Fallen Aikido master

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
There is a martial arts called Aikido which is a collection of throwing techniques like Judo.

This is a clip from some Japanese TV show of 3-4 years ago. Watch it. In this video, an old man in black, Ryuken Yanagi, an owner of an Aikido dojo, throws his pupils... but in an unusual way. Very unusual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tib2Urowsdc

At some point, a pupil from a foreign country is thrown too and he hurts his side. Yanagi heals him with "Ki". (I guess this pupil is a fan of Ninja too.) Later the old guy blows away 10 guys with his Ki like Dragon Ball. As you notice already by now if you are over 6 yrs old, this is pure BS. I don't know why this guy has followers.

However, if the story ends here it's just another silliness. Now watch this fairly recent clip. It's a fight between Ryuken Yanagi and a professional Mixed Martial Arts fighter that took place 3 days ago. First they sign a contract and fight by the agreed rule.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQeUkUO5ZPo
The clip for the same event at the bottom of this page is more raw and brutal, you can hear the sound of a broken tooth. Not recommended for those against violence.
http://www.tanteifile.com/diary/2006/11/27_02/index2.html

What I don't understand is why Yanagi went there. I think it's very rare to see this kind of thing happens as these guys always hide behind excuses.

It seems that the master was all out of mana points at teh time of this real fight against someone who is not one of his stupid pupils.

Seriously though, the dude is a riot.
I mean, obviously, if he did accept that fight, it means that either he thought that it would be rigged, but something went terribly wrong, or he was really persuaded to be able to throw energy waves by doing ridiculous moves, as if he was pushing some little bugs off from coming close, seeing that his pupils were either too respectful (or maybe were they stupid as well) not to fall when he did his "special attacks".

He got owned hard, by the way. When he got his tooth broken he looked like he was thinking: "THAT WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THIS."

What I don't understand, though, is how after so many years none of his students come off and told him something such as: "Honorable BS master-sama, with all the respect due to a batshit insane seifu such as yourself, your magical powers are, like, you know, totally and completely inexistent, you dumb old fart!"

Seriously, why the hell did he go there? And why didn't anyone stop him? In any case it's the funniest thing I've seen all day. It's like he actually expected his "magical" ki attacks to work at the beginning of the fight. And when it didn't he was like wtf? And the other guy was almost apologizing for kicking his ass.

Really what was he thinking, he's just an old man. Or maybe just maybe.... read my sig for explanation.

You mean that maybe... Ryuken Yanagi is actually George Constanza?

:p

:LOL:

No, actually I meant that he actually started to believe his BS. But your account of what happened is way better. I seriously doubt George Constanza would have done worse in that fight. :p

Whatever that guy was using, it wasn't aikido.. It looked like some sort of kungfu or god knows what.

Mma fighters sometimes train a little bit in aikido, there are a few (but not many) wrist and shoulder throws/locks that actually work (usually with the Gi on) in some of the more combat oriented aikido styles. It somewhat complements their judo/jujutsu training. The rest is 90% brazillian jujutsu on the ground (sometimes with a mix of a chinese grappling art I can never remember the name off, which is /was a large part of the origin of leg and knee locks used today). Grego roman wrestling (when you dont wear a Gi) and of course kickboxing/Muay thai + a few exotic moves/kicks that have had some success in the ring but are longshots.

But thats only 50% of the battle.. The rest is training, talent and athleticism.

I feel bad for the old guy, but the amount of con jobs in martial arts is absurd. Fortunately MMA really cleared a lot of that up, so the public is much more aware.

I felt kind of sorry for the old dude. :(

No end to the complexity of the human psyche I suppose.

Is he really an Aikido practitioner? In the first clip all he did with his upper half was that weird jedi crap but on occasions his footwork was ok - nothing like Aikido however.

When the proper fight started and he started flapping his arms like a butterfly I thought "uh-oh".

By the way, my JKD instructor is an old guy with a limp - he'll kick my younger 16 stone ass though! :)

WTFS????
Is he using waves for real or is he just another charlatan messing with us???

Back