Fallout New Vegas

Man, these guys sound like PC devs, releasing a buggy POS like Warcrow described. Is Bethesda doing this one, or someone else?

The more complexity you add to something the more likely it is to be buggy. Unfortunately it can be a side effect of ambitious games. Not that it excuses incredibly buggy software.

There was zero challenge in Fallout 3, glad they added the hardcore mode on there for New Vegas. I'm waiting for the inevitable GOTY edition next year since I have a lot of games to play now and not enough time. That golden cup on table tennis has my name on it!

A part of me wants to relive the fallout rpg experience
Another part does not want to suffer another fallout 3, especially the crappy main story.

Despite the bugs, I usually enjoy Obsidian releases though.

Did they forgot the ending like Kotor2 this time ? :D

He! whats wrong with the Fallout 3 story? I liked it. The problem with games like this is that there is so much to do that it is hard to make it really story driven and exiting all the time like you can do in a more liniar game. Anyway I got 100+ hours on Fallout 3 and I liked most of it.

Yeah Fallout 3 was good IMHO bar the ending which fellt rushed and cliche. I gave it 11 out of 10 due to a mutation by cause of radiation.

He! whats wrong with the Fallout 3 story? I liked it. The problem with games like this is that there is so much to do that it is hard to make it really story driven and exiting all the time like you can do in a more liniar game. Anyway I got 100+ hours on Fallout 3 and I liked most of it.
It sucked because there was no reasonable explanation given to why you couldn't send your radiation immune super mutant or robot companion into the radioactive chamber, and someone had to sacrifice their life instead.

Because it takes a man to do a man's job. That's why. If you want a more realistic explanation: Electronics can be damaged by even small amounts of radiation so a robot might not survive and if you got broken steel installed you can actually send in Fawkes. Right. Problem solved. Now you love fallout don't you? :)

Because it takes a man to do a man's job. That's why. If you want a more realistic explanation: Electronics can be damaged by even small amounts of radiation so a robot might not survive and if you got broken steel installed you can actually send in Fawkes. Right. Problem solved. Now you love fallout don't you? :)

Nope! Still bored me to tears and is still 8 hours of my life I want back. It's probably the worst game I have on my shelf and that includes Lair.

^I've only seen a 30 minute quicklook of the game on Giantbomb.com so far, and I'd say the animations are just as laughable as they were in Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

I've been getting PMs, IMs and tweets asking various questions about the game and strategies, so I've decided to create a bit of a protips post! I'm going to put them all in one pro-place so all the tips can be protips for everyone who wants to be pro!

PS - I'm not a pro--and I certainly dont know everyhting about the game--but I'll do my best to share some of the knowledge I've aquired through my experience with the game.

Saving
Don't reply on the autosave system. Create at least 6 manual save slots and rotate them every 10-15 minutes. This will save your ass, and not necessarily because of bugs either, in the future. It's a good practice that doesn't take up very much time and can save you a mountain of frustration later in the game. I speak from experience.

X360 Performance
If you're experiencing hitching/stuttering/extensive load times then clear the cache on your HDD and reboot the system. This helped me out in most cases where I experienced performance issues. It's a bit of a pain to deal with, and frankly shouldn't have to be done, but FNV is an excellent game making this all worthwhile. :)

Invisible Walls
There are some places (not located at the edge of the game world) that have invisible walks restricting access. In my experience they tend to be located around rocks and ledges to prevent jumping/slipping around areas to gain early or unwanted access. It's annoying. So fair warning there are areas that might look accessible via shortcut but, in actuality, are not.

Hardcore mode & Health
When you experience a limb injury you have two options in HC mode--see a doc or use a Doctors Bag. Here's the best practice I found.

Remember the locations of all the doctors you meet (there isn't a lot out there so it's no real feat) and fast travel to them before using the doctors bag. Fast travel is possible in HC mode when you have a limb injury. :) Doctor Bags should be reserved only for missions where you cannot fast travel, like missions located indoors like caves or bunkers. I would recommend keeping a stock of about 10 Doctor Bags in your pack at all times. At 1lb apiece they do add up.

Empty bottles
Though I wish it were a feature (especially in HC mode) you cannot--at least in my experience--fill empty bottles with water.

Food
be careful, some food and drinks (sodas) actually increase your thirst levels. This can bit you in the ass in the most inappropriate times.

Leveling
The level cap is set to 30

Companions
You can have a total of Rex (the dog) + 1 companion in your party. Try not to lose track if them. If they manage to disappear then "wait" in the location you last saw them for a few days and they should find their way to you. In HC mode this will require a LOT if food and water so heads up! Also try visiting their homebase (where you met them) to see if they snapped there.

Health
There are warnings, located right above the compass, alerting you when you reach critical levels for food, water, sleep & limb damage. All negative (& positive) effects ate located on your Pipboy under Stats> Status> EFF.

Housing
At the risk of spoiling I'm going to answer this one in public: Yes there is a house, or suite rather, that you aquire in the game that is similar to the Ten Penny suite in Fallout 3. Yes there are upgrades you can purchase for it too.

Bobbleheads
There are no bobbleheads in the game, but there are snowglobes. The snowglobes can be sold to a collector for a large sums of money, but do not boost stats like the bobbleheads. Plus, there is a display case for the bobbleheads in your home much like the bobblehead case in Fallout 3.

Bobbleheads
There are no bobbleheads in the game, but there are snowglobes. The snowglobes can be sold to a collector for a large sums of money, but do not boost stats like the bobbleheads. Plus, there is a display case for the bobbleheads in your home much like the bobblehead case in Fallout 3.

What the.... is this for real? Finding Bobbleheads to boost my stats was one of the most satisfying disoveries in the game. :oops:

Seems to be a great game going by talk and videos. Also nice that they released GECKO (modding toolkit) on first day launch. PC FTW!

Btw the nice guy running the Bethesda RPG games modding sites has put up one for Vegas. People need to take a dive and suck the awesomeness up.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/

I have the game on PC, played it about an hour.

Bobbleheads

The skill books you could find in Fallout 3 to increase you stats have also changed, into a temporary increase like chems. I hope there are more things that make rummaging around ruins worthwhile (there probably are, like rare materials for the crafting system).

edit: actually after a few more hours I found a couple skill books that permanently increase. Temporary increases are magazines and are more common, permanent increases are books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back