Epic: Gears Of War "Impossible" on PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a way to misinterpret a bad answer by a person whose credibility in technical aspects is questionable to a inquiry that none of us know the manner in which it was asked.

The PS3 can, and indeed will, handle UE3 There are pros and cons to middleware, and likewise middleware on competing platforms. But Epic is definately behind UE3 on the PS3. They recently talked about working on getting PS3 performance up to snuff (took a backseat maybe to GOW development?) and remember, it was only E3 2005 that they were wowing the world on the PS3 and praising it to anyone who would listen.

Everything else in the above blurbs is PR. See: Itagaki about DoA on the PS2...

That exactly what they want to imply. I wonder if they will ever put enought effort on the PS3 version of their engine to make it a good engine. Epic seems to be too small.

So what about the Lair devs who said it cant be done on 360? Are they wanting to imply the 360 is weaker?

It's PR in both cases, and also truth, because if you optimize for one machine it's not going to be perfect to translate back to the other.

Their is Cell, the different RAM setups, the EDRAM, those alone as widely differentiating factors.

These are two closely matched machines imo, so we'll get more of that. It isn't like Xbox-PS2 where 99% of the time the Xbox could handle any PS2 port with ease simply by brute force if nothing else (yes I know there were exceptions).

They recently talked about working on getting PS3 performance up to snuff (took a backseat maybe to GOW development?) and remember, it was only E3 2005 that they were wowing the world on the PS3 and praising it to anyone who would listen..

Yeah, weren't Epic the ones that claimed back then that UT2k7 is already running @ 60fps and still only on the PPU? I think that was short after E3 2005 iirc.

So what about the Lair devs who said it cant be done on 360? Are they wanting to imply the 360 is weaker?

Well it is. I think nobody seriously denies this. It's just a matter of how devs can make use of the console's advantages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think anyone who's followed Factor 5, and read their comments regarding Rogue Squadron on Xbox will know exactly what to take from Julian's comments. But, that's just me.

Or may'haps I'll just not touch the view post button anymore. :LOL:

I think anyone who's followed Factor 5, and read their comments regarding Rogue Squadron on Xbox will know exactly what to take from Julian's comments. But, that's just me.

Or may'haps I'll just not touch the view post button anymore. :LOL:

Hey c'mon now. How many times has that been explained already? He was only talking about the Xbox at the state that it was then, which was a GF2-powered devkit. And since all the Lair geometry is being run through the Cell first, it would indeed not be an easy port to the PS3.

</off topic rise to baiting>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back