Folklore demo.

I finally got a chance to play the demo. Game is wierd. I am fine with just text and no voiceovers. The sad thing is I like this game. Somehow I think reviewers won't be to kind to this game.

I finally got a chance to play the demo. Game is wierd. I am fine with just text and no voiceovers. The sad thing is I like this game. Somehow I think reviewers won't be to kind to this game.

Yes, I also thought it's a weird game since the first time I played it. I believe it's because the game setting is very familiar to traditional/hard core RPG fans, and yet the combat system is a brand new SIXAXIS mini-game. The latter is an unexpected departure from the conventional hit-and-score, turn-based or time-based mechanics. Nevertheless, I think they have succeeded to weave them together into a fun demo/game.

I was told the real game will have voiced cut-scenes. And only the Asian version will have the theme song from Abington Boys School. :(

I just found a high quality post about Folksoul: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194948

You should try the demo if you haven't already

These should give some inspiration for the Folksoul design comtest above. I'm actually working on one or two myself. ;-)

folkbuga2.jpg

folkbuga3.jpg

A great start

Uh-huh... 9 out of 10 from IGN.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/824/824614p1.html

There are many other aspects of the game worthy of discussion, but we can't cover all of them here. Let's just end our commentary by saying that a great deal of the magnificence in Folklore comes from the little details: the serenity within a field of bristling flowers and cascading petals, or the charm of a stairway that rings with laughter when your character's foot falls upon it - these are just a few of the many moments that may bring an awed smile to your face.

Unfortunately, though the game is very enjoyable to play, the menu load time, framerate, and level repetition issues can detract from the gameplay experience. But we strongly recommend that you don't let these concerns stop you from playing Folklore. This is one of the best titles to hit the PlayStation 3, and its eccentricity and charm are undeniable. Unless you're just a straight adrenaline junkie, don't miss your opportunity to witness the poetry and magic of this ethereal hit.

I predict metacritic score and gameranking score will hover around 75-80. ;)
BTW, Famitsu gave the game a 8/9/8/8.

Folklore @ Gametrailers 7.2

Cons:
-Day world can be slow if you're looking for a pure action adventure.
-Action portions are linear
-Single player is lacking in length and substance
-Brief loading times mar the flow of gameplay when switching between powers
-Poor voice acting
-Bad cut scenes

Final Verdict:
Good, but not as good as other action/adventure games that have already defined perfection (God of War etc.)

Folklore @ Gametrailers 7.2

Cons:
-Day world can be slow if you're looking for a pure action adventure.
-Action portions are linear
-Single player is lacking in length and substance
-Brief loading times mar the flow of gameplay when switching between powers
-Poor voice acting
-Bad cut scenes

Final Verdict:
Good, but not as good as other action/adventure games that have already defined perfection (God of War etc.)

Correct me if i'm wrong but Isn't this game supposed to be an RPG..?

With all the comparisons and references to "action" and "action game" from the Gametrailer's review I can't help but think they reviewed it as if it was something that it isn't..

(it's like reviewing Halo 3 as "a driving game where you can get out and shoot things and fly things and more.."... Obviously not going to be much of driving game and thus i would imagine wouldn't reflect very well in the scores..

I think it's quite a shift from the traditional action game such that direct comparisons aren't really fair. That is, if you're interested in Folklore, that doesn't mean you'd also be interested in GOW and it's competing in the same space. I imagine it is a love-it-or-hate-it type game, because it's doing things differently and that often polarizes responses. You know, how would reviewers rate Marmite? You couldn't gather squat from those! I think that's where Famitsu is pretty good, as it provides four different perspectives. Folklore looks like an interesting title that people it resonates with will get a real kick out of.

The review doesn't sound so bad :) and helps to adjust my expectation down. I think the corridor style game environment, camera handling and load time will affect the experiences.

I like the game for its originality and art, but am a little surprised it's part RPG and part action/adventure. Don't know what to make of it yet... it's a weird little game. Will have to see how well the genra gel together here.

Thank God it's not God of War ! I won't buy it if it's a mediocre GoW knock-off.

No kidding. Guess it's back to user reviews again. :p
Let me know when your copy has arrived.
I wonder if it will be split down "I like the motion sensing" "I hate the motion sensing" lines again.

Seems odd that IGN said the voice acting was very good, and Gamespot say it's crap.

Maybe GS didn't like the motion controls, so judge everything harshly as a result, or maybe it's fair and IGN just loved the motion controls (like I did in the demo) and judged everything too high.

I read that the IGN reviewer was a new guy and this guy was really "hyped up" about the game.

Back