Exynos 5450

Just found a sketchy Exynos roadmap, not sure if it can be considered accurate..but seems plausible....a Samsung Exynos 5450..complete with 4 Cortex A15s and a Mali T658.. what a monstrosity!! thats got to be the most powerfull mobile chipset on any road map ive seen...i bet we wont see it till 2013 earliest and ill eat my own toenails if it ends up in a mobile phone :p

http://androidandme.com/2012/02/news/samsung-demos-quad-core-exynos-processors-we-drool/

On a more sour note, the 4412..which many consider to be the chip thats going to power the vaunted GS3...will only carry a mali 400 @400 mhz...instead of T604... which is something i wondered about as i couldn't see Samsung sticking in a next gen GPU and keeping the old naming sceme.

Lets hope we get a 5250 in the GS3 then!..;)

EDIT; ok ok its not an official roadmap, but a nice bit of informed speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the quad A15 can give a Exynos 5450 some advantages, ST-Ericsson's A9600 with a 2.5 GHz max clock for the CPU (though dual core) and a G6400 might still take the crown at the high end.

The T658 is definitely a step above the T604, and the 5450 will presumably use a quad core configuration of the T658. It should be good competition for the G6400 in the Nova A9600.

Why just a quad T658? that would only bring 2x math performance at the same clock speed as T604, and some other improvements, but essentially gaming performance would not be more than 2x max..probably less @ the same clock speed/core count.
http://www.arm.com/products/multimedia/mali-graphics-hardware/mali-t658.php

I thought the main advantage to T658 was the increase in core count to 8...

Yea ST E have a beast on the way.. is that 28nm FD-SOI do you know?

The fab situation is the deal maker/breaker for the A9600, so the specifics are tough to determine at this point. I guess they've been planning for FD-SOI... I'm not really sure if they're producing out of Crolles or from GloFo right now...

Regardless, Apple's A7 should fill in any gap for a high end Series6 equipped SoC for comparison purposes.

While scalability of core count has been doubled with the T658, a well appointed smartphone implementation should still range within comparable constraints as the previous Malis (I think each generation has been fairly analogous core for core). I assume the eight core option is there for licensees to potentially target tablets, STBs, automotive, etc., kind of like PowerVR allowing for 16+ scalability.

I find it odd that Exynos isn't supported in Windows 8. Is it because Samsung is pretty much keeping the chip to itself? They're the only company outside of Intel that both designs SoCs as well as owns its own foundries, allowing for potentially much better product margins/prices by cutting out any middle men.

I find it odd that Exynos isn't supported in Windows 8. Is it because Samsung is pretty much keeping the chip to itself? They're the only company outside of Intel that both designs SoCs as well as owns its own foundries, allowing for potentially much better product margins/prices by cutting out any middle men.

Maybe it's a DXTC (or lack thereof) related problem. There was some speculation about this sort of complication before.

Because the Mali400 GPU isn't DX9 compliant.
We've been through this a couple of times already.

Thats only applies to the 4 series Exynos....

And I'm pretty sure that's the one he was talking about.

Tegra 2 and Snapdragon S3->S4 support Windows 8 for that same reason. On the TI side, only OMAP4470 will support Windows 8 because of the GPU's DX9/L3 compliance.

It must be something to do with Samsung mostly using the chips in-house. All of the ARM platforms initially supported on win-on-arm are chip suppliers, not device manufacturers.

I saw some speculation that suggested that ST-E and Rockchip are in the next batch of supported hardware.

I was more referring to the 5 series Exynos, which should have the T604 and thus DirectX compliance. The Exynos 5250 will be Samsung's flagship SoC for 2012 after all.

Well if its true they aren't on there then thats a bit of a mystery..perhaps Microsoft is going to standardise around a couple of SOC designs to avoid fragmentation...ala WP7.

I was more referring to the 5 series Exynos, which should have the T604 and thus DirectX compliance. The Exynos 5250 will be Samsung's flagship SoC for 2012 after all.

Where did you see that Exynos 5000 series won't support Windows 8?

Let's see if and by what degree we'll see in decent quantities any A15 powered SoCs in devices this year and that irrelevant of SoC manufacturer.

Where did you see that Exynos 5000 series won't support Windows 8?

More the reverse, Microsoft hasn't stated that Windows 8 will support the Exynos 5 series. They always call out 3 platform partners: nVidia, TI, and Qualcomm. And since I assume that you can't just randomly install the nVidia ARM version of Windows 8 on Exynos hardware, that is what leads me to believe that Exynos isn't supported.

Now, certainly Microsoft could put in the time and effort to make a version of Windows on ARM work for the Exynos 5 series, but I suspect they have not immediately done so because Samsung keeps that line to themselves, whereas all the other partners license their chips to other companies. I would guess that qualifying the Exynos chip for Windows 8 is not cheap, Samsung balked at letting other companies use their chips for their devices, and decided to go with what was available for Windows 8 hardware.

More the reverse, Microsoft hasn't stated that Windows 8 will support the Exynos 5 series. They always call out 3 platform partners: nVidia, TI, and Qualcomm. And since I assume that you can't just randomly install the nVidia ARM version of Windows 8 on Exynos hardware, that is what leads me to believe that Exynos isn't supported.

Now, certainly Microsoft could put in the time and effort to make a version of Windows on ARM work for the Exynos 5 series, but I suspect they have not immediately done so because Samsung keeps that line to themselves, whereas all the other partners license their chips to other companies. I would guess that qualifying the Exynos chip for Windows 8 is not cheap, Samsung balked at letting other companies use their chips for their devices, and decided to go with what was available for Windows 8 hardware.
There is only one Windows 8 on ARM version. Microsoft will not be making a different version for each SoC. I think I read somewhere that Samsung wanted to use their Exynos 5 chipset for a Windows 8 tablet in the future, but I've no idea where that was and if it was just a rumor or not. There is nothing stopping Samsung from doing so anyway.

If you want to read some more about Windows on ARM then read this post on one of Microsoft's blogs:http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/...ndows-for-the-arm-processor-architecture.aspx

More the reverse, Microsoft hasn't stated that Windows 8 will support the Exynos 5 series.

Microsoft hasn't stated Windows 7 would work on my custom desktop and htpc either.. ;)

Samsung hasn't clarified either what GPU the Exynos 5250 will contain.

Back