Finally got Gentoo running & D3 question.

Jimmers

Newcomer
After 3 days and plenty beer, I finally got Gentoo installed on my iBook, and am in the middle of getting X up and running. All I have left to do now is get some other programs and WindowMaker. Does anyone know if my iBook (1GHz, 512MB PC2100 RAM, ATI RV280) would be able to play Doom3 using the linux client? Or for that matter, if there are any other Linux-abled games out there other than D3 and Q3?

You could certainly run it well enough to be able to walk around and look at the scenery. As far as combat is concerned, well... Aiming would be an issue, for starters. :p

Jimmers said:
After 3 days and plenty beer, I finally got Gentoo installed on my iBook, and am in the middle of getting X up and running. All I have left to do now is get some other programs and WindowMaker. Does anyone know if my iBook (1GHz, 512MB PC2100 RAM, ATI RV280) would be able to play Doom3 using the linux client? Or for that matter, if there are any other Linux-abled games out there other than D3 and Q3?

AFAIK the Linux clients for Doom 3 and Quake 3 are only available for x86.

Guden Oden said:
But isn't there a port? Or has id dropped mac support these days?

The way I understand it they have these titles for:

x86: Windows 32-bit and GNU/Linux

PPC: Mac OS X

Well hell. But on a brighter note, I think i found a page that details getting UT GOTY to run on Gentoo, although I didn't look to see if it was ppc or not. Either way, XMMS is giving me hell just to play a CD, so I probably won't get to gaming for a while. That and the 2nd/3rd mouse button emulation. Feckin Apple....

[EDIT]: Oops. The above message was made by Jimmers. Appearantly, you don't need an account to post in this forum section.

Back