since I posted this.
yea. Heh. A lot of content producers and news feeders moved. I would say that GAF will continue to lose population at a rapid rate. The question is what evil lore will do to stem the bleeding. I must imagine he regrets not selling the forum while he still had a chance to do it. Ie. announce a step down. And moderators will take over with a new temp successor while he sells the site to a new owner.

That could have worked. 5th most popular forum in the world. Damn. That's got to be worth a lot.

They really should just take the dark theme of beyond3D dark theme with a touch of purple instead of yellowish...

we have dark theme!? You mean i've spent all this time here and didnt know that??

*EDIT* ...well atleast its seasonably appropriate

5th most popular forum in the world

Err? while Neogaf was really popular in the gaming sphere, somehow I extremely doubt that (and a cursory google about worlds biggest message boards doesn't seem to back it up either, although I cant find anything I would consider proof).

Among general topic gaming forums I cant really think of one (that was?) bigger, except for reddit gaming subforums in general which is much bigger but not the same thing (basically every game and or gaming topic gets it's own reddit, so combined I'm sure they are massive).

Edit: I did find one list that had Neogaf 21st biggest forum. which is still insanely massive. Some other lists I didn't see Neogaf at all.

Even if he didn't sell Evilore must have still stacked up millions in profit over the years.

Last edited:
Back