Finally Went Water

The first reserator was universally known for having a very wimpy pump. How is the second one in that regard? Considering zalman has CPU, GPU, northbridge AND graphics ram waterblocks available for the R2 unit, if you hook up all that shit in series that'll cause major drag in the system... How does it work?

It shuts the system up and reduces temps by a little. You just dont have the headroom you'd have with a serious setup using a pump that moves a large volume of water. The only real appeal is to reduce noise to near minimum. Certainly not something you'd want to invest in if you were going to overclock since its not going to give you near enough leeway compared to the aftermarket or newer stock HSFs.

I just built a new water setup. Core 2 duo E6400, 7900 GTO, and some other goodies. Right now I only have the CPU and NB being cooled, I'm waiting for the DX10 cards to come out before I add the GPU into this loop (it's not like the 7900GTO needs water anyway lol). I'm using a koolance Exos-2 as the base, but running a Swifty Apogee on the Core2 and a Swifty MCW-30 on the NB. The blocks were a little harder to install then the koolance blocks I used in my old computer, but seems to be worth it. The setup lowered temps from the stock intel cooler by about 20-25 degrees celsius, even under load. I managed to get my little 2.1Ghz E6400 all the way up to 3.9GHz last night with a little voltage bump, but I've been running it at 3.2GHz @ stock voltage for daily computing. This thing is crazy fast as it is already lol.

If you want a totally silent PSU, there are many fanless DC-DC ones. And you generally need a lower power rating, as they're more efficient and mostly can deliver power closer to their peak limit. They do require an external power brick, though.

1x Thermaltake Spirit II northbridge cooler (19 dB - very quiet)

I would recommend that people DON'T BUY THIS.
After just a couple weeks this originally quite silent NB cooler is now annoyingly loud. It does so so without the fan, but not good enough. I've pulled the voltage down to quiet it down, but it was advertised at 19 dB and it only stayed there for 2 weeks.

Guess it's time to shop for a NB water block!

Back