windows 10 cursor size

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by zed, Jan 31, 2019.

1. zed

zed
    Veteran

OK finally got all parts of my PC, installed windows 10, new 4k 32" monitor, zoom 125%
    the cursor is a joke its tiny, I google and all articles on the net say change to extra large etc which I do and its marginally bigger (3 sizes I can choose from, which are tiny, more tiny, practically invisible )
    AFAIKS the largest cursor size is 48x48 pixels, I tried out linux on the same machine and can have cursors up to 256x256 pixels, which is overkill, 128x128 or something would be nice, or at least 96x96.
    I dont want to run linux I want windows, surely in 2019 I can have a larger cursor, there must be some registery setting or something but google is no help

EDIT: älso Im running https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc8i5beh.html
    with onboard intel GPU, but are very unhappy with how cleartype looks, I try lots of setting but cant get it anywhere as nice as my last nvidia card, is there a better app than windows inbuilt one for changing cleartype in realtime?

ta zed

#1 zed, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. w0lfram

Newcomer

What version of Windows 10, plz...

3. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

What a beauty!! How much does it weigh? How much RAM does it have? How about gaming performance?

Take a look at this:

2.) The biggest Mouse Pointer and Cursor for Windows-10!
    http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=23

Also, there is a trick that I use a lot is enabling the always useful setting Show location of pointer when I press CTRL key.

hoom likes this.
  4. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Can it run Crysis?

AlBran and hoom like this.
  5. zed

zed
    Veteran

Windows 10 home, up to date
    weight = 683 g, I have 8GB, and samsung 500GB M.2 970evo. Graphics of course are crap, no idea how bad, I dont play games, I just wanted a portable, quiet machine that uses not much power.
    That would be great if it replaces the windows cursor, but it doesnt it just adds another cursor under the current windows cursor

6. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I always thought it wasnt the size of the boat but the motion of the ocean that mattered?

7. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

portability is very important. Days ago I brought my 1.8Kb laptop -i7, 1050Ti, 16GB ram- to watch some videos about something he fancied and we started playing games afterwards. This is like bringing a console to your friend's house, like in the old times, but with a screen.

I've also found this, but dunno if it helps.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/b636399f-76b3-4c56-9f36-fb24d20fabc9

Not sure if this is still a problem for you, but I figured it out.

More steps are needed.

1. Open up the control panel the old fashioned way or do the windows key + x and type in control.exe.

Typing in /name Microsoft.Mouse didn't work for me, so I probably did something wrong.

2. I just typed Mouse in the search bar in the control panel. You should see Mouse with several options -- I clicked the change mouse settings link. (I'm fully aware this is the slower way to access it, but it worked, that's all I care about).

3. Once the Mouse Properties Window opens, select the Pointers Tab. Under the Section that reads "Customize" -- find the pointer you want to change and select it. Then click browse and give it a minute for the icons to display in the list as well as the file names.

For me, the normal arrow pointer and link select "hand" icons are ridiculously small, so these are the 2 examples I will use.

4. Example 1: The default link select pointer (white arrow) is aero_arrow (I think). I browsed to aero_arrow_l (they give you a preview of the size in the Browse window). I'm assuming this means aero_arrow_large. There's also an xl that's even bigger.

Example 2: The default link select pointer (hand pointing) is aero_link (I think). I browsed to aero_link_l (they give you a preview of the size in the Browse window). I'm assuming this means areo_link_large. There's also an xl that's even bigger.

I don't know that I care to bother with the other pointer options at this point, but hopefully if you want to do the others, there's a large version of the icon that you can browse to and find.

8. rcf

rcf
    Regular Newcomer

You can also search for mouse cursor themes. Here's one:
    https://www.deviantart.com/antiden/art/macOS-Sierra-cursors-for-Windows-only-200-701736062

9. Davros

Legend

10. zed

zed
    Veteran

Ta, I found this page before, and tried it, it shows the old choose cursor dialog, but doesnt really let you choose larger cursors

These cursors are even smaller than normal, their 'secret' to making the cursors appear large is to resize the desktop 200%, I dont want everything larger just the cursors

downloaded the free version, cursors are not larger, the paid version may be able to have larger cursors but without the ability to see if this is the case I'm unwilling to pay them

#10 zed, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  11. Davros

Legend

cursors xp are just png files i think try resizing one in an image editor