Elite, Braben, Kickstarter!

@Davros do you still have your pedals plugged in? The game is probably detecting one of them automatically. If not then check if roll is bound to your throttle.

I still dip into Elite from time to time, the recreation of the milky way is still one of my favourite game things.

Frontier's started doing some behind the scene livestreams recently. The first was on how they generate the galaxy. It's a community stream rather than GDC style talk, which is why I put it here instead of the Dev paper/video thread. Interesting none the less.

The bit that was new to me was that they were doing time slicing of solar system formation. I just assumed they picked a distribution of matter for planet placement. They do actual account for how planets migrate orbits and aggregate during star system formation. :love:

Actual presentation bit starts about 11 minutes in.

Latest beta finally fixed the 'beige plague' that made the landable rocky/metallic airless moons, well beige.

They're overhauling the GI and rock scattering system in Q4. In the meantime, the recoloured shaders makes them look much nicer from space/in orbit. Might even go exploring again for a while once it hits live. Chilling out doing that does tend to increase my wine consumption though... :-|

nQnjY99.png

p5AyiEz.png

7FoRPIG.png

Back