Famitsu Scores The Wind Waker Full score!

"I have said for years that I dont trust magazine reviews, especially not
Famitsu, they give out perfect scores like they are going out of style"

Hasn't Famitsu only given out three perfect scores ever? LoZ: TOoT, Soul Calibur, and the new Zelda?

mkillio said:

Hasn't Famitsu only given out three perfect scores ever? LoZ: TOoT, Soul Calibur, and the new Zelda?

Yes, famitsu only gave a perfect score to those mentioned above.

mkillio said:

yes, that was sarcasm, but I was waiting for the troll brigade to use that excuse to bash it, instead, they found another.

Zurich..
"The emotions of the various characters come across with an unbelievable level of realism due through eye-based movements/expressions, and there are times when you'll find yourself extremely affected and even on the verge of tears."

sounds to me like they liked it based on gameplay alone..
your entitled to your opinion, but to throw up games like MGS2 and such, I have not seen many games with deep stories, most are great games
with too much moronic cinema taking place..
if you think MGS2 has a deep story and interesting characters, might want to see a doctor about that, it lies on the border or Moronic and Insane, the gameplay is what saved it..

I'd like to say the same for Final Fantasy X, but unfortunately, there was not a lot of gameplay, the story elements have gotten out of hand, to where you are watching games and barely interacting with them at all, what is the point? that is why we have the movie industry. Nintendo doesnt leave out Story(except in maybe Mario games), they just dont force it on you, Metroid Prime for example, there is a LOT of story to that game, you just have to look for it yourself, log it and read it, it doesnt force you to do so, or sit through 3 hours of video footage per level to see it. Cinematic is great, it just should be interactively cinematic.
"

As I previously listed, Vice City is an example of non-linear, story driven gameplay. The Getaway should be up there as well, but since I haven't played it, I can't comment.

Story/narrative/characters != non-interative game.

Edit: Hopefully Celda won't continue in the tradition of games like Golden Sun that have the possibility of an engaging story, but fall flat on their faces with Duck Duck Goose-grade writing.

Zurich:

Actually, I played OoT, and was put off instantly by the Grade 6 level writing

My god, for someone who bases a game on its story, this is HORRENDOUSLY shallow. Seriously. I suppose you're also one of those idiots who says Harry Potter has a bad story because the books are accessible to younger audiences?

(which is more than Link has ever done over all 3 [and probably 4]) systems.

NES (1 and 2), Super NES (3), Game Boy (4), Game Boy Colour (7 and 8), N64 (5 or just '3 II' and 6), GameCube, and GBA (3 remake).

Even discounting the different Game Boy models, that's still five systems... seven if you do count them. :p

mkillio: Ocarina of Time, Soul Calibur, Square's PSX RPG Vagrant Story, and now Zelda:WW. You missed VS. :)

cybamerc said:
A Sony troll flaming Nintendo software... who would've thunk it.

This board is not what it used to be.

Healer, heal thyself.

zurich said:
I'm not saying Zelda's a bad game in any shape or form, I'm saying it lacks a strong narrative which is what prevents ME from enjoying it!

I sort of agree. I feel that it could benefit from a better story and characters... although I didn't really feel that that hurt Ocarina of Time much because the gameplay was just that tight.

My god, for someone who bases a game on its story, this is HORRENDOUSLY shallow. Seriously. I suppose you're also one of those idiots who says Harry Potter has a bad story because the books are accessible to younger audiences?

Shrug, I wouldn't know, never been interested in Harry Potter. I do, however, know a thing or two about English (majored in it at Uni), and I think I'm pretty good at gauging the level of a text's writting. As I said in a previous thread, Golden Sun is a pretty good game, but I want to throw my GBA out the window every time diaglog pops up... *puts on fire retardant* because it honestly feels like I'm reading something written for a 10 year old.

Compare Golden Sun and Final Fantasy (say, VI) side by side. The gameplay is virtually identical, but FFVI's text is far deeper than GS's, even going as far to play with the concept of suicide [they've still yet to say "dead" or "kill" in GS].

So at the end of the day, when the gameplay is fine and dandy, I'll still always pick the product that engages me on a more (gasp) intellectual and mature level.

I guess the advantage to Nintendo's approach is that a story, no matter how potentially "deep" (ie: MGS2), can't be criticized if its not there!

Zurich: Hehe, Golden Sun has arguably the worst dialogue of any "properly translated" RPG I've played.

It is so simplistic, so bland. Zelda, on the other hand, doesn't have a complex/intricate storyline.. but IMO what it did have in LTTP/LA/OOT/MM/etc was definitely enough for me. Simple but elegant.

I think I got a chill down my spine once or twice in OOT too.. :) While I think that LTTP was a better game in ways.. OOT is still deserving of the 40/40 that Famitsu gave it, and the 98.2% on Game Rankings. It did just about everything perfectly.

I think it´s good for GC that all the AAA-titles is delivered and live upp to the standards.
I haven´t played any Zelda game, ironic the first game i´ve got was the Zelda - Gamewatch, put i can´t count that in.

overclocked said:
I think it´s good for GC that all the AAA-titles is delivered and live upp to the standards.
I haven´t played any Zelda game, ironic the first game i´ve got was the Zelda - Gamewatch, put i can´t count that in.

yeah like starfox... :rolleyes:

You know after playing all the Final Fantasy Playstation games and then coming back to the Gamecube, you really see the genius in the Nintendo games. Final Fantasy dulls you, click, click, click, do this go there, oh great FMV! The whole thing distances you from the story and becomes boring.
Games like Metroid and Zelda are much more challenging and immersive because they demand your attention and because they don't bore you with a complex stupid story. They let you build up the story in your mind.

duncan36 said:
You know after playing all the Final Fantasy Playstation games and then coming back to the Gamecube, you really see the genius in the Nintendo games. Final Fantasy dulls you, click, click, click, do this go there, oh great FMV! The whole thing distances you from the story and becomes boring.
Games like Metroid and Zelda are much more challenging and immersive because they demand your attention and because they don't bore you with a complex stupid story. They let you build up the story in your mind.

Not even going to touch this one :eek:

All I'll say is.. different strokes for different folks.

Back