FFX-2 not getting any graphics update

What you're reacting to is the style and presentation, I think. The choices of colors, textures, shapes, sound cues, and so on.

Contrary to popular belief, style and art direction in intrinsic to 'graphical quality'. Even things like shapes and colors can play a significant role at the 'technical' aspect (affecting how scenes alias, and bleed colors, etc.).

They do now, but once upon a time they owned.

Are you sure you're just not letting your younger, more impressionable years affect your judgment? Or due to the nature of the videogame market today that Square's products are now more 'mainstream' then they were a decade ago?

So, archie...is the graphics engine being upgraded? BTW, I hope you keep up the great work, Square RPGs are the best, and have gotten better over the years. I´m fully convinced that nostalgia makes people say weird things some times.

I don't know. The best 32bit rpg was pds on the saturn. it blew away all of the FFs on the ps and the ps2. The last FF that made me go wow was part 6 , before that part 1 .

Mr. Angry Pants said:
I think all of you are missing the point here:

Squaresoft sucks.

What a waste... Why is this type of stuff allowable here? The topic (ie. the point) started as a dialog on FFX-2's graphics - get it, Beyond3D, like 3D = graphics - not how 'Squaresoft sucks'.

Which is an inflamatory comment as we have a member who works there. People get posts deleted when they talk inflamatory shit to the ATI staff in the 3D forum - the same should apply here.

Does Mr. Angry Pants ever take part in a conversation thats not based on anti-this/that comments?

So, archie...is the graphics engine being upgraded? BTW, I hope you keep up the great work, Square RPGs are the best, and have gotten better over the years.

Dunno, I'd imagine that it'll be reusing a lot of code from FFX (along with some art assets). It'd make more sense as it would be more cost, time, and throughput effective...

I´m fully convinced that nostalgia makes people say weird things some times.

Perhaps... I also believe a person's age, and surrounding events of the time affect one's perceptions.

I've got a little nephew who's really into Square games, and finds the older Nintendo games dated, and the stories trite... Of course his more impressionable years have been playing with FFVII and FFVIII.

Yeah. Square's RPGs are nothing special. Skies of Arcadia is still the best next-generation RPG.

And which generation would be the 'next-generation'? Wouldn't Skies of Arcadia be considered 'current-generation'?

I'm also pretty amazed how many 'so-called' RPG fans/players short-change the Dragon Quest series...

Which is an inflamatory comment as we have a member who works there. People get posts deleted when they talk inflamatory shit to the ATI staff in the 3D forum - the same should apply here.

They do? Anyway, I don't work there anymore (for a few months now)...

Archie,

DQ/DW has like nil exposure in North America, 7 didnt get released until way into the PS2s lifetime (and as good as it could be, its kind of hard to go 'back' a generation sometimes).

Also, you don't work at Square anymore?! Well, I hope however it was (good/bad), you've moved on to good things.

zurich

I hear Archie was thinking of becoming a GOAL-ie :p

Perhaps... I also believe a person's age, and surrounding events of the time affect one's perceptions.
I would definately agree with that. External influences can completely alter how we perceive things.
But I would also say memory sometimes plays "tricks" on us sometimes, probably something to do with the compression schemes brain uses. There were a couple of games I could swear looked much better in my memory then seeing them again on emulator. ;)

Vince said:
Does Mr. Angry Pants ever take part in a conversation thats not based on anti-this/that comments?

While I do enjoy spreading around the Squaresoft hate, that particular post was an attempt at humor.

I guess I'm not a very funny guy. :oops:

archie4oz said:
Tagrineth said:
They do now, but once upon a time they owned.

Are you sure you're just not letting your younger, more impressionable years affect your judgment? Or due to the nature of the videogame market today that Square's products are now more 'mainstream' then they were a decade ago?

I'll turn 17 in two months, so I'm kinda still in my impressionable years :p

And I played through almost all of FFVI again within this past year, helped two friends through good chunks of FFV, and tried (and failed) to beat Zeromus AGAIN in FFIV-Hardtype... helped a friend through Chrono Trigger, so on, so forth.

I loved FFVII (working on getting my PSX copy back), adored FFIX (played through this year)...

So anyway, yeah, um, I still play those old games, not just relying on memory here...

I hear Archie was thinking of becoming a GOAL-ie

Ya'know, you're just having way too much fun with that now...!

Besides, there isn't just one studio who's using it now... ;)

DQ/DW has like nil exposure in North America, 7 didnt get released until way into the PS2s lifetime (and as good as it could be, its kind of hard to go 'back' a generation sometimes).

Yes I'm aware of that. My girlfriend (quite the DQ fan; oh the irony!) had to mail me a copy 'cause I couldn't wait the eternity that it was going to take to get to the US.

That aside, a few of the earlier ones (Famicom, SuperFamicom) did make it to the US in a timely fashion, yet they never get mentioned although Square's old ones do... :(

And admittedly in the RPG stronghold of Japan, DQ has always been able to beat the pants off of FF. Hell the government even asked Enix to release DQ games on weekends because of the school attendence problems on launch day...

hey archiez, care to tell us whether CB and FF12 will have better graphics than FFX? :oops:

Dqs are very good games i got the first one for the nes free because of nintendo power , my friend and i had a sleep over , i think i was like 10 or so and we beat the game that weekend without any sleep. How about the phantsy star games by sega i think they are some of the best rpgs out there .

Dragon Quest never interested me. Way too "retro" for me. And the technology is usually almost an entire generation behind.

Isn´t the company responsable for DQ/DW on a break right now? Or have they gotten together again? Have they used that time to hire capable programmers? ;)

And, also, regarding FFX-2, are the character models going to be more consistent? Or is it going to be like X, where in cutscenes you saw the best character models in the industry, and in gameplay the ones that have 10 times less detail? Also, is shimmering gone, or at least reduced? Those were my two main complaints with the otherwise amazing FFX engine.

Back