Finally ordered my new Sammy HDTV!

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
This one:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/le32r51bdxxeu.asp

For the price, i couldn't resist!! It's not ther lastest model by a mile, in fact there are better models out there these days, but i just had to make a choice in whether i had to invest in something now and wait till things calm down then change to a better model, or buying a top of the line model today, which will still be in the same situation as this one come 2 years time...

So i went for the "cheaper" option, and when the time comes, i'll invest properly in a 1080p model, if i really have to.

For the price, this 720p model is fabulous, and looks gorgeous on or off. :D

I'll be shortly posting pics of my setup running upscaled DVDs (or high res pics) through the new Philips 5900 DVD player.

Happy bunny!!! :D

Deepak said:
I thought you already had bought a Samsung LCD TV!? BTW post pics...

Well u know when i told u guys i was gonna get a Sammy HDTV... well, i "was" gonna get it. Now i've ordered it properly and next tuesday i'll be all HDTV'ed up!! :D

Pretty! Does this mean you're back from Paris?

Oh i'm SO back! i'm teh backest! NEVER AGAIN!!! :LOL:

london-boy said:
Oh Paris is a beauuuutiful city... The problem is the people... :devilish:
No offence to any parisiens on here, if any (Vysez is an exception! :LOL: )

Next time, I recommend Vienna. The nicest people EVER and a very beautiful city.

_xxx_ said:
Next time, I recommend Vienna. The nicest people EVER and a very beautiful city.

Well i'm off to Ireland in 3 weeks time :D
I'll give Vienna a go eventually... So much to do, so many people to see :LOL:

Aaaanyway, HDTV!!! ME ME ME ME ME!!!

Cool. Congrats! :D

Wtf happened to the 1080p models anyway? I was under the impression last winter that we were expecting mainstream models (i.e. $3-5k) in the summer of 2005 --but I can't see that any showed up.

How much and where from? Given the recent purchase of an Xbox360, I'm now pondering a HDTV for the living room. I'll need to pray to the God of Shoes for the missus in return, but I could see that sacrifice being made.

geo said:
Cool. Congrats! :D

Wtf happened to the 1080p models anyway? I was under the impression last winter that we were expecting mainstream models (i.e. $3-5k) in the summer of 2005 --but I can't see that any showed up.

heh i lost hope on 1080p sets. Even then, at the size i need for my living room (32-37"), 1080p is useless. It becomes to be relatively noticeable after a certain size (normally 42"). So i'm not too bothered...

How much and where from? Given the recent purchase of an Xbox360, I'm now pondering a HDTV for the living room. I'll need to pray to the God of Shoes for the missus in return, but I could see that sacrifice being made.

900 quid more or less from Dixons - used MAC5 to get a 5% discount (about 60 quid, not too bad!) and another code for free delivery :D
But i did pay for "installation", not because i want the guys to install the thing, but because they take it out of the box and see if it works properly straight away. It would be a pain to send it back, should anything be broken, know what i mean? That was 20 quid...

play.com are selling an Sammy equivalent (R41) 32" quite cheaply.

As for 1080p, they wont' be mainstream even this year, and certainly not below 40" for a long while. How many 1080i models can you get now below 42". None I'm aware of.

Randell said:
play.com are selling an Sammy equivalent (R41) 32" quite cheaply.

As for 1080p, they wont' be mainstream even this year, and certainly not below 40" for a long while. How many 1080i models can you get now below 42". None I'm aware of.

The Philips 37" 9830 is a full 1920x1080 set which displays in 1080p but can only accept 1080i signals, which is stupid but will probably change after a firmware update.

That's it i think...

The Sammy R series are quite cheap these days, some sites sell it for 100 quid less than i paid for it, but i liked the look of the R51 better than the R41 (the design is slightly different) and from some sources, it seeems the R51 is the newer model, completely the same hardware-wise, but the firmware is newer and is generally a more polished set than the original R41... Besides i rather buy from Dixons than from unknown (to me) websites... :D

london-boy said:
i did pay for "installation", not because i want the guys to install the thing, but because they take it out of the box and see if it works properly straight away. It would be a pain to send it back, should anything be broken, know what i mean? That was 20 quid...
Smart move. One thing that scared the bejebus out of me was just pulling the TV from the box when I got it, you're suddenly very aware of how fragile they are and how the nice folks at the store kept pushing you for the home set-up and stressing how then they'd be responsible for any mistakes/breakage....and how many horror stories they can tell ya about do-it-yourselfers. :???:

It was actually pretty simple & straightforward, but still nerve wracking and I did have to get my wife's help in moving it a few times. (I'm pretty sure I could handle moving it myself, but I was positive that two people could handle moving it betterer)

So when does the new magic idiot box arrive?!?!

digitalwanderer said:
Smart move. One thing that scared the bejebus out of me was just pulling the TV from the box when I got it, you're suddenly very aware of how fragile they are and how the nice folks at the store kept pushing you for the home set-up and stressing how then they'd be responsible for any mistakes/breakage....and how many horror stories they can tell ya about do-it-yourselfers. :???:

It was actually pretty simple & straightforward, but still nerve wracking and I did have to get my wife's help in moving it a few times. (I'm pretty sure I could handle moving it myself, but I was positive that two people could handle moving it betterer)

So when does the new magic idiot box arrive?!?!

Next tuesday!! Can't wait!! After that, my new place will look the dogs bollocks!!! :D

digitalwanderer said:
Dog's bollocks aren't the most attractive thing I can think of... :???:

... It's a brit thing... :LOL:

I'll post pics of my place with the new setupand with nice sexy girls (fag hags) with very little clothes around to make you guys happy! :LOL:

Back