File sharing

mkillio

Regular
I have two PC's 1 Win2000 Pro and one XP Pro and a router, all I want to do is transfer over some files. How do I do that?

I do (Kerio Personal), but when I try to go to Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network. It says, Unable to browse the network the network is not present or not started.

Well, when I do it through the XP machine it says to put the XP CD into the other computer. As sson as I do that though it says the CD is only for 95, 98 and Millenium, not 2000.

There are a few options it gives you. Create a network setup disk. Use the netowrk setup disk I already have. Use my windows XP CD. Just finish the wizard,; I don't need to run the wizard on the other computers.

mkillio said:
There are a few options it gives you. Create a network setup disk. Use the netowrk setup disk I already have. Use my windows XP CD. Just finish the wizard,; I don't need to run the wizard on the other computers.

create network setup disk and run it on other comp.... that should do it....

Right click My Computer, select Properties and make sure both have a unique name and are a member of the same workgroup.

Next, make sure both computers have a user with the same name and password. If you don't use passwords, you should.

Right click the drive you want to share, and make a new one. Don't use the wizards, just click that you understand the risks twice (on XP), specify a name and check the box.

Turn off the firewalls (temporary) to make sure, and browse the network. If you still cannot see the other computer, choose "map network drive" in the explorer, and enter \\computername\sharename as the target.

your firewall is blocking you, disconnect the net and turn off firewall for this file share (if you do not want to go around firewall settings to enable local network browsing)

go and check your other comp on the network than if it still is not appearing do what Di Guru said ;) and that should do it.

after you ahve shared the files turn the firewall back on and connect the net.

Back