First Blu-Ray reviews!!

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
OUCH...

...and...

this one with pics, but without Blu-ray discs to review...

For costing twice as much as the HD-A1, Samsung’s BD-P1000 isn’t anywhere near twice the machine. The sooner dual-layer discs are introduced with improved video quality and a studio puts out a title on both formats concurrently, the sooner we’ll be able to properly compare and draw more informed conclusions. Right now it’s just too early to declare one format rules them all.

So was I really fortunate enough to stumble upon what will surely be a sold out Blu-ray player by this time next week? Only time can answer that question. What’s clear now is the high-def fight is officially underway and round one goes to HD-DVD.

Guess we'll have to wait until both formats and players are out for a few months...

Reactions: Geo
round one goes to HD-DVD

I'd be interested how he comes up with this conclusion, not being able to watch any blu-ray content whatsoever? :???: Or is it just because of the price?

_xxx_ said:
I'd be interested how he comes up with this conclusion, not being able to watch any blu-ray content whatsoever? :???: Or is it just because of the price?

Basically, yes. At double the price, the blu-ray player is ridiculously overpriced. The other review also said that the Bluray playback is actually inferior to HDDVD, so logically it should be even cheaper. But double the price for an inferior product is a bit embarrassing for Samsung and inderectly for Sony.

Let's wait till the player is actually released and more titles are available, we certainly can't judge this "war" by looking at pre-release units and software...

london-boy said:
Basically, yes. At double the price, the blu-ray player is ridiculously overpriced.

Which has absolutely no meaning since we know nothing about quality and (dis)advantages of the respectable systems yet.

The other review also said that the Bluray playback is actually inferior to HDDVD, so logically it should be even cheaper.

You mean the one from HDDVD.org? ;)

Much too soon to crown any sort of victor IMO. It's so annoying when 'journalists' compare the very first two products available with a few, if any very first available titles for said products, and then try and come up with a winner.

That's nothing but fraud really.

_xxx_ said:

No I have read some of the current reviews where the reviewer has seen movies in both formates (not the same movies mind you) and in their opinion they looks the same or a slight edge in IQ went to HD-DVD. I will try to dig one up for you but at work so could take some time.

But if this reviewer was right, then thats not good start to blu-ray...

Guden Oden said:
That's nothing but fraud really.

Exactly. And keeping in mind that it's HDDVD.org who reviewed the competing player, it's as credible as Ballmer on a good day ;)

_xxx_ said:

True, true, didn't see that...:D Well the BRD player is definitely not perfect, and the HDDVD one ain't either. Personally i find it silly to buy either of them now.

jb said:
I will try to dig one up for you but at work so could take some time.

Nah, thanks but don't bother. That all doesn't make much sense untill we have at least 2-3 devices to compare from each camp and a buttload of movies too.

Also, the prices will inevitably converge as well at some point.

_xxx_ said:
Nah, thanks but don't bother. That all doesn't make much sense untill we have at least 2-3 devices to compare from each camp and a buttload of movies too.

Also, the prices will inevitably converge as well at some point.

One thing that is undeniable is that 25GB discs encoded in MPEG2 are hardly gonna cut it against movies on 30GB discs in VC1... Something has to give, and it's either extras or video/audio quality... But it's early...

yes, silly to buy now, you can build a HTPC for half the price then wait for PC drives.
MPEG2 at least is nice for decoding with a cheap or "outdated" single core and ffdshow.

about 25GB MPEG2 vs 30GB VC1 : what you miss is HDDVD probably wouldn't have the throughput for so high bitrate.
I'll agree VC1 or H264 will be better than MPEG2. but movie transfer quality seems more important for now?

_xxx_ said:
Exactly. And keeping in mind that it's HDDVD.org who reviewed the competing player, it's as credible as Ballmer on a good day ;)

I think the review came from the AVS forums and was simply posted on the HDDVD.org website. /shrug

That said, I do agree that it's a bit premature to declare a winner yet.

Too bad Philips decided to go for delivering OEM parts instead of complete players.

Here's the fun part:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=690621

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=670945&highlight=Poll

That site is the b3d of the a/v world. Basically, blu ray is a bust so far. 50GB Dual Media is nowhere in sight (likely won't be for quite some time) and Sony simply refuses to even entertain VC1. 25GB is not enough with Mpeg2 to not just compete with HD DVD but even display a better picture than OTA or Cable/Sat HD in some cases. The longer the movie, the more it suffers.

Ofcourse this thread will quickly fill with "OMG! WAIT FOR PS3!!!!" if it ever gets linked to the console forum....hint: it's not just player issues.

Sorry for the off topicsness of this post:

But there will be players that can play both formats, right? Because I seriously wish to avoid that whole format mumbajumbo.

hupfinsgack said:
Sorry for the off topicsness of this post:

But there will be players that can play both formats, right? Because I seriously wish to avoid that whole format mumbajumbo.

Samsung will release hybrid players eventually. As well as lots of other unknown chinese/korean manufacturers.

london-boy said:
Samsung will release hybrid players eventually. As well as lots of other unknown chinese/korean manufacturers.
I'm especially looking forward to the unknowns :p

Back