G4 MX440....what´s up?

Estatic Fear

Newcomer
well...i have a problem..and i don´t know what happened...
this card...Geforce 4 - 64 MB DDR RAM (5 nanoseconds, 128 bits memory bus)..in one day to another...its Ram memory lowed to 32 megas....what happened?..i don´t know...the big trouble is bus memory lowed to 64 bits too....and card performance.... :( ..but card is still working.

i was working on, trying to find the trouble...and i´ve found...nothing :(
who can help me please?...does anybody knows why happened?....

where does it say the memory is 32Mb? on bootup before BIOS where it displays vid card bios or in the driver information?

what driver version are you using?

Kalbaz said:
where does it say the memory is 32Mb? on bootup before BIOS where it displays vid card bios or in the driver information?

what driver version are you using?

well..on startup....as well in windows information....i have tried..many versions of detonators...and in many mainboards....and nothing.

if it reports 32mb on startup then I would say your board either only has 32mb :) or it has a fault and should be replaced.

Could be a bad solder joint - cards with this problem sometimes report only half of the onboard memory as being available. Unless you can actually find the bad solder joint and apply a soldering iron to it, there's not really much you can do other than to replace the card.

ok...i´ll try to find the bad soldering joint...i think is on memory joints...in the back of the card...i´ll verify that....thanks.

well...another one question i have to ...why memory bus lowed to 64 bits?....is not supposed memory architecture is inside gpu?....????

possibly because it can't access the other 32mb therefore memory bus is halved?

The Geforce4 MX chip can, IIRC, support both 64 and 128 bit memory bus setups - presumably, at boot time, it detects how many memory chips are connected and from that chooses a memory bus setup.

knowing that...are there some way to emulate...or do something to try to solve the problem in memory bus?....because the slow down on card´s performance...is mainly debt by lower memory bus....i think

not really because the 128bit memory bus requires access to all the chips. 4x32bit where only 2x32bit chips are available.

I know this sounds crazy but how do I cut one trace on my 8mb tnt2 vanta to make it 4mb for fun? those cards are worthless to me anyway

It could be heat also. I remember my 32MB GF2 reporting as 16MB sometimes when I had a rather hot TV card sitting close to it.

Tbred2GHz:
I don't know if that's possible. Isn't Vantas always 64 bit? I'm not sure it has a 32 bit fallback.

Back