Firefox CPU consumption...

Guden Oden

Legend
Or more precisely: why it eats such huge gobs of the stuff!

If there's a page with a couple flash animations the browser completely bogs down if I try to use the mouse to scroll with. It also wastes cycles for no real reason, in this case I'm somewhat perplexed having to admit IE simply is the more efficient choice. (!)

Guden Oden said:
Or more precisely: why it eats such huge gobs of the stuff!

If there's a page with a couple flash animations the browser completely bogs down if I try to use the mouse to scroll with. It also wastes cycles for no real reason, in this case I'm somewhat perplexed having to admit IE simply is the more efficient choice. (!)
Might have something to do with it not using direct-x, hence using the CPU core to do everything?

Guden Oden said:
If there's a page with a couple flash animations the browser completely bogs down if I try to use the mouse to scroll with.
Since when was FireFox responsible for how plugins perform?

@Guden Oden: I think you should post this in Firefox forum instead, you might get better help there.

@carpediem: Isn't it the same like using avant browser? I'm pretty concerned of all the security holes in IE and any IE-based browsers

Diplo said:
Since when was FireFox responsible for how plugins perform?

Ask yourself this then: why is (pretty much) the same plugin performing so much worse in FF than it does in IE? Whose fault is THAT, huh? ;)

carpediem: Isn't it the same like using avant browser? I'm pretty concerned of all the security holes in IE and any IE-based browsers

Maxthon has, for instance, already fixed a number of IE security issues. the IFRAME exploit that is still unpatched in XP is an example of that.

So it's safer than IE

It's known that Macromedia's plugins are not well written. Macromedia should fix this.

ninelven said:
Take bungie.net for example; the stats are pretty much unviewable with firefox.
What's wrong in Firefox? Looks ok to me.

Eh...bungie.net doesn't use flash.
The slideout menu is done by some javascript repositioning.
Just sayin'.

Guden Oden said:
Ask yourself this then: why is (pretty much) the same plugin performing so much worse in FF than it does in IE? Whose fault is THAT, huh? ;)
It's not the same plugin, though, at all. IE and FireFox use completely different plugin architectures and Macromedia tend to be lax when supporting anything other than IE.

The rendering code is guaranteed to be the same, if they had to rewrite that they'd never support anything other than IE...

Snyder said:
Eh...bungie.net doesn't use flash.
The slideout menu is done by some javascript repositioning.
Just sayin'.
That and I dont have any slow downs.
I never had a problem with flashs bogging down firefox, but at school with 2.4ghz P4's without hyperthreading, they bog them down for some reason, using IE of course.
I only problems I have with firefox is it uses an assload of memory when viewing pages with lots of images, compared to even IE, compared to opera it's insane.
I heard in order to view jpgs they have to be converted to bmp, hence a page with only like 50 MB of pics turns into 300mb, but how home opera uses like <70MB when viewing the same pages with pics?

I've experienced (a number of times, btw) the firefox.exe process hangs around even after all windows have been closed. Today the very same thing happened, and then the program refused to start again without defining a new profile, as it claimed the default profile was already in use.

That prompted me to open up the task manager - lo and behold, there firefox was, already running... [keanu]Whoah![/keanu]

I killed the thing, then the browser started up just like normal without bitching about it.

Guden Oden said:
I've experienced (a number of times, btw) the firefox.exe process hangs around even after all windows have been closed. Today the very same thing happened, and then the program refused to start again without defining a new profile, as it claimed the default profile was already in use.

That prompted me to open up the task manager - lo and behold, there firefox was, already running... [keanu]Whoah![/keanu]

I killed the thing, then the browser started up just like normal without bitching about it.
All the problems you have are ones that had back when firefox was at version .6-.7
Its quite strange to see em popping up for you.

I do have to agree the Firefox does use far too much CPU power when flash is running. I am currently building up a webpage and it is very flash intensive, on Opera/IE6 it runs like a dream, on Firefox it drags big time ruining all the effort I put into flash :cry: .

Kind of makes me want to down grade the site just so it can run... it's a hard choice...

I'm still not sure why, but i've resorted to using both IE and FFox. simply because, for some reason i'm not even gonna bother to think about, trying to find and explanation, some sites work with IE, but they work with FFox, and vice versa.
Now, i'd understand if it were a plug in issue, but it really isn't, cause sites with the same required plug ins might work on one of them but not the other... Go figure...

Back