Far Cry Primal [PS4, XO] (Feb 2016)

Fellow reviewer playing it on Expert difficuly is loving it. ANyne here has any experience of the higher difficulties? Does it feel like the survival of a timid man in a savage world?

Like a lot of games it depends on how much attention you're paying to your environment.

I'm playing it on normal difficult and have most of my skills maxed out with just a few outposts and missions to do before I press on to the finale. So I have maxed weapons, maxed carry capacity for everything and max health. I've hunted, subdued and tamed the biggest, baddest animals (the beast master hunts) although I've still not found a bloody leopard! I've killed plenty of wholly rhinos and giant mammoths who hit crazy hard and have a ton of health.

That said, it's still easy to die if you're not mindful of your environment. A big beast companion is a great deterrent against most mobs attacking. Things will often give you a wide birth or just run in the opposite direction. Most things. Wooly rhino and mammoths don't consider you a threat, they are kill you in two hits and they know it. Of course sometimes you'll want your beast at a distance and you're more vulnerable then.

Nighttime brings additional challenges, even with the biggest, baddest sabretooth companion. Wolves in numbers will have almost no fear at night and if you're in wolf country there will be multiple packs and if you're reckless they can wear you down quickly. Fall damage can you make very vulnerable as can 'other environments'.

As the man said: "We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks..." Overconfidence will get you killed :yes:

Quick question, after you tame a creature, they stop attacking you in the wild correct? It seems strange that anything would attack the beast master.

Quick question, after you tame a creature, they stop attacking you in the wild correct? It seems strange that anything would attack the beast master.
When you tame an animal, you tame just that one. All other animals of that type will still attack you, but you can throw bait at them and tame them too if you don't want to kill them. They will then replace whatever animal you have next to you at that moment, if you do.

I'm not so sure about that. I've had animals stand in front of me and not turn red and then run off. Maybe they are just scared of my current pet?

I'm not so sure about that. I've had animals stand in front of me and not turn red and then run off. Maybe they are just scared of my current pet?

Yes, it's that. Your pet will almost always be able to intimidate others of it's kind, i.e. wolf pets can intimidate other wolves from attacking - in daylight at least. Animals get braver at night and I've had packs of wolves attack me and my alpha sabretooth tiger - and that thing is a death machine. Similarly I've had wolves attack my alpha scar bear at night, and that thing is f***ing enormous and nothing in it's right mind would openly attack it. The thing is torn to shreds and has arrows sticking out of it!

When it coms to different combinations of animals (your pet/attackers) it seems to depend on who is top of the food chain. A wolf pet will generally not be able top scare off cave lions, bears, rhino, yak - basically anything that can kill it. The Cave Lion (second rank of Beast Mastery) worked pretty well for me. Its strong, quick and powerful.

I generally favoured the quick strong cats because they can chase things down real quick. This is really useful when taking down some of the harder outposts. I used bears on occasion, they're useful for drawing all the attention to themselves. I almost never used wolves but they're good for increasing your map's detection range and will growl at nearby danger. Dholes can be a time saver, they will auto loot kills so are good for harvesting meat, hide and fat. Lots of the animals have traits like this

I think tier three includes honey badgers. These are the 10,000 BC equivalent of an anti-personnel mine :mrgreen:

Entertaining when it's happening to somebody else. Less entertaining when the bastard has his teeth in your arm. The animations for that are great!

Back