First dual laser HD-DVD drive using a single optical lense.

I personally think they should use writable media the same way they used carts. Have a part of the game disk be writable for saved games, unlockables, ect. I've been using mem cards forever and still hate them. I always manage to erase hours and hours of work with stupid mistakes like leaving my US mem card in my gcn and booting up a JP game that formats it. They go bad, get lost ect. One year a flood in our basement ruined my uber psx mem card with EVERYTHING on it.

At the very least console manufactureres ought to put a big mem card on board. Despite my nervousness about magnetic media in consoles, xbox has been really nice this way. I don't ever have to think about it.. just put a game in and there it is.

..but maybe I just make simple things way too complicated :p

At the very least console manufactureres ought to put a big mem card on board.

Like Saturn.

I'd like to see 8cm HD-DVD media being used on the next gen consoles and have packages like the current Japanese GameCube games. Elegant and space friendly.

I like that idea.

What's even better is if in the future, they can have a cheap rom catridge the size of the current memory card that can store 100s GB of data, that replaces optical medium.

gurgi said:
I personally think they should use writable media the same way they used carts. Have a part of the game disk be writable for saved games, unlockables, ect. I've been using mem cards forever and still hate them. I always manage to erase hours and hours of work with stupid mistakes like leaving my US mem card in my gcn and booting up a JP game that formats it. They go bad, get lost ect. One year a flood in our basement ruined my uber psx mem card with EVERYTHING on it.

At the very least console manufactureres ought to put a big mem card on board. Despite my nervousness about magnetic media in consoles, xbox has been really nice this way. I don't ever have to think about it.. just put a game in and there it is.

..but maybe I just make simple things way too complicated :p

Well personally, my mem card has been plugged in my PS2 since launch. All dusty and stuff.
The only problem i ever had with a mem card was with a Third Party PS1 mem card that corrupted my 50+ Hour FF7 game leaving me in tears. That was one of the saddest day of my life. Ever. :cry: :D

The exact smae thing happened to me and my 75+ hour game of gran turismo 2... fucking third party mem cards :p But that was hardly a loss compared to the 200+ hour file of morrowind I lost on a bad Harddrive.

I've had a Playstation, a Saturn, and a Dreamcast all fail on me, and now my PS2 is acting funny. I don't want to lose my saves because my console breaks. Likewise, I don't want to have my saves coupled with my disk, especially since I have to let my younger siblings borrow these games from time to time (where deleting a save is made all too easy by stupid interface design :devilish: )

Back