ELSA hints GT206 and GT212

Nobody failed to notice any similarities in the background in both the Degustator (GT200b) and NordicHardware (GT200) pictures? :runaway:

Nobody failed to notice any similarities in the background in both the Degustator (GT200b) and NordicHardware (GT200) pictures? :runaway:

Seems totally different to me.
shows chips that have a ball layout that matches the chip pictures from DegustatoR:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1223796&postcount=70

o5nsbt.jpg

The Nordic Hardware pix:

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,8065.html

image3.php

You are grasping at straws. Anyone could have snapped those pictures and the stone is not the same.

Here's the original source of the nordic hardware shots (and they mention that they took the pictures themselves while visiting nvidia hq):
http://www.computerbase.de/news/hardware/grafikkarten/nvidia/2008/august/wirklicher_gt200-die/

The gt200 package is afaik 44m across - measured on that picture it would mean 23.4 mm for the die - ie neither 22 nor 26. It think we can conclude it's a g80...

Regarding the marble... maybe it's from the same press visit during nvision?
http://www.computerbase.de/news/har...8/august/fotos_rundgang_nvidia-hauptquartier/

And if the other pictures from degustator/tridum are also from the visit during nvision, then no wonder they had defective 55nm chips lying around - as we know they needed another respin ;)

they wouldn't make a ton of wafers for testing
They'd get around 100 chips from a single wafer.

What's moderately interesting is to ponder why the box is full of chips with the heatspreader removed. What kind of testing would lead to the removal? It looks like these chips were prepared for the consumption of journalists/visitors: "here's the naked chip".

Since the chips (devoid of heatspreader) don't have any text on them, it seems possible to make a mistake when handing them out. Perhaps this is how some people were seemingly given G80s :oops: and told they were GT200s. Other people seemingly were given 55nm GT200(b)s and told they were GT200s.

The amusing thing is, the wafer shot clearly shows a die that's significantly larger than any of these puportedly photographed GT200s.

Jawed

What's moderately interesting is to ponder why the box is full of chips with the heatspreader removed. What kind of testing would lead to the removal?
Err, conserving the caps for later reuse on healthy chips?
I guess an IHS couldn't get "defective" as the accompanying ASIC, so why waste the material! ;)

They'd get around 100 chips from a single wafer.

What's moderately interesting is to ponder why the box is full of chips with the heatspreader removed. What kind of testing would lead to the removal? It looks like these chips were prepared for the consumption of journalists/visitors: "here's the naked chip".

Since the chips (devoid of heatspreader) don't have any text on them, it seems possible to make a mistake when handing them out. Perhaps this is how some people were seemingly given G80s :oops: and told they were GT200s. Other people seemingly were given 55nm GT200(b)s and told they were GT200s.

The amusing thing is, the wafer shot clearly shows a die that's significantly larger than any of these puportedly photographed GT200s.

Jawed

well to make a mistake like that :LOL:, thats a pretty big mistake, or it was purposeful.

well to make a mistake like that :LOL:, thats a pretty big mistake, or it was purposeful.
If I remember right, NVidia was pretty cagey about the die size of G80 (and it seems that we've only recently had a picture of a naked one...). GT200 has been a guessing game all along, with no official statement that I can remember. So NVidia being deceptive is hardly unlikely.

Jawed

If I remember right, NVidia was pretty cagey about the die size of G80 (and it seems that we've only recently had a picture of a naked one...).
If I can remember right, someone at VR-Zone had stripped off the IHS from an 8800GTX board more than an year ago. :???:

It's a 512-bit mem bus GPU from Nvidia with a smaller die than a 65 nm GT200. You can guess it's a 55nm GT200 whatever the marketing codename is, but it's still speculation.

If I remember right, NVidia was pretty cagey about the die size of G80 (and it seems that we've only recently had a picture of a naked one...). GT200 has been a guessing game all along, with no official statement that I can remember. So NVidia being deceptive is hardly unlikely.

Jawed

for G80 they even made us expect a non-unified GPU!

Back