Experts Envision the Future of the Internet

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Link

I didn;t read the entire article but found this worth metioning...

"Experts also agreed that by 2014 network security still will not be stable enough for Americans to feel comfortable voting online.

"I don't think they'll be voting in 100 years online," said Curtis Gans of the Committee for the study of the American Electorate. "To vote online, you would have to have 100-percent reliability and protection against software failure, hackers, viruses, hardware failure, and privacy protection. I don't think that's ever going to happen."

I think he is terribly off the mark. Within a few decades we shall be voting online. As far as security is concerned, even current voting methods aren't 100% reliable.

Deepak said:
I think he is terribly off the mark. Within a few decades we shall be voting online. As far as security is concerned, even current voting methods aren't 100% reliable.
I dont like the idea of online voting. I still think having a location to go to, and a private chamber/cubicle to vote is the best .

epic

Yeah, keep the current format although continue to weed it for "bugs" so we don't get a bunch of jerks demanding recounts.

epicstruggle said:
Deepak said:
I dont like the idea of online voting. I still think having a location to go to, and a private chamber/cubicle to vote is the best .

epic

Oh u mean u don't like the prospect of hackers or viruses, but u're ok with the non-counting of the votes, the 82 people who go through your voting card, if it gets counted, cameras outside, people looking, possible tracking of the paper... If someone wants to do something, he will find a way. If someone wants to cheat an election, he will cheat. It's difficult, but it can happen, we've seen it already.

london-boy said:
epicstruggle said:
Deepak said:

epic

Oh u mean u don't like the prospect of hackers or viruses, but u're ok with the non-counting of the votes, the 82 people who go through your voting card, if it gets counted, cameras outside, people looking, possible tracking of the paper... If someone wants to do something, he will find a way. If someone wants to cheat an election, he will cheat. It's difficult, but it can happen, we've seen it already.
i think you can make voting quite accurate with a few simple changes. Id have to give it more thought to make it as perfect as its possible, but here are a few things possible:
-switch to electronic voting with a receipt printed, and viewable by the voter.
-voter id cards mandatory. have the voting machines only turn on with the use of the voting card.
-making voter rolls public (not what you vote, but who voted).
-mandatory recount if results are within a certain lvl.
-making the software/os for the voting machine open source.

epic

Epic,
Online voting would be a big help for:

*Handicapped people
*Single parents
*Busy parents
*Stressed-out people
*Lazy bum people
*People on vacation/abroad
*Many others

Don't misunderestimate the power of the lazy bum, LOTS of people don't go vote simply because they can't be arsed to. When people order stuff, do their banking and pay their bills online, it's actually rather silly they can't also vote the same way.

Guden Oden said:
[...]
*Lazy bum people
[...]
Don't misunderestimate the power of the lazy bum, LOTS of people don't go vote simply because they can't be arsed to. When people order stuff, do their banking and pay their bills online, it's actually rather silly they can't also vote the same way.
If your a lazy bum person and cant be bothered to vote, then its their choice. Ive posted about this before, i think there should be some effort to vote. Im not saying people need to run a marathon to vote, but they need to get their butts off the sofa and get to a voting center/poll.

There is always the option of absentee ballots, although i think that should be reworked.

epic

Back