Final Fantasy XV [XO, PS4, PC]

For someone that has never really seen 4K HDR gaming content yet at all, what do you think would be more impressive?

A) Final Fantasy XV on PC with most of the additional eye candy over the PS4 version;
B) Final Fantasy XV on the PS4 Pro in 4K HDR.

I already have FFXV for PS4 since launch and wondering if its worth it to get PC version as well, while I will get a 4K HDR TV later in the year.

For someone that has never really seen 4K HDR gaming content yet at all, what do you think would be more impressive?

A) Final Fantasy XV on PC with most of the additional eye candy over the PS4 version;

I already have FFXV for PS4 since launch and wondering if its worth it to get PC version as well, while I will get a 4K HDR TV later in the year.

why not try the free demo on PC?

Made a gif, comparing SSAO vs VXAO indoors:

ffxv_vxao1xu3o.gif

Native 4K screenshots: SSAO - VXAO

And that's with "high" quality SSAO. By enabling VXAO only you get rid of banding and haloing artifacts, and culling "artifacts" as well.

Very good comparison and the normal SSAO in FFXV looks awfull in my opinion.

Here the VXAO reminds me of Star Citizens HBSSDO/Horizon Based SSDO (still to be implemented).
example_1.gif example_2.gif

"One of the team’s newest engineers started working on an ambient occlusion solution which is a more accurate, horizon based SSDO. Previously, the shader only sampled the end of occlusion test rays across the surface hemisphere, but with the rework, it now also takes samples along each ray in order to better detect occlusion in-between, to prevent undersampling. The team’s in the final process of optimizing the shader since the first pass implementation is fairly expensive due to the number of samples required."
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16399-Monthly-Studio-Report-January-2018

However, at some point developers have to consider whether they want to make screen space effects more complex or go for raytracing. Sometimes Screen space AOs and SSRs become very slow. Then it can be less efficient to work with rasterization and tricks than simply using raytracing (yes, FFXV has no Screen space AO).

Last edited:

I have FFXV on PS4pro. I find it horrible. Really. I'm used to playing on PC, and FFXV on Pro, even with HDR on my LG C7, looks like crap to me. Textures are pretty blurry, lots of pop in... If I had to do it again, I would play it on my PC (5820k@4.2ghz, 32gb of ram, Vega FE@1650mhz) and my 27 ips freesync display.

Anyone know any noclip for ffxv pc?

Just found on YouTube that turns out the original version on PS4 have crazy amounts of cut locations.

1. The Insomnia express way that was used extravagantly in FFXV movie (forgot the title)
2. The ball room in Insomnia (only the exterior left)
3. Altissia have the rooms and corridors used to show off ffxv many years ago in E3 when it was still ff vs 13 using ebony engine or crystal tools (the one with leviathan water squirrels like tentacles in buildings and destroy walls, and the comm have face camera)
4. The very old video where Stella was still in ff vs 13... We thought it was a pre rendered video. Turn out the damn map is there in Insomnia.

I can't imagine the amounts of hard work got cut... Omg...

How the hell is this over 100 Gigabytes!?!?! :no:

It's been a while since I played it, but IIRC there's a lot of diversity in environments as the game goes on. Some of the later "levels" (not the open world) don't reuse a lot of stuff from the main open world map.

Regards,
SB

The only game in the series I have is Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
I haven't got around to playing it yet is it any good ?

Lota of people likes it but I didn't like it at all. The music, the art style, the map/level/town design, the battle system... the bloody "boy meets girl" trope but inside a sewer...

Whoa Whoa Whoa. What THE Hell.

1. Noctis got a really weird posture and walking/running animation. Can't Use magic. Turns out he was disabled when he was still a child. His Development Was Not Optimal. according to some texts and anime episodes (why this is not in the game?)

2. iris, a party member you'll get much later in the game, actually have idle dialogue for things BEFORE the major turn of event in the game. So originally iris was planned to be part of the party much earlier?

3. The game actually explained why this prince was traveling with no money, and why the NPCs casually asking the prince to do errands.

4. The game is as buggy and unoptimized as many years ago

5. The game is still ridiculously beautiful in some places. Heck, my brain sometimes can't decide its a real photo or not. The hdr implementation is hampered by "eye adaptation" thats way too aggressive

I just tried the multiplayer mode.
Turns out it was super boring with almost zero story.

Back to the main game then. It's hilarious to see NPCs keeps knowing noctis is a prince and still nonchalantly tell the prince to do errands.

Noct being Noct, he begrudgingly agrees to help.

Also funny when you did too many exploring / silly Quests and the bros starts to remind you to continue the main quest.

Overall the "bros" interactions between themselves are still really good. Heck, it's much better than xenoblade chronicles 3.

Edit:
Btw I wonder how amazing ffxv gonna be, if it was handed to tabata much sooner. Maybe 5 years earlier.

They don't even have time to finish the real DLCs episodes. Only episode ardyn got released despite originally it was planned for episode noctis and episode noctis' wife (dunno her name) too.

Edit :

A bunch of pretty much completed stuff also was cut from the main game. Like the ballroom where Stella dances with noctis when the game was still titled ff vs 13.

The boat free roam also was cut. Despite you still can swim from the main open world to altissia just fine. The game loads the altissia map properly.

Last edited:
Back