Fear and Oblivion pushed back to 2007 (PS3)

This is good news IMO, developers have more time to work on the games.

I don't want a cheap, quick port.

Yeh, FEAR and Oblivion are being delayed until 2007.

NBA Live '07 has been cancelled for the PS3.
"NBA Live '07 - Electronic Arts has announced that a PS3 version won't be released."

And Sonic the Hedgehog has also been delayed until the holidays.
"Sonic the Hedgehog - According to IGN, Sega has decided to delay Sonic's next-gen debut until sometime this holiday season, rather than at the PS3's November 17 launch."

Seems like developers are scared by the low launch numbers. Thats my guess atleast.

Or they may just not have been ready in time .... ;)

As I now understand it, there already are two other confirmed NBA titles for PS3 launch, 2K's and Sony's. If that's true, then EA did the right thing, especially as the titles we've seen were extremely polished. They're now focussing on NBA Street.

Sonic can use any extra development time it can get, from the looks of it. And we've seen extremely little of Oblivion for PS3, so it probably wasn't ready either and maybe it even just used the launch for extra publicity, because the 360 version was also announced for launch and got the same delay.

Those games did not take advantage of the PS3 and were straight ports.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony said, we need stellar games on our system especially at launch. Even if it's just in the graphics quality. We will not approve this game, go back and work on it.

We want something unique and special on the PS3.

For the NBA games, EAs would probably sit on the shelves because the others are much better. They don't have an exclusive grip like NFL Madden and can put any crap out and people buy it.

Speng.

Project 8 (Tony Hawk) should have been delayed for the PS3 as well. No online support and a choppy framerate? Yeah, you can keep that, and I'll happily wait 3 - 6 months for a proper version.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony said, we need stellar games on our system especially at launch. Even if it's just in the graphics quality. We will not approve this game, go back and work on it.

We want something unique and special on the PS3.

For the NBA games, EAs would probably sit on the shelves because the others are much better. They don't have an exclusive grip like NFL Madden and can put any crap out and people buy it.

Speng.

Thats why they lets Tony Hack 8 get released on the ps3? A 7.3 on gamespot and to quote them

"The PlayStation 3 version of the game is more unstable and sinks to lower depths than its Xbox 360 counterpart. On the 360, it's just enough to get in the way of the gameplay. On the PS3, it's enough to make the game feel unfinished, but only on the occasions when it really starts dropping frames."

This sounds like the kind of game sony would pull. Don't get me wrong there will be a few good launch games but to say there will be no crap is silly.

Kind of disappointing that they committed to launch and then pushed back a few months, but it's most likely for the best -- how often do you see major games come out of nowhere without at least seeing screenshots or much press info about them first? There's been almost nothing mentioned about Fear or Oblivion in regards to the PS3 version (there was the article confirming Oblivion, but otherwise almost nothing).

Thinking about it a little, it'd almost be more surprising if they managed to hit launch.

Neither were games I'd be buying, so no big deal for me. EA's NBA game looks like trash, from what I've seen, so that being canceled is probably for the better. Sonic doesn't look to be all that spectactular, so a small delay there isn't going to cause any shed tears from me (although I know a couple people were excited for it).

Dammit!

No Motorstorm or oblivion. :(

I guess that puts an end to my PS3 hopes this year.

Not going to bother getting a PS3 until Spring 07.

Time to get my Sony HC3 HD Camcorder.

Losing NBA Live 07 is a belssing. PS3 doesn not need that on their launch system.

The launch list has shrunk quite a bit but is still serviceable with some good sports title (RR7 being the only race title is a bit disappointing for some) R:FoM is the CoD2 of PS3 (defined as: it will be the only huge seller).

Last edited by a moderator:
Losing NBA Live 07 is a belssing. PS3 doesn not need that on their launch system.

The launch list has shrunk quite a bit but is still serviceable with some good sports title (RR7 being the only race title is a bit disappointing for some) R:FoM is the CoD2 of PS3.

If one were so inclined, they could import MotorStorm from Japan, as I believe it is a launch game there. However, they would be losing out on online play.

On a side note, I thought that was an interesting decision. I'm not quite sure I understand why there was a push to get MotorStorm out for Japan. Maybe someone can offer some insight. Was it extremely well received (by the Japanese public and gaming press) at TGS? Is there a huge interest in that type of title with Japanese gamers? Or just a silly decision?

For the NBA games, EAs would probably sit on the shelves because the others are much better.

Whats sad is that the NBA EA games still outsell the 2k sports version even thought all the reviews and majority of the poeple that get the games rank 2k is the better product. Go figure...

After reading a couple of Gengi reviews, I have a lot of trouble believing that theory. If they were going to force game delays due to lack of quality they should have started with their own.

Back